1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battery bank and power converter setup

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by akosidave, Apr 16, 2013.

1. akosidave New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys,

Need a little help here. I'm planning to setup an off the grid Ice cream stall(portable) and im having problems with the setup. Heres the scenario:

I need to run a 900w(rated power) soft ice cream machine for atleast 10 hours per day off the grid.

Problems:
    1. Will a 1000w power inverter do the job?
    2. what battery bank(assuming i would be using 12v car batteries) setup would do the job if i were to run the machine 10 hours non stop per day. How many batteries would i need?
    3. would it be possible if do off line charging( lets say, i would be charging at night then run the machine day time)?

hope to get some inputs! thanks in advance!:)

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Diesel generator dude. You'd need a lot of GOOD (meaning bloody expensive) batteries for that setup, and a heckuva charger if you wanted them full in the morning again.

Aquinus says thanks.
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You will never store that much power in batteries and run that off the grid. Frick is right, you need something to mitigate power loss if you have batteries setup. More often than not they're also deep cycle batteries so draining them dead is a very bad plan.

You should invest in a generator. If you're in an area with a lot of sun I would see if the state you live in subsidizes solar assuming that you may live in the US of A, and that could mitigate some losses but you'll have to put some serious thought into it. Anything that makes or moves heat is bound to use a ton of power and even with some really big UPSs. 1000 watts is a lot of power. You still have to recharge the batteries too, so I would go with the generator option.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  4. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
  5. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    TPU, the place for prospective Ice Cream men :toast:
    No but seriously, Ice cream vans run their stuff off of a 2 litre diesel engine. UPSs last about half an hour powering a couple of servers, so a shit load of UPSs would be required. Not practical.

6. akosidave New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for all the inputs. ill probable be considering a small Generator..:)