1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    So release the PC version so we get a jump start :D I should get 2 beta codes because of MOH and one from BF3 preorder.
    That way I can get my son over to test it out with me too. They gave me a code for my Bday so I got BF3 for 44.99.

2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Oh ffs

3. raptori

raptori

Thanks Received:
    what was the alpha download size ??

4. Syuzeren

Syuzeren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Around 2GB

5. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    I created this "Battlefield Works With Anything" meme/parody, what y'all think?

edit: I could think of 1,000s of more but I don't want to over do it, here is the last one

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    GullyFoyle and TheMailMan78 say thanks.
  6. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Source

---------------------

Interesting to see Team Deathmatch back, I'm assuming thats to steal COD players away.

7. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    So Kurgan, me and you are going to dominate right?

8. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    No reason to change what works.

TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  9. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    these BF3 meme's are starting to get out of hand....

10. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Some more news for everyone with MoH Beta Keys, hope if you bought it on disc that you didn't sell it, console gamers might be upset at this one.

------------------

Source

EyEwearGlasSeS says thanks.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Retracted; or cleared up at any rate. Disc not needed.

Twitter

Modest much? :p

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  12. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    some are hilarious and some are just retarted

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    They are not half as good as they think they are. I got both of their tags.

14. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    If only you were worth stabbing in this game.

Black Haru says thanks.
  15. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I got 6 tags of the guy that most likely has the most in the world :p And he only got 3 of mine, he even came here and said "damn you Kurgan".

16. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    How many is that dare I ask? You have like 3500 or some crazy shit, ten times what I do and more than half my total kills. Though granted you've also played 4 times as many rounds as me and I didn't even hear of this game somehow until this thread and had a kinda steep learning curve. Where do you find the time btw lol

And hey now...everyone is worth stabbing!

Stabby stab stab stab! stab

17. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    The guy I stabbed now has 42,xxx tags, and he's old school, highway remembered him from BF2 I believe, when he seen him in the game he was like "oh shit". So felt good knowing that even though I have relaxed my knife, I was able to best possibly the best?

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I stabbed ya three times I think and highway once.

19. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, looks like we are 3 for 3 right now, which is surprising we got so many of each others considering I think we have only played about 3 rounds together :laugh:

20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    We have the same "rotation" in a map I noticed last time I played.

21. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    For some reason the firewall at work has marked "http://www.techpowerup.com/forums" as a malicious site, so I won't be too timely with the updates until that resolves itself.

Here's some stuff I gathered today, that hasn't been reported by Kurgan already...

*** Spoiler alert - if you are saving yourself for the single player game, don't view this footage ***

Battlefield 3 - Operation Guillotine - Singleplayer Gameplay - TGS 2011 Cam Footage

Judging by the player movements, this looks like console footage.

==================================================

New hi-res screen shots from Caspian Border, compliments of Battlefieldo.com

==================================================

Kotaktu.com - Quiet Little Moments Make Battlefield 3 Stunning

BY BRIAN CRECENTE SEP 15, 2011 3:00 PM

The first thing I notice when I maneuver Sgt. Henry Blackburn, 1st Recon Marine, through the smoking door frame of the Tehran apartment complex isn't the smoldering bodies lying on the ground nearby, it's the piece of paper drifting through the room.

I follow it with the tip of my gun, watching it drift around the run down entry way, past an old wooden chair, a slightly flattened box, chipped and dirty walls. Someone took the time to create this piece of imaginary paper and the path it takes as it floats on imaginary crossdrafts in a video game about a future fictional battlefield in Iran.
    I stop to jot down a few notes.

"Make my way to the apartment entrance," I write. "Kinda skudgy. Debris and trash lying around. Paper fluttering the air. Carpet on the floor is rolled up in one corner. Old mattress lying in the hallway."

Played on a Playstation 3, Battlefield 3 is a solid first-person shooter with tight controls, immersive sound and a hectic, driven storyline. But it's the density of the game's visuals that always stand out to me when I play this game.

This morning I had a chance to play a snapshot of the game, a ten minute or so demonstration of a level called Operation Guillotine. Hours earlier Luke Plunkett played and enthused about his time with the very same demo in Tokyo. So when I take the PS3 controller in hand here in New York I decide to meticulously pick my way through the brief time with the game.

Battlefield 3 takes place in a 2014 where the U.S. Marine Corps is fighting along the Iran-Iraq border. This particular missions opens up on what appears to be the evening of Oct. 31, 2014.

Blackburn is hunkered down among a group of other members of Misfit 1-3 preparing to storm a city in Iran's Tehran Province. The particular build I'm playing on is a couple of weeks old, but still more than a month newer than the one Plunkett and I played in Germany at Gamescom.

The level opens with a low whistle. One of the other marines, looking with me at a massive city lit by bursts of gun fire, flak and explosions says, "That's a big city. No gun truck yet."

"Nope," another marine says. "The wheels of change move slow."

Seconds later we get the call to move down the hill, into the outskirts of the city and take the Khojir Apartment complex.

These opening, controllable moments of the level don't give me a chance to fire a single shot. Instead I'm running down a hill with a mortar in both hands.

Explosions shake the ground as I run, some hit so close that I can feel the force of them pushing Blackburn slightly off course, like a boat hit by an unseen wave. Trees shudder in the wake of the blasts, some trees topple over, others burn, their leaves engulfed in flames, their trunks checkered with red embers.

The screen is flaked with smudges of dirt and mud.

Blackburn makes it to a clearing near a wall and drops the mortar on a spot, watching another marine drop a round into the tube. The round launches into the air, lighting the sky with a floating green flare.

I run Blackburn to the wall, to a man with his back against it, and press a button to get a boost over.

When Blackburn lands on the other side he's got his weapon out. Down a hillside I can see marines in a firefight with opposition across a small gully. The enemy have taken up positions on a road, firing off pot shots at the men below.

I drop Blackburn to a knee and sight down the gun. I fire off three bullets, taking out two enemies with head shots and apparently winging the third. I'm aiming for a third headshot when another marine takes him down.

Moving Blackburn down the hillside I notice a group of enemies setting up much further down the gully, setting up an ambush along the path I'll be taking once I get him to the floor below.

I drop Blackburn to his knee again and take aim. I squeeze the trigger and run into the only disappointment I end up finding in the brief demo. The bullet seems to miss. I aim carefully and fire another headshot. Nothing. I pump out an entire clip in short bursts at the distant enemy. Nothing.

Later I mention this to the public relations folks manning the demo. What's the distance of rounds fired in Battlefield 3, I ask. The answer is a little vague and involves mentioning that the developers brought in ex-SAS operator Andy McNab to help with things like firing distance. In theory, rounds can't go forever in the game. But I'm not convinced they lose trajectory over time. It felt more like they hit an invisible wall. EA says they're looking into it for me.

It was a very distant enemy and not something I suspect you'd run into much in the campaign, so it felt more like an oddity than a problem.

Back in the game, I push Blackburn down the hill, into the gully and around the bend to face off with the enemies lying in wait. Running toward the enemies, a nearby blast momentarily blackens the screen, but I manage to take the enemies out quickly by switching to a shotgun.

Running Blackburn up a set of stairs out of the gully culvert and within sight of the target apartment complex. But first there's a group of enemy shooting at us from a sandbox foxhole.

I take them out and proceed to the outskirts of the apartment complex.

Running up the entrance stairs, I'm walking toward the doors when another marine runs up and tosses a grenade through a side window. The blast shoots three or four bodies through a wall of windows. A second later the door bursts open and a burning man runs into the clearing dropping to my feet before dying.

I walk through the door and for a moment I'm distracted from the death, the gunshots, the timbre of war, by a floating piece of paper. I take my notes and then push Blackburn forward, down a dirty hall littered with newspapers, boxes, mattresses, furniture. I move him toward a door, noting for a second the bugs flying slowly around the light.

At the door, the game tells me to press a button to knock it in. When I press it, the door kicks not in, but back toward me, knocking Blackburn on his ass. Time slows for an instant and I see another man, not a Marine, standing over me with a rifle, he's moving it down toward me, when I hear a gunshot and he's blown off his feet and back.

As I fell I apparently pulled the trigger in surprise and hit the guy in the chest. Laying on my back I aim and take down two other men in the hall before getting back up.

I run through the hallway, past the dead and through a back door. A humvee awaits me. On the ground nearby a marine is on his knees leaning over the prone body of another, slowly, methodically giving him CPR. I count to 15 chest compressions in my head before turning away and boarding the vehicle.

Abe504, 1Kurgan1 and EyEwearGlasSeS say thanks.
  22. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    That would be TimSad and I know him from BF2142. He was the best in that game, I don't think he is in Bad Company 2 thought. There was a "Stab DICE Employees" contest one week right after they deleted his stats for "possible padding". While he came in second overall as the contest was about unique tags, Tim stabbed far more DICE people and did it in fewer rounds than the guy who "won." I swear he had a machete and not a knife.

23. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    no, I remember you guys playing him in BC2.

24. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Hurray for deathmatch! There has been countless times where I just wanted to login for a bit to pop some heads without the disadvantage of being base camped and such. :toast:

25. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Guys I pondered a quick question in my mind as I was fantasising about Battlefield 3.

If the new Frostbite 2 engine doesn't support DX9, how is it on consoles?

And if they made a consoles variant, couldn't they use that for xp, or I guess that would require a whole other development team?

Not that I care, just curious.