1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Batman Arkham City PC Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by MxPhenom 216, Nov 23, 2011.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the Batman Arkham City PC Discussion Thread​

Batman Arkham City PC Features

-Tesselation
    -DX11
    -Nvidia PhysX​

Batman Arkham City for PC was released today and can be had for $40 on Steam if you have Arkham Asylum already in your library.

I made this thread because I didn't see any thread already made about this game. I feel this game diserves special attention and a healthy discussion, because Rocksteady gave PC version some benefits that most games right now(other then Battlefield 3 really) do not have.

I have been playing this game for the last hour, and I definitely give props to Rocksteady this game is great on the PC. Tesselation, DX11 lighting and other features, and Nvidia PhysX that actually work. Everything looks great and the tesselation features add a lot to the Arkham City World; not to mention it hads some great texture features to Cat Women ;). Overall, i love Arkham Asylum but i think i will love this iteration even more. I love the way these games capture the character we know as BATMAN! Great work RockSteady.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to pick this up as soon as I can afford it. I'm too busy with Skyrim at the moment. I loved Arkham Asylum, and Mark Hammill as the Joker is absolutely brilliant.

I've heard a lot of really good things about this game from my friends.
  3. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I'm hopefully going to pick this up tomorrow after I finish some work on my car.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    One thing that needs to be done is new drivers for the game. I have noticed really bad microstutter to the point it freezes for a split second. Not bad, but new drivers from atleast Nvidia would probably help. I love the tesselation and what tesselation can really do to a game. Can make it much more immersive, and gives everything more character. Just great, even if people hate nvidia for promoting it so much, you cannot deny that it offers more to the game environment and characters
  5. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Awesome game so far.. needs a patch. DX11 runs like shit, I have to run it in DX9 for now. Catwoman's Whip makes me hot.
  6. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Cat women's body gives me a stiffy in the first scene of her haha! Its not to bad. a little stuttery
  7. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bought the physical verion, hopefully it reaches me sooooon.
  8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Played about an hour on a 6950 2GB, with 11.11 drivers. Gonna try the hotfix NAOW. :shadedshu Was hard to stop playing.:D
  9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone seen a benchmark mode ?
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yep, it's got one.
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  11. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    agreed

Best part of the game is how fluid the combat and fighting system is.
  12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    START:
    [​IMG]

FINISH:
    [​IMG]

Kinda broken on AMD cards ATM.:banghead: Seems locked to 60FPS max, too. Takes about 90 seconds, 6 different areas, maybe?
  13. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    Been playing since yesterday, or well, I'm headed off to visit my brother until the 28th, so I just got my toes wet in the game really. But I'm sort of ok with that, AMD needs to put out a better driver than 11.11a, there are parts that are awful framerate-wise, and hopefully they'll have a good 11.11x driver. My 6850 is getting, according to the benchmark, 30max, 25avg, and 5min...:banghead:...which is killing me. Somehow I doubt they'll get a good driver out the door for the game by the time I return, but that's not the only problem, the other problem is that it's a port, I think the game needs to be optimized better for PC to start with, Not just the driver layer.

Luckily, somehow, my massive framerate drops have been limited to a few instances, none of which were in the midst of massive action, so it's sort of been okay, but the 16 :eek: gig download took way too long with Valve's servers so heavily hit.
  14. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    yeah i get the same frame rate drops as you. Its either game doesnt run to well in DX11 or its card drivers
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I'll jsut step out and say that the "TWIMTBP" programm is i nfull effect, and for this Batman game, like it's predecessor, "TWIMTBP" is on nVidia cards.

:banghead:

And liek it's predecessor, AA is broken on AMD cards, as you can see in the screenshots I posted above.

I'm mad, becuase that's just not gonna stop me from playing the game, but it is going to taint my playing experience.

I hate you, nVidia, and your Piss-X and "TWIMTBP" program!!!:mad:

"TWIMTBP" is how I wish, not how your money chooses.:mad:

:nutkick:

Should have bought a console version. :roll:
  16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    this game is the main reason why i didnt get a hd6950 a few months ago haha
  17. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still haven't beat Arkham Asylum. Maybe by the time I get around to doing that, they will have the AMD issues fixed and the game will be on sale.
  18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Since AA works with Arkham Asylum now, it shouldn't be too hard getting it working with Arkham City. I'm picking this up tonight and I'll see what I can do. I assume they're using the same Unreal engine? As far as DX11 goes, I wonder if there is a giant underground tesselated ocean (or something like it) in this game like Crysis 2?
  19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, engine seems to be primarily the same, with some updates.

As to the AA thing, jsut look at the "Gotham Monorail" sign in the second image above, and try telling me AA is working...:laugh:

It took AMD how long to get Asylum working?

As to Tesselation, I disabled it via CCC. That's not what is causing the poor performance, unfortunately, as that's easy to fix.

SLowdowns happen due to what seems to be testure streaming from the CPU? Once you get the game and see when it pauses/slows, you'll understand, i think. My 6770 pauses at the same exact times as my 6950, so it's not a real problem, just coding, IMHO.
    erocker says thanks.
  20. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    this wasnt made by Crytek. And it seems that tesselation is only on the right things. It looks great and works well. I doubt Rocksteady would go that route and make a whole tesselated ocean under the map
  21. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, we'll see.
  22. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    only part ive seen tesselation used so far was when i was down in this chimney of a building finding a way in to the building. oh and on Cat Women.
  23. John Doe Guest

Unreal 3 engine so you have to disable smoothFPS or put a higher number from the config file,

SS'es look nice BTW, reminds me of the old one. Will be buying this once I'm done with the other things.
  24. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    wow this game is great, it has side missions. Im definitely going to get my play time in this game!!!
  25. Abe504

Abe504 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea i have been playing it non stop. Just an Amazing game so far, glad i waited for the pc version. Rocksteady really need to be the official super hero game developers, just a really polished game.