1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    New gameplay trailer live for Donya Fortress, one of the maps included in the Close Quarters expansion pack:

[yt]WD8HF-AL2yY[/yt]

cadaveca and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ in the video above

Here are the New Guns:
    0:39 Spas-12
    0:44 JNG-90
    0:45 ACW-R
    0:59 MTAR-21
    1:13 AUG A3
    1:26 LSAT (Top-Right)

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I just started playing medic so these maps should make it rank up crazy quick.

4. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Only just got round to buying the game :) I'll be looking to do the single player tonight/tomorrow and then it's finally time to get the multiplayer under way.

Any advice for a noob when starting out in the game would be greatly appreciated :)

5. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Sure. Read all of this. :)

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  6. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Perfect :) thanks.

7. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys I have a question. How do you guys feel about this sniper rifle they added for close quarters?

JNG-90

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Turkey based sniper rifle that hasnt seen combat?.........yeah I think Ill stick with something more American made.

9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    They could base the gun off and Alien Space Rifle, it really wouldn't matter since they balance it for the game. Look at the MK3A1, thats just in the game because it looks sweet. So it will be hard to judge any of these weapons until we see the recoil and other statistics they attach to it.

TRIPTEX_CAN says thanks.
  10. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I'm surprised the video only has 302 views.

It seems a little odd to add a sniper rifle on in close quarters, team death crap kind of expansion pack. I'm sure I'll get this pack out of boredom, but I'm not excited about it.

11. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    look at some of the breakdown videos, mp5k, scar-l, and a semi auto sniper are also mentioned.

12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    SCAR-L is identical to the SCAR-H only it shoots .223 instead of .308. Should have a high cap but less knock down.

The rifle carries over to all maps man. They added sugar to all classes I'm sure. I would like to see some more "specialty" weapons like "Bouncing Betty's" or tire spikes for wheeled vehicles.

13. ufgy20

Thanks Received:
    you must not know how youtube works. it cant update fast enough with so many views 302 is a common spot popular videos sit at for a day or two. only the person posting the video can see the true views.. look at likes/dislikes compared to views lol

MT Alex says thanks.
  14. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I'm not too excited for this either, only reason I want it is because of the destruction, wish the normal maps buildings tore apart like that. Really matters on map layouts, with hallway maps like Metro and Grand Bazar already in-game these have a chance to maybe be better.

15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not stoked either. However I know why DICE made this DLC and its cool with me. Ill buy it and play it just because its BF3 goodness.

16. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    VentureBeat - Breaking down Conquest Domination in Battlefield 3: Close Quarters’ Donya Fortress (preview)

April 26, 2012 4:57 AM
    Omri Petitte

Note: Screenshots depict the Ziba Tower map which we discussed here.
    Battlefield 3 is slimming down. Our initial foray into the military first-person shooter’s incoming Close Quarters map pack (arriving in June for the PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360) detailed a battle plan focusing on intense infantry firefights and smaller, fragile stages. At a recent press event in San Francisco, publisher EA deployed a choice sampling of the new Conquest Domination multiplayer mode set within the bullet-soaking walls of the Donya Fortress map.

At its core, Conquest Domination combines the breakneck momentum of team deathmatch with the franchise’s signature capture-able control points. As Close Quarters veers heavily from Battlefield’s pedigree of far-flung warzones and vehicle combat, respawn points consequently pepper the map in a randomized pattern. (Think Call of Duty with more Russian noises.) More control points waving your team’s flag means more deployment spots, so bank on intense flareups concentrating around these precious objectives.

Donya Fortress’ design mimics…well, a fortress, its whitewashed walls gleaming with sunlight and the blood graffiti from your latest headshot. The Kremlin’s square-shaped, multileveled layout throws out multiple fire angles to keep track of, including a stony basement, mirrored terraces, and a central, exposed courtyard (read: instant death). Archways, columns, and strewn pieces of furniture blithely get in the way of drawing a bead on an enemy but also serve as suitably solid objects to duck behind.

Three control points, spaced closely together, sit on a terrace, the main courtyard, and an adjacent chamber, respectively. The cramped passageways deny favoritism of a particular spot, as each flag bestows tactical benefits for its conqueror. The terrace overlooks the courtyard with a natural height advantage, the courtyard provides quick access to the other two points, and the chamber easily funnels enemies with multiple blockades.

Here are a few observations I made after some hands-on matches:

Expect blind corners, choke points, and sharp angles. Corridors and cluttered rooms comprise your firing lanes, so don’t expect any breathing room from wide open spaces. Enemies won’t stray far beyond knife range, so utilizing the fortress’ secondary doorways for a well-placed flank always gives the upper hand.

Forget about vehicles. Start loving your sprint button. You’re hoofing it everywhere, but unlike BF3’s stock maps, becoming a cross-country track star isn’t a requirement. I already consider tanks, jeeps, and personnel carriers rolling rocket-magnets, so trading lead on maps scaled to tete-a-tete skirmishes without worrying about taking a 120mm shell up my nostrils is a very alluring prospect. Dedicated chopper, jet, and tank pilots, however, might shy away from Close Quarters’ strictly footsoldier theme.

Shotguns, submachine guns, and fast-firing assault rifles reign supreme. Old reflexes honed by Mountain Dew-fueled Counter-Strike benders jolted awake after I realized twitch-based gameplay wins the fortress for your team. (Twitch gaming is the art of honing reaction time to rapidly get those crosshairs on target as fast as possible.) I reacquainted myself with zippier guns such as the F2000 rifle, MP7 SMG, and the new M5K machine pistol with great success. Typically scorned as a newbie tactic, spray-and-pray rifle-butts its stigma and quickly becomes the de facto tactic during a scrap.

Shotguns, of course, are in their element. A major (and hilarious) highlight of the session was witnessing my fellow journalists’ conspicuous progression from individual loadout preferences to roving shotgun gangs, a predictably effective strategy. Forums will assuredly flow with rage from the inevitable buckshot bonanza (blood still boils from the now-balanced USAS shotgun’s domineering infamy), but I personally enjoyed seeing these pump-action painbringers get a boost in viability.

You’ll get shot in the back…a lot. Did you get used to having a rear base as a safe respawn? Kiss it goodbye. When you hit dirt in the fortress, you’ll have a bullseye painted on you in but a microsecond. Assault lines constantly shift and roil as both teams scramble for real estate, and that spearhead push with your squad flat-out melts if an enemy simply reappears behind you. That extra layer of challenge to spatial awareness underscores the importance of teamwork and communication…especially when that grenade-spamming, camping hoser (don’t deny it; there’s one on every team) ruins a perfectly good ambush.

Flags capture insanely fast. In normal Conquest mode, flags flip from enemy control to yours at a sluggish pace, often taking 20 agonizing seconds or more for a full capture. Conquest Domination pumps some adrenaline into the capture rate, and just one second is enough time for nabbing a zone.

The possibilities for clutch moments run high: During one of the last rounds, my team was on the ropes. We had just lost the chamber point in a spectacular hail of bullets, tile shards, and wood splinters, cinching all three points in the enemy’s hands. I slapped a silencer on my gun which muffles noise and prevents my appearance on radar when I fire. Juking to the courtyard, I faded into a sub-passage while spam-fire and grenades ravaged my diversion. The plan worked: The terrace point was deserted. I swooped in and slapped the enemy’s flag off its pole, and in a five-second span, my team reaped revenge on its aggressors in a Hail Mary win.

cadaveca says thanks.
  17. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    You do? No sense pandering to the CoD pecker wads, they are going to remain MW3 pundits. I'd much prefer maps like Operation Harvest, but I guess we all know which hand fills up quicker when you wish in one and shit in the other.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. But CQB can be fun also with the right players. Lets be honest BF3 is a LOT more fun with people on TS then it is playing alone. CQB will have its place I think. We will see.

19. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I get close quarters for free :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Do tell?

21. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Some things are earned in blood, I guess others are earned on your knees:laugh:

22. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    LOL yep slurp slurp action HAHAHA j/k

Naa due to EA's fuck up with me having not been able to buy games on the online store and having to wait over the phone 4 hours to pre-order BF3. They have fixed the issue (Have not yet tested) and for my troubles gave me a free title of my choosing. I chose BF3 close quarters.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    So is close quarters for sale already?

24. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    The DLC is cod gamer friendly... But that being said, I'll grab it cause it looks like a great change of pace.

25. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    ftfy :)

1Kurgan1 says thanks.