1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battle of the Netbooks...Who Will Win for DanishDevil?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by DanishDevil, Nov 3, 2008.

1. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I am planning on purchasing a netbook in December. I will also be running a mATX system so I can take it with me wherever I go.

My idea is to be able to bench and game on the mATX system, and have the netbook for ultra portability and note-taking in class.

Because I'm a Business major, I need to be able to run Microsoft Office programs like Excel without a hitch. I would also like to be able to semi-multitask without a huge hiccup. Vista home prem. would be a plus, if it ran smoothly.

I want something really small and really light with at least 3-4 hours of battery life. It doesn't need to be 5.

I can upgrade the ram and hard drive no problem, so don't consider those a factor.

I wouldn't mind being able to play a few games on the run, namely Warcraft III, because my cousin and I play together all the time, and it would be great to just drive over from school with my netbook and play.

I theoretically have somewhere around $2500 to spend, and that includes my netbook and mATX system, so the cheaper my netbook, the more money I can put into my mATX system, but I'm looking to devote somewhere around $500-800 to the netbook.

Netbooks I like for various reasons:

hp mini 1000 (good keyboard, looks hot)

ASUS N10 (nVidia 9300m graphics. can play COD4 decently)

Any other suggestions, or opinions on these? I want to get some pros and cons down for 3-4 that I like, and then run a poll.

Thanks in advance guys.
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
  3. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I have the Dell mini 9 and I love the thing. Really good build quality. Mine has the 16gb ssd and 1 gb of ram. Windows XP is the OS. The thing is pretty fast and runs office 2007 just fine. I know you said that you don't want to get a dell so my next choice would be the HP mini 1000. Looks to be like a pretty sweet netbook.

As for speed, I think most of the netbooks are about the same because they all have the same cpu and mobile chipset in them. (a few exeptions on the more expensive ones) So you arn't going to see major difference at this point in time.
  4. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I'm definitely waiting until I get to the US to buy one. I will either buy local or online. I don't even think these Argentinians know what a netbook is...

And damn. That 3870's got Alzheimer's or something...

And I agree with you BrooksyX, most netbooks won't differ in performance much at all. The ASUS N10 does have the 9300m, though. Do you think you could run Warcraft III on your Mini 9 nicely?
  5. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I think I have a copy of warcraft 3 somewhere. Ill give it a try and get back to you. I don't think I would have any problem running Warcraft 3 on there. It runs WOW at about 15~25 fps depending on where I am at.
  6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    What details are you using? And yes, if it runs WOW fine, I'm probably set for WCIII. I'd really appreciate you trying it out, though.
  7. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
  8. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    All the settings are on low for WOW and the resolution is 800x600. If you bump to 1024 x 600 it doesn't really make a diffence.

I am installing Warcraft III on my main PC right now and then ill transfer it over to my dell mini after its done.
  9. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
  10. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man. Sounds like it should run just fine.
  11. tvdang7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    cool i just want to buy a netbook probably asus n270 so i can play wc3 dota sometimes with friends. they are cheap and have 120-160 gig hardrives depending on which you buy.
  12. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    When are you thinking of buying, tvdang7? I won't be able to buy until December, so if you get one before then, please let me know how you like it! And maybe I'll play some WCIII with ya sometime. Chlw anyone? :D
  13. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Okay I can confirm 100% that Warcraft 3 runs great on my dell mini. I had all the settings on High and the resolution was at 800x600x32bit (highest allowed). Didn't have any problems with speed. I could check the fps if you would like, just tell me how to get into the console and what the command is for it.

Oh and now that its on their I think Ill go ahead and leave it on there ;)
    DanishDevil says thanks.
  14. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if you really want a netbook man. With that budget you could buy a decent laptop and a good gaming rig...
  15. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ooo ooo that acer 1 laptop looks sweet and is only like $350.00 uses that there intel atom cpu, iunno shit about laptops though other than they kinda suck cuz you always hit that stupid maouse pad while your typing
  16. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    @ pb: You just disable the "tap to click" feature.

Thanks BrooksyX for testing that out for me. Maybe if you still have it on there in December, we can share gamer names and play a few games :toast:

I want to build a good benching rig, not just a gaming rig. If I got a laptop, I would probably get an hp hdx16t for around $1500. The real deal breaker is that I want something little and light to carry around. I have a Dell D820 currently, and it's WAY too heavy (magnesium shell). Even a 14" Inspiron is heavier than what I would like.
  17. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    You makin' yourself sound like a weak little snaught. Get the Asus N10 and don't think twice ;)
  18. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    hey call me a weak little snaught after you carry around a Dell D820 with a shitload of books and electronics in one backpack 20 blocks to and from school twice a day. My girlfriend can't even pick up the damn thing!
  19. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Very important question:

Do you need a nettop or a laptop?

If you are OK with a laptop, consider

(wait for it)

The *new* Apple MacBook. I've just bought one for the wife, and am now considering getting one for myself:

1./ Install vmware fusion on it, http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

2./ You can run MacOS AND WINDOWS at the same time! Any application you have for Windows, and I mean any, you can run on the Mac. the only limitation is (some) DirectX games. But you arent buying the laptop for gaming anyway.

[​IMG]

3./ You can get rid of that gay ribbon at the bottom of MacOS desktop

4./ You can use GESTURES even in windows! Fantastic for browing and scrolling through documents

5./ You get an easy introduction to virtualisation, which is pretty neat once you see how it works and how effective it is. I'm converted.

6./ If you really want to GAME on the laptop, just load BOOTCAMP, and you can have a native windows machine that can do anything a PC can do, since without MacOS, it IS a PC.

DOWNSIDE

1./ For me the 13" macbook is just a little too big for my taste. If only there was an 11 or 12" version, the form factor would be better. (and lighter)

2./ It still is a *little* gay :roll:
  20. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The ASUS N10 would be a good a good buy. However, the 9300M is going to hurt battery performance. My EeePC, which is very similar to the N10 but with the integrated GMA950, gets about 3.5 hours in Windows Vista with wireless and the Web-Cam Enabled. The 9300M will only decrease that number.

I think the $1000 price tag is beyond what he wants to spend, not to mention the battery life of the MacBook is a lot lower than he wants, and it is heavier than he wants also.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  21. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    I didn't actually call you that. I was just saying . . . :p

Either way, I beleive you should get the parts rounded up for the mATX build first.
  22. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I kind of already have those in mind ;)

Bigger than what I want, and I have a Zune. No go.

The great thing about the ASUS N10 is that like a WiFi switch, there is a 9300m switch, that will turn the discrete graphics on and off, although it does require a reboot. Also, a review that I read only cut the battery life down about 45mins out of the usual 4.5hrs by using it, so it doesn't seem to impact it horrifically.

Any other suggestions for netbooks? ASUS N10, hp Mini 1000, Dell Inspiron Mini 12 (same as mini 9, but a little bigger - if it's light enough, I may go for it. Let's get a list of suggestions, and put their differences so we can have a poll.
  23. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
  24. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I personally like my EeePC, should be getting the 2GB stick of ram I ordered for it today. If you are looking for some decient gaming, then I would say the N10 is your best bet, but if you mainly will be using the netbook for chatting and surfing, the extra GFX power really isn't needed IMO.
  25. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    True, but I really don't want a mac. There are WAY too many other people with them. And besides, they're a lot more expensive than a netbook would be, and the more I can contribute to my mATX system, the better.

Let me know how it runs with the extra RAM. Are you on XP or Vista on yours Joseph? I can't recall.

It's probably going to be used for chatting and surfing more than anything, but being able to boot up a decent game on a small little lappie would be nice, and I would probably pay an extra hundred or so dollars to be able to do that (and show it off teeheehee :cool:).