1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Batman Arkham Origins just keeps looking better.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Frag Maniac, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Arkham Origins isn't next gen, but I have to say I'm slowly becoming a believer in Warner Bros Games Montreal. Some of the moves, gadgets, characters and enemies they're adding look pretty good. It's also going to be twice the size of the sectioned off Arkham City prison area in the last game. In fact the map is so much bigger that they've added Batwing fast travel. At first I worried it would just be the previous Arkham City map with Christmas window dressings, but clearly it's much more than that.

I'm also anxious to see how Batman is portrayed as being a mere vigilante new to crime fighting, and Black Mask looks like a cool villain. Granted Troy Baker may not be able to pull off Joker's voice as well as Mark Hamill, but keep in mind he's supposed to sound like young Joker, and there's SO much more to this game than just Joker. The crime scene analysis in itself is FAR advanced from anything AA or AC had. You can literally rewind a crime scenario viewing it in a ghost view of real time action to look for clues.

[yt]mq9-1oe671o[/yt]
    AnarchyLegion and Darkleoco say thanks.
  2. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Batman as an urban myth and scary monster, young and full of himself with a price on his head ... love it ... and finally a huge Gotham city, although I gotta say console demo in video has noticeable LOD pop-ins, PC version should have none of that.
  3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I chose this video because it's the best looking, smoothest one I've found. It's no doubt PC footage, it looks far better than the stage demo footage for the console reveal. Normally I'd say I don't give a hoot about the console versions but this game's success, like any other big title, is going to hinge on console sales, and I really think this dev team and anyone loyal to the Batman franchise deserves a good experience with it.

It's one saving grace console wise might be if they manage to port it to the PS4 and Xbox One, which should easily be able to handle it's graphics without lots of pop-ins. There was one cape glide segment in the vid where there seemed to be a noticeable hitch, but that kind of thing I chalk up to UE3's horribly inefficient texture streaming.
  4. Boozad

Boozad

Thanks Received:
    Can't wait for this game, AA and AC were near on perfection for Batfans like myself so this one should be a real treat.
  5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Batfans, I like it, I do believe you've coined a new term for the Batman universe.
  6. newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I am hoping they make a Batman with the old school corny feeling akin to the Adam West years.
    To me that IS Batman. The reboot of the comic with the gritty Dark Knight storyline all but killed my interest in Batman because I knew it would lend itself more to gadgets than it would intelligence.

The recent movies alone support that, where as Batman's suit was once simply clothing, he's now a walking block of Kevlar.

So not much of a Batfan, but do still enjoy the games.
  7. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I honestly dont know if I can play this game without the original voices that were in the first 2. It's almost a deal breaker for me. IMO, if youre going to have a trilogy like this, you need all the original people that were in the first two otherwise it completely ruins the illusion of the gameplay.
  8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    It just dawned on me that the vid I posted, despite looking better than the actual stage demo trailer, is PS3 footage. There are clearly PS3 controller icons showing, don't know how I missed that.

I enjoyed the TV series when I was a kid, but honestly, intelligent? I don't think so. The dialog and the silly riddles were pretty juvenile. It was as if every week they were trying to top the previous week's corny lines.

There's a reason he's referred to as the "Dark Knight". A guy that starts out as a hunted vigilante should be portrayed that way. He's also always been a gadget freak, even the TV show emphasized that, although quite poorly. There's no lack of intelligence shown in the writing, detective work or gadgetry shown in the games and movies either, and molded body armor makes a whole lot more sense than traipsing around in mere spandex when villains are shooting at you. The TV version of Batman comes off as more of a mock wrestling character than a real superhero. They didn't even attempt to portray Batman or the danger of his work accurately. They no doubt caved to get a young audience rating.

@CrAsH,
    It's still good quality voicing, and it's not supposed to sound like the mature versions of the characters. Remember this is a prequel that goes way back to the days of Batman's first encounters with criminals.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013