1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"banned"

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Ahhzz, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    So, if a user's profile shows "banned", does that mean they can't post anymore? Or is that some shorthand I hadn't noticed for something else? It looks like this one signed up, made two semi-rude posts, and was subsequently banned. Am I reading this right?
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    yup
  3. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah a banned user's previous posts are not removed automatically...
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    He could have been a previous member that was banned and tried to sneak back using a different login name. They mods can see the IP address from where you connect.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, though it doesn't necessarily mean a permanent ban. Bans can be for a few hours, or a few days, weeks or months...

Bans or infractions aren't limited to what a member posted.
    And even if it concerns a post, more often than not the offending post is removed.
  6. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    I thought to ask the same question but never did ask. If its not permanent they were assimilated if it's permanent should say DONE :laugh: Any way the ones that were banned yah they were asking for it. Great moderators here my friend had joined and was acting a fool I told him to stop being a jerk. Well he received a PM and warned he caught on quick :D
  7. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Wow, I hope he wasnt really banned.I checked his post history and his posts were not offensive or crude. If he is gone for good I'll lose that little bit of respect for the moderation team.

Wow, I hope he wasnt really banned.I checked his post history and his posts were not offensive or crude. If he is gone for good I'll lose that little bit of respect for the moderation team.

Edit:

Maybe. He only had two posts. Neither of them offensive.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  8. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I don't think they banned him for no good reason.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Actually, to be fair, he did go in and edit my post before quoting it, and really offered very little to the thread :)
    and you missed the rest of his other post....

True, not offensive, altho if we banned everyone who posted without adding anything useful, we'd all be in some hot water. I just added him to my ignore list, and then saw he had banned listed under his profile name, and asked the question :)
    Dent1 says thanks.
  10. Dent1

Thanks Received:

Fair enough, I guess the mods were right to take action. But a ban. I've seen guys in this forum swear, insult each other, talk fanboy trash talk to one another, throw personal insults etc and they get a warning?
  11. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    lots of posts get deleted by the mods and then infractions are given. also, people who get banned here generally have a long history of causing trouble. trust me, if themailman gets a news position after his record setting point count then the rules are wacky but fair in their own way.
    Dent1 says thanks.
  12. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    This guy got an automatic ban because the forum spam-filter (which is not human) thought that he was a spammer

However, the very few new members for whom this error occurs have the option to send a private message to any moderator so that they get their account re-instated, without any penalties whatsoever since it's just a genuine mistake of the sensitivity of the forum's spam-filter.

However this member in question hasn't yet contacted us about the mistake.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
    Fatal, _ALB_R3D X, Ahhzz and 1 other person say thanks.
  13. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got banned the very first post cause the spam filter thought my homepage was spam!!!
    Anyway I remember contacting you and in a couple of minutes I was back in action :toast:
  14. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    True enough, all. Thx for the responses :) And thanks BP. Apparently, can't thank you in this thread ;)
  15. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I thanked her for you :)
    Ahhzz says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    TPU reserves the right to deny access to the site or ban an account for any or no reason.
    Rest assured that if a member is banned there was a reason.

The reason that a member gets banned is between that member and the moderation staff and is not considered public information so will typically not be open for discussion.

If you want to know what constitutes a potential ban, read the forum guidelines.

If you have questions on a ban it is always good practice to contact one of the moderation staff via PMs as opposed to asking publicly. This will not guarantee an answer if you were not the one banned.

Okey dokey?
  17. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think its good idea to have these discussions every so often, to remind people that TPU is a privilege rather than a right, and also people who don't read the rules (like me) get to know how things work slowly.
  18. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I thought this thread was done, but saw another response. Kreij, I've got a great deal of respect for you, especially considering your personal life right now. However, I think you're out of line here.

First off, I didn't ask why the user was banned, I just asked if the "banned" under his name meant he couldn't post any more.

Secondly, I have to agree with Fourstaff (despite disagreeing with his quote of your post), that it's good to discuss this sort of thing. I realize TPU is a privilege, not a right, and definitely not a democracy. But if we've got a situation where banning is going on with little to no reason, and less explanation, people won't want to come back, and I NEED the knowledge that this community provides. I like people to come back.

Thirdly, I certainly didn't assume I deserved an explanation (or guarantee of one) as to why he was banned, even if some of us did banter around possible reasons (before BP showed us the error of our ways :respect:), and best that I could tell, did it while keeping a very respectful tone for each other.

I guess my issue with your response, is that it seemed like you came in to smack people asking questions down. We seemed to be keeping it pretty civil in here, BP didn't seem to have issue with us, and I saw W1zz in here checking out the thread at least once late in the game, and he seemed to have no issue... What happened to make you see the need to come lay down the law?
  19. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought Kreij was being diplomatic with in depth explanations as to why BP was delivering more general answers. I didn't take what he said as being mean spirited, but rather reasoning and a better way to handle the conversation that started to appear from Dent1. If you notice Kreij quoted no one specific, it was a general comment to all reading is all;)
    Ahhzz and qubit say thanks.
  20. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Nobody's intention here is to smack people from asking questions, rest assured. Kreij was just laying down the rules of the forum and how things are dealt with here in an objective manner, he wasn't specifically replying to you or to anyone. There's nothing wrong with that, it only helps to clarify things out :)

Edit: See Sneekypeet's post above, he explained it better.
    qubit says thanks.
  21. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ya what she said:p
    qubit says thanks.
  22. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    A question related to moderation requiring clarification?
  23. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Ahhzz ! Since you took the time to quote me and repectfully state you position, I'll be happy to return the compliment :toast:

Stating forum policy is never "out of line", but read on ...

Yes, you did. I didn't accuse you of that or imply that you did. FYI, once banned you can no longer post for the duration of the ban.

Discussion is always good. We promote it greatly here on TPU and allow a great deal of freedom in what you can post. It's just that in this case you can get more information from a moderator than the general community. ;)
    We are always happy to help. It's our job.

No one was out of line. I don't think anyone in this thread suggested that either.

Nope, not laying down the law. Just letting everyone know best practices when it comes to issues regarding banning or infractions.
    For all of your information, when we "lay down the law", there is a lot of behind the scenes discussion on what occurred and as moderators we are held to a standard of behavior, a standard of following acceptable guidelines for moderation and standards on how we deal with the members both in the forums and in PMs.
    We are human just like you all, and yes, we get our asses kicked on occasion too. ;)
    Ahhzz, qubit and Easy Rhino say thanks.
  24. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    You sure this isn't the onset of Moses syndrome? Old Ahhzz seems pretty sure ;)
  25. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    1 We have the coolest mods on TPU. End. :rockout: That we can have a conversation like this and others like it is testament to that

2 I've learned that "banned" under a username doesn't necessarily mean a permaban, as my observations had suggested