1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battle Field 2 Full Edition Game

Discussion in 'Games' started by bcgone5150, Jul 1, 2005.

1. bcgone5150 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well as many of you may have experienced by now, Battlefield 2 is very hard on your system and its resources. Mine has been at times running good and at times freezing and crashing.

I am running an ATI Radeon 9550

Some things to try that might help you if your having the same problems.

1. If your running the ATI drivers you can try the Catalyst 5.1 drivers.

These drivers worked for me for a little while then I started having problems. So I switched to the Catalyst 5.6 drivers and they worked for a while and then I started to have problems again. I suggest setting what ever drivers your using to "High Performance." Then running the game Video options on medium. The game looks sweet on medium settings. (I am currently running the Catalyst 5.6 drivers, and working on othe resolutions to the problem!)

2. You better make sure your card is as cool as you can get it.

I personally installed a PCI slot fan that has two fans on it, because the 9550 only has a heat sink on it. I suggest the PCI slot fan over putting a fan on the actual card because it will move much more air and be more effecitive in cooling the card. The fan speed is variable, but I just leave it on high to make sure the AGP card is cool.

After doing the above things I played for a while and then the game would freeze and crash at times again.

3. I suggest raising up the voltage setting on your Motherboards AGP slot. I moved mine from 1.5V to 1.7V. Again the game is running good. I read in other forums that the ATI cards like a lot of power.

So as of last night the game was running good again. We will have to wait and see, once I get the game stable I might push the overclocking issue since the 9550 is good for that. However, I need to make sure the game is definitely stable.

Also I tried the omega drivers that were based on the Catalyst 5.6 drives and the same. The game would freeze and crash. I might do some more experimenting with them. They are great alternative drivers.

I will keep you posted on any other findings as I come across them.

If you decide to share your findings please let us know what graphics card your using.

Good luck with BF2!

2. bcgone5150 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well got everthing up and running with the Catalyst 5.6 drivers, got new sound drivers and VOIP is working.

Oh by the way BF2 patch is out, helps a little bit.

3. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    hmm.. is the demo played better than i thought it would on my system :) (im assuming the engine is the same... would be dumb if it was different.)

4. bcgone5150 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you, the demo engine and the full version engine are the same. The game is a pain in the butt, however, once you get it working is runs pretty well. None the less it is fun when it works.

Plus I am runing itn on a 1.53 processor, so I am below what they recommend. Still the problems that have occured have not been from the lack of having a 1.7 processor.

5. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    what kind of crashing is it? and does it give you an error?

being even close to minimum specs, I find, is usually not a good idea at all. ESPECIALLY for a first person shooter. That game uses some massive shaders, so having something better than a downclocked 4 pipe card would definatly help, even if its ram was 128bit.

6. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have all driver isntalled lates versions i never have any probs rather in the demo as in the fĂșllgame
    i run it with everything turend on smoothly with 70 fps

7. bcgone5150 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well most of my crashes were the VPU recovery that ATI has, but sometimes the game was freezing. However, now it runs just fine. Sometimes I have network connection probs, but that is my wireless or the server. I am going to get a new processor when I have the money and adventually overclock the ATI 9550 I have. Plus I am going to wire the house I am adventually, I hate Linksys wireless.

Oh ya there is no error when it crashes.

8. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    vpu recover? sounds like the video card is overheating to me.

9. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just turn off VPU recover, it always created problems for me when I had my 9550 overclocked (stable).

10. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    when I have mine oc'd too far, if I dont turn it on, mine will just hard lock and ill have to restart.. withn it on, atleast I can revert to my stock settings without having to reboot. :)

11. bcgone5150 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya the stupid 9550 does not have a fan on it, I bought and installed a pci slot fan, am not getting the vpu recoverys anymore.

I am afraid to Overclock it because of heat issues, plus my room is pretty hot, not sure what the temp in the room is though.

My motherboard and processor stay between 33-35 degrees C though

even though I have a pci fan on the graphic card do you guys suggest ram heat sinks or even a fan on the card itself, I dont know any suggestions would be great!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005