• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Clubhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I'm going by the review of maps done in the link above. According to him a few maps lost the battlefield esque gameplay.. He also sounds like a COD fan tho, constantly referencing TDM and not Conquest.

Oh. I am going by what my on eyes have seen. I couldn't give two shits what whoever that guys was has to say.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Then you must not have had people locking onto you with rockets, it's extremely easy to drop a chopper. The only reason they didn't drop is they used a great strategy, they flew under the treeline and hauled ass. By the time you had a chance to lock on they would have killed you or been gone. Notice how rarely they fly up over the treeline, with jets, rockets with lock on, and AA tanks, I think a strategy like theirs will be required to be a successful chopper pilot.

TDM is meant to be like that. It's a mode that BF hasn't had for a long time, since most BF fans enjoy Conquest. It was a smart move bringing it back to gank COD players, but at the sametime it doesn't hose us Vets since we still have Conquest.

I had people locking on, however I stayed EXTREMELY low to the group, and in many cases was able to roadkill people on the chopper, with minimal loss of control. I still don't think many ground soldiers take the lock on launcher, as they have to worry about vehicles too!

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
I think that implementing some aspects of CoD is a good idea because at it's core it is a good game, however over the past 4 odd years it hasn't evolved like other games have.

System Name Wopper
Processor Intel i5 3570 @ 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 760 3Gb w/acx cooling
Storage 120Gb Evo SSD + 2 GB Games + 1.5 TB Data
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2268WM 22-Inch 120 Hz 3D-Ready
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Realtec onboard
Power Supply Antec TruePower New 550W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
PlanetBattlefield - Humorous Battlefield 3 GameStop TV Spot

Monday, 17 October, 2011 at 19:34 PST | ^Scott^ | Print News
An amusing Battlefield 3 TV spot created by GameStop was posted on YouTube a couple weeks ago. The ad, noticed by teslasmash from reddit, shows various Battlefield 3 soldiers shooting weapons from the Physical Warfare Pack. The Physical Warfare Pack is of course one of the pre-order bonuses if you order from GameStop as well as EA Origin, GAME (UK) and GameStation (UK). The pack is a time based exclusive and DICE have said it will be free for all later on this year.

kotaktu.com - How Will Battlefield 3 Be Remembered?

By Mark Serrels on October 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM

In a perfect storm of hype, timing and technology, the momentum behind Battlefield 3 has been staggering. As it accelerates towards its release October 27, we caught up with the game’s Creative Director Lars Gustavsson to discuss the game’s development, his influences, and what history will make of Battlefield 3.

While there are, of course, hordes of gamers lining up to pre-order Modern Warfare 3, it appears as though there is a sea change in our midst – almost as if the culmination of smart brand protection, combined with a series of dazzling trailers has set fans of core shooters alight with hype. Amongst core shooter fans, Battlefield 3 is arguably the most anticipated game of the year.

Gustavsson thinks the quality of the game itself may have something to do with it!

“We’re bringing something fresh to a market which, to be honest, has gone a bit stale recently,” says Gustavsson. “There are so many shooters out there and they all come from the same recipe.

“I play all shooters out there to stay up to date, but I really like Battlefield, because I can of the sheer variety. I often get this religious feeling when I look at some of the larger scale levels, just feeling amazed that we somehow managed to accomplish this!

Years of development experience, with the same core team, has enabled DICE to focus their efforts on creating the best Battlefield product possible. In that respect, Gustavsson believes that the force sweeping gamers towards the Battlefield 3 juggernaut is more than hype – it’s a gut response to what he believes is a quality product across the board.

“Where does our optimism come from?” He asks. “I would say it’s simply our experience in making the Battlefield games. We have an amazing engine. To look at the package of Battlefield, there’s so much to it.

“You have everything to small team deathmatch, to the full journey through a single player, to squad deathmatch – there’s a full, wide palette of possibilities. This time it feels like we’ve really stretched ourselves, and listened to feedback from the community.

“Our optimism is similar to how we felt about Battlefield 1942 when that was in development,” he continues. “When we’re playing in the office, we know it’s a really rock solid game. This time round we’ve done so much and improved so much. We’ve put so much into it.”

The FPS genre is, in a sense, a continual exchange of ideas – where innovations are constantly being shared, implemented and improved upon with subsequent releases. Battlefield has innovated within this space before, but it has also borrowed from the best – we wondered in Lars could think of any specific influences that affected the development of Battlefield 3.

“I’m not sure if I should pin point one,” he begins, reluctantly. “Well, Conquest was a game I was definitely inspired by – Day of Defeat, with its flag system is another. And the medic in Battlefield 2 was definitely inspired by Enemy Territory: Quake Wars’ medic system.

“That’s the beauty of the games industry. You might hear rumours of developers going after each other but for the most part it’s a friendly environment. And you borrow freely – it’s the team that executes the feature best that will be remembered.”

That word: ‘remembered’. In the world of PC gaming in particular, it’s one thing to shift millions of units, it’s another create and maintain the kind of community that Counter Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty 4 currently have. You get the impression that’s precisely what DICE are shooting for with Battlefield 3.

“Really I want our game to be remembered for giving gamers a fresh take on the shooter,” claims Gustavsson. “Hopefully Battlefield 3 feels like it took the first person shooter to the next level and made the competition look a bit old and stale.”

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
I've played the beta and have a good impression towards Caspian Border, it kept the spirit of true conquest. Whereas in Metro I had flashbacks of CoD especially when I quickly zoomed through my reflex scope to shoot but other than that it was still a good experience as Rush is also quite different from CoD's gameplay and player spawn rotation, It is awesome to see your whole squad or two taking cover behind corridor entrances and both teams showering each other with bullets within that space, it was complete mayhem imo especially when you see stray rockets blow up parts of the wall to create entrances.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
I had people locking on, however I stayed EXTREMELY low to the group, and in many cases was able to roadkill people on the chopper, with minimal loss of control. I still don't think many ground soldiers take the lock on launcher, as they have to worry about vehicles too!

I don't see how, if you rip down a road then turn a corner while remaining below the treeline, they can't lock on once you pass that corner, as they can't visually see you anymore. They can't lock on through trees, if you don't move fast enough I could see people doing it, or if you raise above the treeline too much, or come down the freeway on Caspian where there is no cover on the sides of the roads. But notice almost all of their flying was around the Forest flag.

System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Battlefield 3 Open Beta Attack Helicopter Gameplay.
Looks like the chopper is pretty effective with a good team at the helm. Most armor seems to go down in one pass.

reddit - My (lengthy) impressions after lots of playtime on the latest BF3 build at Nvidia GeForce LAN 6. Now with mortars!

I just got back from the GeForce LAN that was held in Oakland and thought I would share some of my thoughts after getting to play lots and lots of BF3 on the latest build they had there. Hope this brain dump helps to ease the wait for 10/25, if only for a little bit.

General Gameplay/Interface

• Let me start off by saying that the build we played at the GeForce LAN was light years ahead of the Beta. It's the theme that will probably run through the rest of this post; it was a great relief to see how much work DICE has put into polishing BF3 up for the final release. Off the top of my head, asides from few bugs (noted at the end), I didn't run into any of the glitches people were having in the Beta(such as rubbernecking or map glitches.)
  • Chat interface. FIXED. The chat text now blends in and matches the rest of the GUI. It is in the same location but that black background is no longer there; the chat is overlayed on the screen just like in previous Battlefield games.
  • Squad screen. FIXED. Pictures of the new squad screen have obviously already popped up on Reddit, and I can't really add anything asides from confirming that it looks exactly as it does in the pictures. However, there still isn't a "Join Squad" option that lets you populate an empty squad. You click "find Squad" and it automatically puts you in a squad just like Beta, although based off the new design it seems like they will have full squad join functionality in the final build (Crash7800, can you back a brother up?).
  • 3D spotting was quite a bit more refined in this build than it was in the Beta. If you spotted someone and then they got behind cover(buildings or vegitation/rocks), their on-screen 3D spot dissappears immediately. No more firing at doritos in the foliage.
  • Minimap. FIXED! The minimap has been vastly improved and is almost on par with the map found in BF2. It's a nice, full minimap now: you can see all the flags, your teammates, empty vehicles...etc. The only thing that seemed like a minor issue is that the zoom levels seemed funky on some maps (like Operation Firestorm) and there wasn't an option to set whether the map would rotate with the player or remain locked onto the compass.
  • Rocks can no longer be shot through. (LULZ)
  • The Options menu is now accessible while dead or alive.
  • The kill cam screen seems to have been shortened in duration, although this could have just been on TDM.
  • There are customizable camo options available for the picking now. From what I could see there were a few solid color uniforms (Black, Blue, Green, Tan, Grey), a few different types of camoflouge (desert/forest/urban), and a few special ones like the SPECACT uniforms and one named the "Dr. Pepper" camo which I can only assume will be tied into a marketing blitz just like the SPECACT stuff was tied in with them during BC2. Each camo "selection" had a corresponding Russian and US version so that you would never be able to put on the same uniform as the opposing team.
  • Hit detection seemed vastly improved. Granted, we were in a LAN environment, but I believe the BF3 servers were actually being hosted down in LA (7 hours away). TDM and 32-player Rush were silky smooth but there was still some weird lag on the 64-player conquest maps. It was fairly rare though, so maybe it was just actual internet traffic issues.
  • There was a notification now for you to press "Q" if you needed ammo/medic that appeared to pop up automatically if you needed either of those things.
  • The new in-game icons that show up over teammates, dead players, and dead players who need a revive have been completely overhauled. They are thicker and a bit brighter; the end effect is that they are much more noticeable.
  • They bumped up the points you receive for completing team objectives. Off the top of my head, neutralizing a flag nets you 200 points, and capping it gives you an additional 250 points. MCOM attacking/defending saw a similar boost.

Weapons

• The damage model for the weapons, on the whole, feels much more polished than the Beta. The damage glitch where people would take more damage due to sprinting is noticably gone and the gun play now feels much more balanced and even.
  • Firing an unsuppressed weapon marks you on the enemy's minimap for a few seconds; there is now a tangible benefit to rocking the silencer. Most of the teams in the 4v4 TDM tourney had silencers on everything because of this fact. (*see follow-up tweets)
  • The SUNFIRE TACTICAL LIGHT OF THE GODS has been toned down just a bit. I'd say the circle of light is maybe 20-30% smaller? I didn't run into too many people using it.
  • UMP45: Definitely toned down. I didn't play with it much but there weren't lots of people running around with it, even on some of the tight CQB maps that were played in TDM. It looks like it still packs a punch at close range but loses power quickly at range.
  • M39 EMR: Pretty sexy, didn't play with it a lot but it seemed like a slightly better version of the SKS.
  • SKS/MK11: Seemed like they were toned down from their god-like powers in the Beta, although it's very possible this is as a result of the fixes to the damage model that DICE made. (See above)
  • Bolt Action Snipers: Seems like the bolt action animation has been tweaked to make it harder to quickscope like you could in BC2 and the Beta.
  • T-UGS (Recon Emitter): Now works as advertised with people popping up on your mini-map who are moving within the range of the emitter.
  • SOFLAM: Didn't try it. Sorry :'(
  • Javelin: Worked like a ground version of the stinger missile, it didn't pack much of a punch against heavy armor. Only played with it a few times. Locks on, fire and forget.
  • Mortars: \o\ \o/ /o/. These things are a complete blast. You place them on the ground just like a T-UGS or the Mobile Spawn Point. Once placed, your minimap expands and a ret appears on the minimap that you can drag around for a set range. Click, fire, wash, rinse, repeat. At first they seemed like they would be OP but they have a lag time and a margin of error that prevented utter domination. I can see some really interesting tactics being developed for this in competition. It's perfect for bombarding a squad that is camping a certain area. More info down here.
  • M16A4: This 3-round burst varient of the classic workhorse was a ton of fun to play with. Combined with the "Heavy Barrel" attachment it seemed to be really solid at long range.
  • KH2002: This was the other assault rifle that wasn't in the Beta. It had a nice burst mode and seemed suited for medium-range engagements.
  • T88: Didn't play but one round with it: didn't even fire it. No info. Sorry :'(
  • M1911: Pretty sexy. Packs a punch. Has the most varients of all the pistols (Regular, Suppressed, Tac Light, Suppressed AND Tac Light). Good times.
  • M44 Scoped: Sniped a few dudes on Firestorm with this, seems like a great weapon to finish people off at medium range. However, the firing speed was slow.
  • SG552: Decent engineer weapon. Didn't play with it much. No info. Sorry :'(

Maps

• Damavand Peak. (TDM). They only had this map playing during the TDM 4v4 tournament (unless I missed something?). It took place in a fun quarry area that had lots of industrial machinery and massive dump trucks (TONKA TRUCKS!) all over. Tight infantry action. I tried to peek around to see the rest of the map beyond where the TDM area was and it looks really big. Awesome vibe.
  • Grand Bazaar. (TDM). Again, I only played this one in the 4v4 tournament on TDM. There was a mosque, a market area, and then some streets and backalleys that were intertwined to make a really layered TDM map. It was obvious that DICE really put time in to give each of these maps character; Grand Bazaar had a unique sense of place. Can't wait to see 32p Conquest on it.
  • Operation Firestorm. (TDM, 64p Conquest, 32p Rush). First things first: this map is huge. Hell, each side starts off with something like SIX heavy armor vehicles on each side at their main spawns. Rush was just the 64p conquest map, but you fought from the US spawn across four stages to the RU spawn. TDM took place at one of the flags and involved three warehouses and a crate yard that had a lot of awesome terrain for tight TDM combat.
  • Caspian Border. (64p Conquest). Not much to say here. The fences were fixed so that jeeps no longer get stuck on them. I didn't manage to take down the massive antenna, although you are now able to take down the radio tower that sits at the "Hilltop" spawn; it falls over on to the rocky area behind the flag.
  • Operation Metro (TDM, 32p Rush). There were a few minor changes to the map in regards to shrubbery placement. Asides from that, it seemed just like it did in the Beta. TDM takes place all through the last stage of Rush: the "Apartments" area. It looked like fun, but they were having issues with it on TDM so they took it out of the tournament rotation.

Bugs/Complaints

• The only two recurring bugs I noticed both involved the ret. The first one happened quite often when I switched back to my main assault rifle after being scoped in on the M320 grenade launcher. I would get the grenade launcher ret from BF2 overlayed on top of the normal ret from the rifle.
  • The second reticle bug was one that I noticed happening a few times in the Beta. I would unsight from my iron sights only to not have my normal white reticle pop back up. Switching to pistol and then back again usually fixed it. Hopefully this gets fixed.
  • The only design complaint I had with the new build is that for some reason they've change the medic pack icon on the minimap and in-game to this funky-looking band aid instead of the standard "Red Cross" in BF2 and BC2. It looks really dumb and isn't intuitive in the least bit.

TL;DR, DICE fixed most bugs and issues, game is super polished, the Beta woes are no more. The (almost) final build is looky QUITE SEXY. 10/25 can't come soon enough.

Tweets on unsuppressed weapons and spotting...
twitter.com/crash7800: "Official word: Firing a weapon without a suppressor in #BF3 will ---NOT--- mark you on the mini-map. Only spotting flags players"

twitter.com/Thylander: "It makes you light up on minimap for a split second. Add silencer to avoid it."

twitter.com/crash7800: "To clarify - You will appear on the map for a short time (https://twitter.com/#!/Thylander/status/125843080535486464), but you will not be flagged/spotted"

Clear as mud, eh?

Thylander = DICE "points" guy
crash7800 = new EA Battlefield Community Manager.

Modern Warfare 3 interview gone wrong

nowgamer - Battlefield 3’s Maps and modes rated (*as played on PS3)

Bttlefield 3 Multiplayer: Map By Map Guide
Dave Cook
Battlefield 3’s Maps and modes rated.

Published on Oct 10, 2011

Battlefield 3’s large-scale multiplayer battles offer a very different prospect to Modern Warfare 3’s lone wolf approach. We’ve now spent a considerable amount of time playing every map and mode onthe Battlefield 3 disc, and while the style of play is different to Call of Duty’s, the jury is still out on whether or not it’s necessarily better.

It’s a personal choice really, as both games do things very differently. However, right now we’re here to talk purely about Battlefield 3, and the wealth of multiplayer goodness it offers.

Let’s just say that the Operation Metro and Caspian Border beta maps only offer a mere taster of what to expect come 28th October.

Please note, the only map we weren’t able to play was Kharg Island, which was unfortunately unavailable at the preview event we attended.

Caspian Border

Chances are if you’re a PC gamer, then you’ve already played this sprawling map to death. It’s quite simply one of the biggest multiplayer maps we’ve ever played in an FPS, or any genre for that matter. It also has jets, which instantly makes it awesome.

We played this map on Conquest mode, and it comes complete with four territorial points to capture. If you’re not very good at piloting Battlefield’s gallery of vehicles, then you will need to learn to get the best out of this map.

Walking on foot will take you an age, and you will more than likely be blown to pieces by long-distance tank artillery, snipers or jet bombing runs.

It’s a lush map too; complete with rolling fields, visibility-hampering tree lines and the odd farm or warehouse dotted around to break up the open areas.

When defending on Conquest, we really had to be cautious about attackers, as the wide-open areas meant the opposing team could rush us from any direction. More than ever, teamwork was essential here, as simply hanging back and defending the first few points wasn’t good enough.

Using jets to ferry our squad behind enemy lines, we attempted to kill the other team on their own turf and to disrupt their ranks. In the meantime, the rest of our squad held back to defend any points we had already captured.

It’s huge, and it really does feel like you’re fighting a war on two fronts, although Capsian Border definitely underlines the need for 64-player matches on consoles.

Our maximum lobby size on PS3 was 24-player, and this left the map feeling a tad barren and desolate, which is unfortunate as it’s a brilliant environment to play in.

Grand Bazaar

This Middle Eastern market is one of Battlefield 3’s smaller maps, and we played it in both Rush and Team Deathmatch modes. The tight streets, and surrounding apartment buildings smack of an attempt to emulate Call of Duty. When you think Battlefield, you definitely don’t think of environments like this.

Again, it was a well-crafted map, but it felt almost alien to the franchise. Team Deathmatch mode also baffled with erratic spawns and the occasional spawn death, with campers lying prone next to our team’s respawn point.

However, the rule of thumb for Battlefield 3 seems to be objective-based modes, and it’s here that Grand Bazaar becomes awesome. Playing in Rush mode, the map becomes a tense, claustrophobic killing floor, where you really need to coordinate and watch your environment carefully.

Every open window could house a sniper waiting to kill you in an instant, packs of foes could be around any corner, and there is a real sense of urgency when both teams are contesting an M-COM station. Our advice is to skip team deathmatch and head straight to Rush.

Grand Bazaar is interesting in that it’s a small, tight map that is favoured by snipers, thanks to the plethora of high vantage points and apartment buildings dotted around one side of the environment.

We also kept on getting a brief flash of red light when being targeted by laser-targeted sniper rifles. This is a neat addition to the mix, as it gives you a brief second to hit the deck or strafe to the side when being targeted by Recon class soldiers, and it balanced long-ranged play perfectly.

As a Team Deathmatch map, Grand Bazaar feels weak compared to almost any Call of Duty map, but in Rush mode it feels like a real step up for the Battlefield series. Just remember to be wary of snipers to avoid being picked off unexpectedly.

Operation Firestorm

Possibly a contender for best map in the game, Operation Firestorm takes place in the blazing heat of a burning desert oil field, leading up to a petroleum warehouse at the top of a sun bleached hill.

This is one of the few maps that boast jets too, but as we found as we nose-dived our plane into the ground after just a few seconds, becoming a good pilot will take some practice.

We played this map on Conquest, and it’s a match made in heaven. All three points can be found among the petroleum warehouses, and because both teams get to pilot tanks, jeeps and jets from each spawn point, the centre of the map quickly becomes a hotbed of activity.

You can approach each Conquest point as you see fit. You can roll tanks up the hill and dominate the road running through the complex, or you can climb a ladder up to the factory rooftops and provide sniper support from up high.

Operation Firestorm is one of those sweet maps that reward teamwork, and demands a strong mix of classes. The thrill of running between Conquest points as jets duke it out overhead is exhilarating, and delivers a consistent pace throughout each match.

Operation Metro

If you’ve played the Battlefield 3 beta, then you already know all about Operation Metro. It’s an odd map in that it starts out in a wide park area, which then bottlenecks into the Metro underground before opening up into the Paris streets at the end.

Changing up your tactics to suit each new area is vital, especially as you enter the tight, constricted corridors of the Metro itself. On Team Deathmatch mode, this is – once again – something of a lame duck, paling in comparison to the Call of Duty style of play. But on Rush, it’s excellent.

The ranged battles of the park are neat, as players are forced to use low wall and ridges as cover, while inching towards M-COM stations to avoid long-range fire. However, the lack of vehicles in this area, along with a restricted amount of players makes this area feel a touch underwhelming.

The interiors demand intelligent movement however, as you really need to be cautious when navigating around corners and avoid sprinting blindly where possible. Destruction-wise, it’s incredibly underwhelming, and is by far one of the least impressive maps on the disc.

Tehran Highway

This is thin urban map with two highways that stretch from north to south. There is the occasional overpass, back alley and apartment block thrown in for good measure as well.

This is one of those great Battlefield maps that reward whichever team manages to hold a tank longest, as it can be used to patrol the streets and blast any stray troops running around.

Running on foot, we had to use the backstreets to move forward, as running on the open roads will either get you killed by sniper fore or blown to smithereens under tank strikes. As a result, tight exchanges down thin alleys were common.

It’s also a night map, so using thermal scopes and spotting enemies regularly will help pick them out for long-ranged kills. It seemed that as soon as we started to capture an M-COM station, this alerted the other team, and in seconds, their tank was upon us.

Tehran Highway is a constant cat and mouse game between troops on the ground, snipers up high and that bloody tank. Just make sure you either get to the tank first, or use RPG rounds to see it packing as soon as possible. It’s simply another great tactical map.

Noshahr Canals

Similar to the third Rush stage of Battlefield: Bad Company 2’s Nelson Bay map, Noshahr Canals features a string of dockyards surrounded by stretches of water.

Running around the maze of freight containers was tense, thanks to the threat of sniper shots from cranes above, and the lack of vehicles meant that both sides were evenly matched.

To get to Rush or Conquest objectives quickly, we had two choices. We could either take the long way to each point, by navigating the dockyards, or we could simply swim between points at speed. The problem with taking to the water is that you’re a sitting duck should anyone spot you.

Noshahr Canal is another Battlefield 3 map that has underwhelming destruction, and looks really bland compared to the lush veneer of Caspian Border. We’ve actually lost count of how many FPS games feature maps littered with freight containers and bland, grey concrete structures.

It’s not a bad map as such, but it’s far removed from the wide-open spaces and grand scale encounters the Battlefield series is known for. Just be careful not to swim around for too long, or you’ll sink like a rock and look really foolish. Not that we did that at any point of course.

Damavand Peak

Oh yes, this map is an absolute beauty. Damavand Peak is massive, and while it doesn’t have any jets, the chopper gameplay here is outstanding. We played this map on Rush mode, and while defending, found it to be a manic and never-ending barrage of action.

The map is full of mountainous facilities, sheer drops and tunnels carved through the peak, and it’s also one of few maps that fully shows off the Frostbite 2 engine. You can blow holes in the side of facilities, level defensive walls and nosedive choppers into the environment to your advantage.

The first point is stunning, as the defenders must protect the first mountain facility from attackers coming over the ridge. This means plenty of sniper fire and sneak attacks through the thick tree line around the area. Sitting there, waiting for enemies to come is tense and exciting.

Even better is the second point, as attackers must base jump off the mountain facility – or take a chopper, which is less fun – and descend down onto the second facility below. The defenders have to really keep their eyes skyward here, in order to catch any sneaky buggers trying to infiltrate the base undetected.

Point three is even better, forcing the defenders into the bottleneck of a dank tunnel that leads through the rock face. There are plenty of corridors in there, as well as low cover and dump trucks to hide behind. This is also when attackers get a tank too, so the defence really has to be careful no to lose out at the final stretch.

Damavand Peak is a masterclass in map design, so it’s a bloody shame that too few of Battlefield 3’s environments can match the scope, enjoyment and intensity of what’s on offer here. We can already see this becoming a true fan favourite once the game launches.

Seine Crossing

Finally, we played a few rounds of Seine Crossing on both Rush and Team Deathmatch. It’s another small urban map that recalls Call of Duty in terms of scope and design. We found quite quickly that the spawn points were constantly being camped, and that we were being killed right out of the gate without warning.

There are also far too many tight streets that make for uninspired exchanges from one end to the other. Again, Rush mode makes things more tactical, but there is a real sense of déjà vu here, as you fight down the Parisian streets, using cars and the occasional freight container as cover.

With a lack of vehicles, this feels like another wasted chance from DICE. The scope and true ‘warfare’ vibe of the series feels lost on this map, and you really do pine for something bigger and more inspiring. That’s not to say the developer won’t be expanded for other modes by way of DLC, but for now, it feels all too familiar.

Summary

The lesson here is that Team Deathmatch modes feel foreign to the Battlefield series, as each match falls closer to Call of Duty than previous instalments. Playing objective-based modes is infinitely more enjoyable than simply running around trying to farm kills, and it also stays true to the series’ legacy.

When Battlefield 3 delivers large maps with tons of vehicles and increased player count, it radiates quality. Caspian Border, Damavand Peak and Operation Firestorm are absolutely brilliant locations, and are easily three of the best Battlefield maps ever created.

It’s just a shame that the other offerings feel small and restricted by comparison. It will be interesting to see if DICE delivers more large maps after launch, or create expanded versions of the smaller locales, as this would seriously help flesh out the map selection.

For now though, we feel slightly deflated by what’s on offer, and concerned that DICE has tried to hard to coax the Call of Duty crowd away by trying to copy its smaller, urban maps. Battlefield 3’s multiplayer still plays well, but it’s not the grand your of duty we were anticipating.

I want to learn how to fly the chopper like that!! When i flew it, it felt slow and cumbersome. Maybe Freedom can make a training video. I would hazard a guess that they were using flight sticks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor i9 9900k @ 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z370 Taichi
Cooling Xspc raystorm direct die, 2x 480 swiftech rads + 2x 120 block ice rads D5, Monsoon Dualbay Res
Memory 32gb G.Skill DDR4 3200mhz CL14
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 3080 Ti Waterforce WB shunt mod
Storage Samsung Evo 860 500gb, Samsung Evo 860 1Tb x2, WD White 12tb x2
Display(s) Acer xb270hu 144hz 2560x1440
Case Enthoo Primo
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Multibit/Magni3 - M1060 (fuzzor+LQi cable+Eikon suede)/ATH-W1000X (Purrin's mod+suede)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1300w
Mouse Razer Orochi
Keyboard Tesoro
Software TeamOS W10 Pro/W7 Pro
Looking at the comments in the vid he mentions letting go of "w" quickly...etc. Seems like kb/m. Impressive flying.

Love the copter! Reminds me of my Novalogic helo days! Low flight and surprise is key!

A shame that the biggest map of the game is rather small. :p

System Name GaMEr / HTPC
Processor FX8320 4.5ghz so far NB- 2815mhz / X2 255 @ 3.2ghz (Temp till BD)
Motherboard 990FX-UD5 / GA-MA785GPMT-US2H
Cooling XSPC - 240rad 480rad 5 x 120mm out, 6 x 80mm in / H220-edge 1/2" & 2 x 120mm Magma
Memory 4gb PI 6,8,6,18 1T 1706mhz / 4gb Crucial D9's 1400 @ 6,6,6,18,1T
Video Card(s) 3gb HD7950 / Onboard
Storage 2 x 120gb Sandisk ultra plus 2tb WD / 60gb vertex 2 + 2 x 2tb WD Greens
Display(s) 3x24in Dell Ultra (portrait) / NEC 32" FullHD LCD
Case LL PC71A Full tower / Antec fusion black with Imon remote Modded for WC
Audio Device(s) OB / Auzentech cinema 7.1
Power Supply TT 700w TR2 / TT 600w Litepower modded with Noctua S12 fan.
Software 7 Ult / 7 premium x64
Love the copter! Reminds me of my Novalogic helo days! Low flight and surprise is key!

A shame that the biggest map of the game is rather small. :p

The best thing about the choppers is getting to shoot them down with a tank. :) I love it when some muppet swoops down to line you up with some rockets and you hit him square in the windscreen with a round!! It cracks me up everytime. I don't get in the tanks that often but when I do it always seems so easy to hit a chopper with the main gun. Maybe my trigonometry is good. Lol :pimp:

System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Ea Finally came through and changed my Master Account ID to: Associated_Death :toast:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
The best thing about the choppers is getting to shoot them down with a tank. :) I love it when some muppet swoops down to line you up with some rockets and you hit him square in the windscreen with a round!! It cracks me up everytime. I don't get in the tanks that often but when I do it always seems so easy to hit a chopper with the main gun. Maybe my trigonometry is good. Lol :pimp:

Yeah I got pretty good at it in BC2, especially in 'Nam, though I am going to have to get used to the speed and arc (or lack thereof) of the shells on these tanks now...

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm Slim fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 4060 8GB (Temporary Until Next Gen)
Storage Kingston KC3000 M.2 1TB + 2TB HDD
Display(s) Asus TUF 24Inch 165Hz || AOC 24Inch 180Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
I've played the beta and have a good impression towards Caspian Border, it kept the spirit of true conquest. Whereas in Metro I had flashbacks of CoD especially when I quickly zoomed through my reflex scope to shoot but other than that it was still a good experience as Rush is also quite different from CoD's gameplay and player spawn rotation, It is awesome to see your whole squad or two taking cover behind corridor entrances and both teams showering each other with bullets within that space, it was complete mayhem imo especially when you see stray rockets blow up parts of the wall to create entrances.

Well said bro:toast: I agree 1000% :laugh::rockout: even though I raged like a little bitch :eek:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Well I seem to be the like the only people who ordered a physical that is kinda freaking out that I won't get it "soon enough" and am thinking about canceling for a download order...

I guess I point it out as I'm kind of surprised. And I'm not just referring to people here. Though come to think of it I should check the EA UK forum.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Looking at the comments in the vid he mentions letting go of "w" quickly...etc. Seems like kb/m. Impressive flying.

Yeah, chopper flying isn't going to get as much of a benefit out of joystick as Jets will.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I miss mail man already :( 2 days and no witty comments in sight.

I kept mine brandonwh64 cause of it being it in the forums

Black Haru

Staff member
I want to learn how to fly the chopper like that!! When i flew it, it felt slow and cumbersome. Maybe Freedom can make a training video. I would hazard a guess that they were using flight sticks?

I used to fly like that in BC2 but my gunner would always rage-bail.

I just felt like I had no power to work with, I would go into a dive and it would take ages and ages to pull back out of it.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I miss mail man already :( 2 days and no witty comments in sight.

Gee a Mailman fanboy. That's just great. :roll:

So what the hell did he do this time, anyway?

Agreed. The BF3 Clubhouse without its founder just isn't the same, it's hollow and incomplete. It's like Jenna Haze without a huge red dildo, or Mia Farrow without the Maharishi buried deep in her.

brandonwh64

Agreed. The BF3 Clubhouse without its founder just isn't the same, it's hollow and incomplete. It's like Jenna Haze without a huge red dildo, or Mia Farrow without the Maharishi buried deep in her.

I would sig this but I may get banned like mail man.

Yea I know mailman is rough around the edges but he means no harm. I have to agree some of Q's news posts are not really informative or on point. Even some of the mods have noticed this as well.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
LOL and how did he go about doing that, exactly?

Yeah, Qubit has turned out to be...an interesting choice. I'll leave it at that.

brandonwh64

Status
Not open for further replies.