1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Baggy pants ban "unconstitutional," rules US judge

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by das müffin mann, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. das müffin mann

das müffin mann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hooray for the fashion police :shadedshu

MIAMI (AFP) - A Florida judge has deemed unconstitutional a law banning baggy pants that show off the wearer's underwear, local media reported Tuesday.
    ADVERTISEMENT

A 17-year-old spent a night in jail last week after police arrested him for wearing low pants in Riviera Beach, southeast Florida.

The law banning so-called "saggy pants" was approved by city voters in March after supporters of the bill collected nearly 5,000 signatures to put the measure on the ballot.

The teen would have received a 150 dollars fine or community service, but he spent the night in jail due to a history of marijuana use, the Palm Beach Post newspaper said.

"Somebody help me," said Palm Beach Circuit Judge Paul Moyle, before giving his decision.

"We're not talking about exposure of buttocks. No! We're talking about someone who has on pants whose underwear are apparently visible to a police officer who then makes an arrest and the basis is he's then held overnight, no bond."

"Your honor, we now have the fashion police," added public defender Carol Bickerstaff, who asked the law be declared "unconstitutional."

The judge agreed with Bickerstaff immediately, reported the Post.

Laws that ban low-slung pants are on the books in several US cities, including Delcambre, Louisiana, where offenders can be fined up to 500 dollars or jailed for up to six months. :eek::shadedshu:wtf:

Dallas, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia are among the larger US cities considering similar measures.

2. Ongaku New Member

Thanks Received:
    damn backwards people...I get it not to wear pants halfway off ur ass in school, but in public? come on...

3. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    More a question of taste than anything. I personally don't care for it, but I think legislation is ridiculous and a waste of tax dollars and the legal systems time. However, just for fun, at the mall, etc., I have been known to mention to someone with low hanging britches "Hey did you know your pants are falling down"? It's awful funny to see the looks on their faces!:laugh:

4. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    actully its indecnt, why would i want to see your undergarments, they are supposed to be covered, i think though its not the place of the law, but your parents to teach you how to use a damn belt and dress decently

5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    While I don't feel that it is indecent, it does give them a very slovenly appearance.
    As much as I don't like the look, I like the fact that people are being arrested for simply poor taste even less. The "Nanny State" attitude has got to go.

6. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    "those darn kids and their 'rock-n-roll' hippie friends ought to be put behind bars!!!"

sound familiar? it should to these uptight baby-boomers...it ought to ring in their ears, as something they heard from their parents and neighbors...

I hate the look. I don't think you get me.. I HATEEEEEEE the look. Think it's absolutely absurd, and I laugh out loud at every idiot punk I see wearing his pants like that, sometimes until I'm positive he's heard me, and looks, then I just shake my head, and note loudly how much of a dork he looks like. But a law prohibiting it? STFU. Just STFU. I think every single illiterate, gangsta-wannabe, punk out there, is perfectly within his rights to wear his pants like that so the rest of us get a good laugh at their expense.

7. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i like my boss, he won't hire anyone that dresses like that, anyone that comes in for an app dressed like that, he toss's it after they leave.

Same thing with peircings, if a guy has any, he wont hire you.

8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Wait.
    Why is it that I never see any girls with pants hanging off thier ass in this manner? Why is it just guys? Damn sexists. :banghead:

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 but then again i get the same treatment because my pants are to tight :shadedsu

Now thats just plain sexist. i can understand if a guy or girl has to many visible piercings but any? Most guys today have at least 1 or both ears pierced on the lobe.

10. chron New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not even comfortable to dress that way. I mean, it's ridiculous; you've got some skinny little moron wearing "shorts" 10 sizes too big, and hanging so low he looks like he's wearing clown pants. I mean, I see this in the middle of summer. If you want your shorts to hang so low, WHY NOT WEAR PANTS.

These days it's "cool" to be stupid as shit

11. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    because he's ex US Army, and wants his employee's to dress respectable and look respectable. Women cant have more than a stud in each ear, or he send them home.

You can not have a beard, only short mustach

hair for men must be short and trimmed

womens must trimmed and no longer than the sholders.

Your clothing has to be ironed and your shoes have to be clean.

And he can judge how you will dress at work by how to present yourself to the rest of the world. I agree with him, if you wanna dress and look like a retard in the real world, you should work at fast food.

12. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guess people dont realize he can be taken to court for that by todays standards. I dont work there so i personaly dont care but the earing thing is pretty sexist.

13. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are a million and one places to work: if you don't like the dress code find a job elsewhere. And if you don't like being polite, don't do a service job. And if you don't respect driving rules, don't be a professional driver.

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  14. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    not really, someone tried that cause he said he wouldn't hire them because of how the looked when they applied. He didn't refuse based on race, creed, gender or creed. So no its not illeagal and it makes for a decent work enviroment. ITs not sexist, men shouldnt wear earings anyway.

15. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

hahahahahahahahahah that'll teach me to unignore just to see what he's saying hahahahahahahaha:laugh::laugh::laugh::roll::roll::roll: I must have missed the verse in the bible about not wearing an earring if you're male heheheheh

16. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    THAT is sexist. A piece of metal going through your flesh dosent have anything to do with what gender you are. So it shouldnt matter if your male or female. So saying a male shouldnt wear earings is sexist because your descriminating against males. Thats like saying girls shouldnt wear guy pants.

17. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear the ruling. It's total bullshit to put a ban on the clothes we wear if they aren't "indecent", meaning showing the guys ass. Reminds me of a country were the women can't show their hair or skin...... If it keeps going, who knows, there may be a government dress code..... Not my idea of a free country.

18. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    However it did remind me of one of my favorite stand up comic skits that can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkg0WLj7TJ8

It's all funny as hell, but scroll to 4:00 if you want to see the part that I am talking about. I will warn you about the language, lots of f bombs.

19. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    This isnt even a free country now. Might as well all hail dictator Muslm Obama.

20. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Obama isnt even Muslim.. And if you want to sag your pants down to your knees that fine with me. I think its funny watching them hold their pants while they run :laugh:

21. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    :lol: Do some research on his past. Hes "Christian" now to be in office. Im sure everyone remembers him wanting to take oath Qu'Ran

22. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that is not sexist, thats traditional, i was raised traditional, and have no respect and will not even pay attetion to a man with a piercing, and won't look second at a girl with more than an earing in each ear. Its how i was raised, and how ill raise my own children. Traditional American Values kept us a nation for 250 years, and id like another 250 years out of my nation

23. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its the 21st century now not the 1800s or the 50s. People like you need to realize that everything will change and not one person like yourself will keep that from happening. And its not traditional anymore, its just plain dumb to discriminate against someone because of what they want to do to their own body that they consider fasion.

24. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Where your argument fails is your assumption that YOUR values are AMERICA's values.

America's only real values are the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, per the constitution.

Your close-mindedness will surely lead to the demise of your values in society.

Nick89 says thanks.
  25. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    the man speaks the truth.

who said your children will obey you? If I had a parent that strict, I would not heed to them at all, I wouldn't even acknowledge you. Take my word, I'm a teenager.