1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I decided to preorder today. Made the purchase through Origin although it was more expensive than of D2D. Did this for those 2+ beta days and anyway you'll have to have Origin installed although it seems that it's still in its infancy. Hope they don't screw up (download times, lost key-codes and the worse of all, hacked accounts).

2. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Hells ya, i can't wait to jump in on the Beta!!!!:)

And i believe the Beta isn't coming till around the end of this month sadly:mad: If it was today i wouldn't even be browsing the web right now lol.

3. newbsandwich

Thanks Received:
    I can't wait either. Anybody know how to get BF3 to show up in Origin as pre-ordered or something similar? My origin still shows the alpha under my games tab, but can't do anything with it. I pre-ordered mine thru D2D if it matters.

Hey FreedomEclipse, when do you usually play? I'd love to see you fly, sounds like you have a lot of experience. I never got good with the joystick as flying with the KB+M cause i only got to use a joystick when at my brothers. It takes getting used to!

4. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Play BF2?? I havent played that for a while now, but i might need to brush up on my bomb run skills so you never know! i might be playing online one night (GMT time zone)

5. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    Battlefield 3 at TGS, GAMEFest & Eurogamer Expo this month

Sunday, 11 September, 2011 at 19:09 PST | ^Scott^ | Print News

It's a busy month for Battlefield 3 with the game being shown at 3 different gaming conventions.

Update: 2 more events added below.

First up is the Tokyo Game Show from September 15th through the 18th. Battlefield Global Community Manager, Daniel 'zh1nt0' Matros has said he is flying out Tuesday to the event.

GAMEFest in the UK will also be showing Battlefield 3 and is being held roughly the same dates as The Tokyo Game Show, September 16th - 18th.

In Bratislava, Slovakia from September 16th through the 18th is IstroCON where Battlefield 3 will be on display.

Also in the UK is the Eurogamer Expo being held September 22nd through the 25th. Battlefield 3 will be playable.

In the Netherlands, Battlefield 3 will be at the Firstlook Expo being held October 1st through 2nd.

Any of these shows would be prime targets for a beta announcement. We are hearing September 27th as the start of the Battlefield 3 beta, which BF-Games.net is reporting as well. Since the Eurogamer Expo starts the week before September 27th, this could be a likely time for the beta to be announced. Keep in mind this is just speculation.

6. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    so much for starting the beta in september. might as well release the game on that day too

PhysXerror and CDdude55 say thanks.
  7. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, I'm at Gamesfest on Saturday. Will report my thoughts when I get back :)

8. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah WTF. Two weeks before release date?

9. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I know right? :laugh::laugh:

it seems they want to get as far into ironing out all the bugs and other shizzle by themselves before they allow people to play the beta so we get to find the bugs and problems that they didnt manage to find

10. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Am I missing something? I still see people saying beta is set most likely for the 27th, and I see nothing in Gullys post that dates 2 weeks before the 25th, only 3 weeks?

11. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    Spoiler alert. Don't watch if you are saving yourself for the SP game.

Battlefield 3 Xbox360 Leaked Gameplay

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  12. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    The Beta is rumored to be out the door by September 27th (preorders are supposed to get in 48 hours early though) which is more then two week before release on October 25th(over 3 weeks of Beta fun before the game is out).

I do hate the fact that the beta comes out at the end of this month, i was so hoping for an early beta release this month.

13. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I got my money on the beta going down about a week before it releases, thats what BC2 did. So I'm betting 2.5 - 3 weeks of beta at max. I too was hoping the beta would come sooner, but maybe best I wait, I put 120 hours into the BC2 PS3 beta, then another 80 into the PC beta, good thing that didn't burn me out though.

digibucc says thanks.
  14. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    That would suck, then what would be the point in the Beta?, might as well just get the actual game out the door.

15. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Probably just stress testing to be honest. Beta testing isn't the same as it was in the past. In the past if you were a PC gamer you were hardcore, you dealt with bugs, you crushed them yourself. Now days, PC gaming has grown (as has all gaming), people don't get into beta tests to test, so much as to demo. These people get mad at bugs, they judge the final product (that isn't even out yet) based on an issue they have in an alpha or a beta test. So developers are much more careful about what they put out there for testing, a lot more is done internally, they don't want some noob raging over some bug that they can fix, then spreading the news. Think of the physical warfare pack, they only had announced it for Europe, but hadn't finalized US pre-order bonuses and people just went insane over it, there was a thread that I think was over 100 pages long on their forums in no time.

The BC2 PS3 beta (which was 5 months before the game even released) was bug free, I don't think I ran into a single issue. And the PC beta was as well, might have seen a bit of flickering textures, but nothing to cause any real drama. I don't expect any drama with the BF3 beta either. This is mostly going to be (my guess) a test of Battlelog. They have tested 64 player servers by now, they have maybe tested a few hundred on them. But a few thousand, or tens of thousands is going to be the real test.

PhysXerror, Scrizz, Conti027 and 2 others say thanks.
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    digibucc says thanks.
  17. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    GTTV presents GameStop Inside Access -- THURSDAY @ 12a EST/11 Central

GameStop and SPIKE TV present an unprecedented behind the scenes look at four of the hottest fall blockbuster video games. UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception (tm), Battlefield 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, and Batman Arkham City. Get exclusive looks at the bonus gameplay you can only get when you pre-order at Gamestop.com. Never before seen Joker Carnival Challenge gameplay, first looks at UNCHARTED 3 Multiplayer maps, unprecedented access inside DICE Studios for Battlefield 3 and the developers at Ubisoft Montreal share the blueprint for the Assassin's framework.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
  18. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    YaY, can't wait to knife DiGiBucc
    again.

:D

19. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm why are there PC Beta movies around youtube ? Any1 check their Origin ?

EDIT: Most likely fake vids.

20. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I just have the unreleased version. No beta !

21. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    try it fool ;)

22. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  23. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    DICE on why the PC is the lead platform for BF3

DICE on Battlefield 3 PC as lead platform: “people don’t understand that the PC is more powerful”

Tom Senior at 11:37am September 14 2011 Comments 83

DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson has been talking to Eurogamer about why the PC is the lead platform for Battlefield 3. Console players have been concerned about the fact that the footage and screenshots of Battlefield 3 have mostly come from the PC version so far.

“I have to say that this discussion is a bit over the top because people don’t understand that the PC is more powerful than a console – they haven’t looked under the hood and in detail,” says Troedsson.

“We always want to show a platform that we have chosen to be our lead platform. In this case we did choose PC as the lead platform; it’s the one that has been, mostly, driving development forward. That is the reason why we have spearheaded a lot of the key assets with this as well.”

Troedsson tells Eurogamer that DICE uses PC as the lead platform in order to create the “unique” features that are only possible with the extra power of the PC, 64 player maps being the main one. Troedsson says that large scale battles are “not possible” on consoles because of demanding requirements “like destruction, like scale, vehicles and this kind of thing.”

You can get a sense of one of those 64 player battles from the Battlefield 3 Caspian Border trailer, filmed on a PC of course.

DICE Responds to Battlefield 3 (XBox) leak

by Robert Purchese

13/09/2011 @ 17:21
    Over the weekend, developer build footage of Battlefield 3 on Xbox 360 was splashed onto the internet. EA subsequently yanked it down.

DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson told Eurogamer this afternoon that this wasn't how he wanted people to experience Battlefield 3.

"As people have probably noticed, when we show our games - we are very proud of what we're doing - we always want to show it in the best light. We want to show the product as good as possible.

"Watching the game in crappy 320x200 resolution on YouTube is not the way that we want people to experience the game.

"We'd rather have them wait for us to show it in its real HD glory," he said. "There are a lot of hard hours that have gone into this from the team, and naturally we're disappointed. But, yeah, things happen.

The leak raised questions about why DICE hasn't yet released proper video fotoage or screenshots of Battlefield 3 on console - besides the off-screeen footage seen on US chat show Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and on-stage at the EA Gamescom press conference.

"I understand you mostly see PC footage. It's all part of what kind of strategy we use for what we want to show and when, and what the lead platform is," explained Troedsson.

"People shouldn't worry. We play the 360 and the PS3 version every day in the office. I don't expect people to be disappointed by this."

"We always want to show a platform that we have chosen to be our lead platform. In this case we did choose PC as the lead platform; it's the one that has been, mostly, driving development forward. That is the reason why we have spearheaded a lot of the key assets with this as well.

"We'll show this on console as well," he added, "and when the beta goes live people will be able to play it on console and they can make up their minds for themselves if they believe we've been hiding something."

The PC was picked as lead platform, Troedsson explained, to build "unique" features "we felt we really needed in the game". Things like 64-player multiplayer, which is "not possible" on console when combined with aspects "like destruction, like scale, vehicles and this kind of thing".

"I have to say that this discussion is a bit over the top because people don't understand that the PC is more powerful than a console - they haven't looked under the hood and in detail," Troedsson elaborated.

"What we're really striving to do with Battlefield 3 is make the most out of each and every platform. And that also means between PlayStation 3 and 360, because they're quite different under the hood. So we've been spending a lot of time with all of these.

DICE recently revealed how Battlefield 3 uses near imperceptible black lines to fill the screen and fit a native 720p resolution on console. This allows DICE to save memory and boost performance.

What DICE won't do on console, however, is scrap jets.

"No, that's not true," said Troedsson. "If you play on console you will be able to play with jets as well."

EyEwearGlasSeS and Black Haru say thanks.
  24. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:

but no one really needs to read the first one, everything there is in the xbox leak article as well.

25. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    Planet Battlefield - Battlefield 3 PC Beta Ready, Waiting on Microsoft & Sony

Wednesday, 14 September, 2011 at 13:51 PST | ^Scott^ | Print News
    Speaking at the FNAC meeting in Paris, France, DICE GM Karl Magnus Troedsson gave a co-op demo of Battlefield 3 and answered questions. According to Planete-Battlefield.fr (unrelated to us), Kusa (French Community Manager) said the PC beta is ready, but now they are working with Microsoft and Sony to "accelerate preparations". From what we have heard, it takes 2-3 weeks for Microsoft and Sony to approve content, running it through tests to make sure it won't brick your console among other things. That said, we have no idea when the build was submitted to them. As far as we know, the the Battlefield 3 beta is still slated for sometime this month. Via EA UK Forums.

Planet Battlefield - GAMEFest: Q&A w/ DICE General Manager, KM Troedsson

Wednesday, 14 September, 2011 at 3:10 PST | ^Scott^ | Print News
    DICE General Manager, Karl-Magnus Troedsson just finished giving a pre GAMEFest Battlefield 3 presentation and demo in Birmingham, UK. The Gamedigital twitter sat down with Mr. Troedsson behind the scenes to ask some fan submitted questions. Of course the Q&A ended with the infamous beta question, but no solid date was given.

EyEwearGlasSeS and DannibusX say thanks.