1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Nothing to read up on, clocking, thanks to manufacturer design and BIOSes, is so simple that it just takes a few changes in BIOS, maybe a couple of hours testing the overclock, and you're done.

But yeah, getting a better cooler would be the best place to start. Lots of us here can help ya out when you are ready.
  2. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Try to pricematch in online stores, use craigslist, ebay, or even browse through TPU and other enthusiast forums for a good aftermarket cooler. You might be able to score a wicked deal from someone who is upgrading to a watercooling all in one kit, or even a full blown custom loop.

For instance, I spent a good while doing all of the above, and eventually scored a nh-d14 brand new for $49.99. I managed to snag one on sale online when they launched.
  3. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Addressing each point:

1. Yes, the more mainstream gaming platform will more likely have the higher sales, i never said otherwise. And yes, money is the the bottom line for all companies and spreading it out to Consoles does create a higher profit, i don't see the relevance of that in my point of if they would of ported up from Consoles their fanbase at large would be upset and a significant portion of said community wouldn't buy it regardless of the alienation as you claim. The PC community is much more tighter then the Console gaming community, they would cry and complain about BF3 being ported up from Consoles regardless of it making more money that's all that sentence stated.

That old Modern Warfare 2 pic is only proof of a community that is easily swayed in a situation they were upset about but bought it anyways, that holds no ties to alienating fans, most COD gamers don't give a damn and are easily satisfied largely in part by the hype, they'll pay for the same game over and over again every year, it doesn't matter.

2. But it IS about the games, i always try to avoid those PC vs Console arguments because it changes nothing it's all subjective hence it's all a waste of breath. I also never said that they tout the cutting edge, yes, they do because that's how marketing works and then people like us noodle through the BS.

I don't like the argument that Consoles kill gaming development, because it's the developers that must cater each game to their receptive platforms, i don't see how the existence of Consoles is killing gaming, if anything, it's helped the industry grow significantly and continues to do so. There is nothing stopping developers from making great games on PC if they wanted, it's just easier to copy and paste the same code over and over, but how is that the Consoles fault?, when PC gaming was at it's peak in the 90's consoles existed, yet people weren't saying the same things back then people the developers were actually created amazing games, that is what has fallen, not Console gamings influence.

And yes, Nintendo has always taken the forefront in taking the most risks with their machines and they've done a good job of it so far. But success is not measured by hardware, it's the games.
  4. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've wanted this Zalman for quite a while. I'll keep an eye on it, maybe it'll go on sale and I'll snatch it up.
  5. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    You can use pricebat.ca as well as shopbot.ca to search for deals in Canada. There are a few e-tailers that will pricematch, like ncix in Vancouver. I think they may have expanded out east too if you are in eastern Canada.
  6. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Links gives me an error saying they're experiencing issues with their severs.
  7. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Guess I got lucky. I never had any luck with tri or quad PII's, neither of mine would break 3.8ghz even under water. I got an AII 240 to tinker with and thing would break 4ghz easily, was really impressive, but I chalked it up to no L3. Then I got my 1055t and it clocked as easily as the AII, I was so impressed with it. With the stock cooler I wasn't ever able to get it stable at 4.0ghz, I could tinker around in W7 at 4.2ghz (thats pretty insane for the out of box cooler). So I just settled with 3.9, but since then I have tinkered around and just ended up leaving it at 3.6ghz, even though I added a better cooler.

Good point about the NB speed, I'm so use to OCing without increasing multipliers, just skipped my mind.

Though I got to say I am surprised that you are saying performance doubled moving to Intel. I haven't ever checked my true average frames with my 6950, but my dual 5850's and the 1055 at 3.8 I was seeing something like 85 or 90 FPS average. I just can't see doubling that number.
  8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Just ask Crazyeyes or erocker. The boost is really impressive. It's not quite double in singlecard, but it's damn close. Dual GPU, many apps are twice as fast. It's really astounding, and a major part of the reason I have been hyping memory performance as crucial for Bulldozer.

Just take a look at my board reviews...we have the 2.9 GHz A8-3850 APU beating the 3.3GHz 1100T in F1 2010. That's 100% because of the APU having better memory control. CPU clockspeed isn't always the answer to better performance.

I am really interested to see how that difference plays out in BF3.
  9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    So I just want to get this straight, my old setup with 85-90fps average, 2x of that would be 170-190 fps (we are talking BC2 maxed out). So not quite 2x would make me think 150fps average, I just can't see that massive of an improvement. And that was running dual cards, so it should be the comparison you are looking for. Just seems like a far fetch, I could see 110 - 115 maybe, but 150 fps average for BC2 maxed out with any card, little own 5850's would be pretty insane.
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Again, don't trust me on that...seriously...ask erocker and Crazyeyes how big of a boost they got by the switch to Sandybridge.

I know, for a fact, erocker has confirmed the numbers on my reviews, and gets nearly the exact same numbers i do...I mean, it's not like it's hard to run a bench.

I was 100% anti-SB, but had to buy a chip to do board reviews here @ TPU. Now, 10 months later, I am very glad I got SB, so glad, in fact, that I bought 16 chips now, and kept 2. I have one here collecting dust...and have no need or want to sell it. It's that good....so good that I can let it sit on my desk to a year or two, and it'll still be a good chip two years from now.
  11. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yea kurgan

the x6 pushes a bit harder but

965BE 4ghz 2600nb 1333mhz 6 7 6 21 1T ram with 2x 6970s

single gpu 60fps dual gpu 80fps
    on the 6 core cpus its around 70 single 90 dual

the kicker here is on the Phenom II x4 chips 5850 xfire is 100% on par with 6970 xfire in Bad Company 2, its the memory controller bottleneck

Sandybridge i5 2500k stock with 1333 cl9

single gpu 90fps dual gpu 170fps

now am i running super max settings not quite

bloom is disabled and AA is at 2x mostly because AA in frostbite engine is broken half the time but 2x seems to work 100% where as 4x and 8x is broken on some servers seems to be worse the higher you set AA. me cadaveca and mailman have all noticed this.

from x6 to sandybridge youll see around 40-55% improvement with multi gpu

another member on here documented it quite well

Core 2 Quad at 4ghz + 5970 got 70-75 fps avg in BC2

i7 2600k stock got 100-101 fps avg in BC2 same settings same map same location thats a 30% performance improvement and with HT turned off so its 4 cores vs 4 cores the older platform taken to the extreme and it still dosent compare to a stock SB chip again all memory performance.

a Phenom II cpu is strong in its own right the problem is as dave says the memory controller just bottlenecks the shit out of it. if you could drop a SB IMC into a Thuban (aka go from 12000mb/s to 24000 mb/s im pretty sure even the old Phenom II chip would show some renewed vigor.

from an x4 to sandybridge 45-75% improvement in multi gpu for Battlefield BC2.

I admit im an AMD fanboy 100% but i go where the performance is, when i first built my rig a 940BE + 790gx was all i needed and price to performance wise it was fantastic free upgrades and straight trades later i ended up with a 965 + 790fx good platform but it shows its age now and as intel chips became cheaper it became a no brainer. at this point in time, Phenom II is dated old and just cant keep up in many games when it comes to multi gpu. single gpu well its more favorable to the AMD chips but they still get hit hard in many games.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  12. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    Reminder: Beta ends 10/10

12:00 noon CET is 6:00 AM EST, 3:00 AM PST.

Here's what 12:00 noon CET is in the rest of the world.
  13. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    That is just crazy. Gonna wait for the FX reviews, but I am leaning towards the i5-2500k. Have been itching to pull the trigger since people started raving about them all summer.
  14. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Doubt they'll overtake SB, but you should still wait if you're unsure, the 2500K/2600K's are some excellent chips. So if you really need some power, it might be worth it to jump over the SB now, though with the FX series we will be seeing more x86 cores at decent prices and your software might benifit from that.

Depends what you need.
  15. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  16. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I get a nice smooth 50-70 FPS now with 2X AA (and Medium Post Processing as a test; not sure if even really implemented yet tho) but my VRAM usage is at like 986 megs. So likely my fps tanks at 4x and Ultra (whether or not Ultra is yet implemented) were likely full vram. Shoulda realized and at least monitored earlier; not sure why I didn't. Oh well Caspian was just this weekend anyway. :)

Next upgrade was probably gonna be 2GB card(s), definitely now. 1920x1200 btw...
  17. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
  18. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    with you on the heli's. gonna wait till I get some time in an empty server, but disappointed so far. fly's like a whale. (spent prolly 30 minutes trying, just so damned slow)
  19. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:

Obviously not...

What would you suggest?
  20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    For some things there's a bit of a jump, with other things not so much... Some things prefer memory bandwidth (Intel) and some things prefer more cores and multithreaded use (AMD). There's more of a difference when using CrossFire than when using a single card. Using a single card now, I'd rather be using a 2600K or my 1100T than this 2500K.
  21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    BF3 seems to make good use of DX11 multi-threading, so I hear ya there. Multi-GPU is only gonna make it worse. I am unsure of how it will work between AMD and Intel with BF3...4+4HT, or 4 Dual-Thread Modules.

:laugh:

AMD should call Bulldozer a Quad-Core with DT.

that said, I played a bit yesterday with graphics settings, and HT On/Off, checking thread laod and memory usage. Gonna play some more today...silly though, as this is BETA.

MUST PLAY, LAST DAY!!!

:laugh:
  22. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So how did that work out? :)
  23. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    read reviews but for the cost of that Zalman

you can get cheaper better coolers

Thermal Take FRIO
    Hyper 212+ and add a couple decent fans like Yateloon mediums etc
    hell even the Corsair H60 Antec Kuhler 620 are better and there single fan single 120mm rad AIO water kits

if you want the best of the best for the price of the Zalman you can get a Noctua or Prolimatech cooler with some nice fans

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&Tpk=Noctua NH D14

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

just look around read reviews

theres lot of coolers out there that are far better then then that particular Zalman, that 9700s hey day was back when the Athlon x2 6000+ was still a good cpu lolz
  24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Kinda inconclusive. If Ultra settings now aren't ultra settings of the retail version, I dunno what I'm even testing for.

wasn't doing FPS compare, either, pure on playability.

I can say with HT off, and Ultra, I play like poop. HT on an high, I'm usually at the top end of the server score.

But, at the same time, Ultra takes really long to load..usually I'm like the very last in the map at round start. High, I'm @ about midway in. Low, I'm first, waiting nearly 30 seconds for the round to start.

Trying to identify how it decides where you spawn in at round start, which is perhpas not the metric you are looking for. Like with minecraft, and me spending the first few months trying to figure out how the minerals occured, I might look at weird stuff for entertainment. :laugh:

Was actaully looknig to see if I could spawn in the jet every round, TBH, to explain my motivation. ;)
  25. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:
    When you say "with some nice fans" do you mean a Cpu heatsink and some better case fans? My case fans are stock, probably not the best.