1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Basic Server setup

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by mlee49, Feb 10, 2009.

1. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I'm interested in using my secondary rig as a server for ftp file sharing and maybe a gaming server. I dont know the basics about setting up a server rig so can anyone help? What are some good specs and why. Is it possible to set up a basic server with back up parts? Any good links for server builds only? Has anyone set up their own server and if so what works best for ftp/gaming?

I've got a few more questions but I think I want to get the basics out of the way first. Thanks!
  2. Guru Janitor

Guru Janitor New Member

Thanks Received:
    For a FTP/gaming server, you really don't need much. I used the specs in my sig down below as a server for a long time. Really surpasses the need of what you want, especially if you're gonna be using linux.

All you need is a pretty high clocked single core, dual if you are gonna be using it as a high slot gameserver, and like a gig of RAM. No video card obviously, unless theres no onboard. I ran myne headless for a while too.

If you want gaming... SRCDS is great for source games. It is the official Source Dedicated Server. http://srcds.com/

I ran my FTP using...oh crap, I'll have to get back to you on that. I wasnt worried about security as myself, and one other person used it, so I just used a basic program that let you see the entire computer, no need for usernames or anything...It had a webbased GUI, that let you dial in from any computer and you could admin the entire computer. The FTP server was an added plus to this. But I'm sure something like filezilla would work wonders.
    mlee49 says thanks.
  3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Great thanks! I'm going to check the site about gaming servers, but I think I can install a quick Filezilla to allow for upload/dl's to my friends.

Any linux distro's recommended for ftp serving?
  4. Guru Janitor

Guru Janitor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used Ubuntu 8.04

Was pretty quick, probably coulda been a lot quicker though...connecting to the FTP I mean, once on, file transfers were just as fast as any other, and I've used quite a bit hosted FTP's.

I run on these network speeds

[​IMG]

Gaming never lagged, even with two full 16 slot CS:S servers, one running GunGame. And it took about 2 seconds to connect to the FTP via LAN, I never asked my friend how fast it was for him to connect over the internet, I'm sure it was around that.

I'm trying to figure out the name of that program I used for FTP, even if you dont use it for FTP, its got a bunch of great tools for other admin type stuff. I'll let you know when I remember/find it.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009