1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Certainly understand where you're coming from but it's not even really ready...
  2. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    It's ready enough for me to do some ass kicking!
    snuif09 says thanks.
  3. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    And you know this how? I haven't heard a peep outside of a few people confirming they got invites and some shit about "testing community features".
  4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I would kick the ass of those community features
  5. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    You're holding out on me! Though that was pretty funny.

Oh btw Kurgan I'm still looking for info on the technical details of how this was possible exactly but the latest Forgotten Hope 2 patch includes support for 126 player servers. And there is one up. Except it's in Finland. And that mod suffers from a serious lack of (North American) players as it is. And I have yet to see El Alamein though may be in rotation.

Update: 120 players at the moment (evening in Europe which is where most of the playerbase is, unfortunately for people like me):

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?=undefined&vars=gamevariant=fh2&game=bf2
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  6. snuif09

snuif09 New Member

Thanks Received:
    goddamnit now i have to reinstall again...
  7. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Haha. The new "Battle Of The Bulge" maps are sweeet! Lots if tweaks and improvements in 2.4 too.

Glory Glory What A Helluva Way To Die
    He Ain't Gonna Jump No More!
    :D
  8. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    GamingExaminer - Battlefield 3 Interview with Karl Magnus Troedsson, VP and GM, DICE

25 JUL 2011 BY BRENDAN VAN DER VLIST IN FEATURED NEWS, GAMING HEADLINES, INTERVIEWS / 1 COMMENT

Blockbuster title, Battlefield 3, is creeping ever closer to that October release that we all eagerly await, with the title of King of First Person Shooters directly in its sights.I recently had the chance to interview DICE VP and General Manager, Karl Magnus Troedsson, about Battlefield 3′s excellent showing at E3 2011, multiplayer pressures and console gamers fears for Battlefield 3.

Gaming Examiner: A lot is being said in regards to the whole Battlefield 3 vs. Modern Warfare 3 showdown due to both games releasing very closely to each other. Based off what has been seen of both games so far, you must be feeling confident of taking over the FPS crown. What are your feelings on the whole match up?

Karl Magnus Troedsson: It’s going to be an interesting autumn that’s for sure! We’re 100% focused on finishing the game and want to deliver the best Battlefield game ever this holiday, and really do not spend much time worrying about what our competitors are doing.

GE: Battlefield 3 made a very strong showing at E3 2011, picking up over 40 awards. I imagine this would have a huge effect on the development team. How has this got the team feeling leading up to the final stages of development?

KMT: We’re extremely pleased with the outcome of E3 this year and the awards and accolades that followed have had a really positive impact on the team and the entire studio. When you invest so much time and energy into one game it’s always very uplifting to read that people enjoy what they saw and played.

GE: The Frostbite 2 engine is, from all accounts, an absolutely amazing piece of technology. How is it working with this new engine in comparison to the previous Frostbite engine?

KMT: Frostbite 2 has made some really big progress since the first installment we used for the first time in Battlefield: Bad Company. Things like streaming, better workflows and pipelines speeds up iteration times which leads to higher quality and more polish. The new lighting and animation definitely makes it easier to create a prettier game as well. This in combination with the more classic Battlefield elements like the possibilities of large scale maps, great destruction and advanced vehicle physics makes for a much better platform to build a game on. At the same time it’s more or less an entire new engine and that always come with some challenges when creating a game.

GE: Bad Company 2 had an entertaining and rather quirky storyline with memorable characters. Can we expect the same tone for Battlefield 3, or is realism and grittiness the name of the game here?

KMT: With Battlefield 3 we decided to take a step away from some of the more slapstick elements in the story and with the characters in Battlefield: Bad Company 2. We wanted to create something that is much more authentic and feels more plausible. So Battlefield 3 will have a rather different tone compared to Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

GE: For many players, the multiplayer is what Battlefield is all about. With such high expectations from gamers you must feel a lot of pressure to make sure you give them what they want. It seems like you have heard what the fans are saying and responded with what looks like an outstanding multiplayer mode. What are some of the major changes made in this version compared to Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and how do you think people will react to these changes?

KMT: Battlefield 3 is the spiritual successor to 2005’s Battlefield 2. At the same time we’re bringing in a ton of learning from the multiplayer components of Battlefield: Bad Company 1 and 2. A lot of the changes we’ve made come directly from the community with typical examples like bringing back prone and 64 players on PC. The challenge lies in trying to satisfy as many of the online players as possible and on some topics the community is really split. We’re also hell-bent on making sure that both the PC and the console version get their separate love, making sure none of the versions are a port of some other.

GE: Bad Company 2 was critically acclaimed for placing an emphasis on teamwork by working with your squad mates. In what ways does Battlefield 3 push the envelope once again?

KMT: Team work has always been at the heart of the Battlefield franchise and Battlefield 3 will introduce a lot of new elements to this. The new suppression mechanic is one example where you and your squad can work together and be successful as well as getting rewarded for it. We also have some other, unannounced, cool new vehicles and gadgets working together in new ways which I believe the tactical team players really will enjoy. This in combination of the social elements of Battlelog making it easier to play together and communicate will take the team play one step further.

GE: Bad Company 2 pushed the envelope in destructible environments. How is Battlefield 3 going to further enhance this feature?

KMT: One key element of the destruction which will take a big step forward in Battlefield 3 comes from the denser, more urban environments we introduce. In these you can take down the facades of huge buildings and expose or take out the enemies entrenched on the different floors.

GE: A lot of the community is asking for details about the Battlefield 3 Beta. Is there anything you can tell us at this stage?

KMT: All I can say at the moment is that our Beta will take place in September, as announced at E3. We’ll have more details soon.

GE: What do you say to the gamers who have expressed their displeasure over the console version being limited to 30 FPS and 720p resolution?

KMT: Console gamers shouldn’t worry about this, this topic is discussed out of proportions. For those tech-savvy enough to have looked into the actual resolution of their console games it won’t come as a surprise that a lot of console games today do not run at 1080p but rather 720p. We’ve done this for our last games and we believe it can still look amazing. When people ask for 1080p they don’t see the compromises that would be needed to get there. As for the frame-rate we’ve made a conscious decision to stick with 30 FPS on console. It’s not a technical problem with getting our game to run in 60 FPS but we do this in favour of the large amount of players, large scale maps, huge amount of vehicles, full on destruction and so on. The pace in Battlefield is slightly slower than some other twitchy shooters of today which lends itself well to this frame-rate.

GE: What would be considered a success for Battlefield 3?

KMT: That the people who play the game tell us that they enjoy it!

I’d like to take this time to thank Karl Magnus Troedsson for taking the time to complete this interview. Also thank you to the the PR team at EA Australia for helping me to obtain this interview.

Battlefield 3 is released on October 25th, 2011 in the United States and October 27th, 2011 in Australia.
  9. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    New Battlefield Blog Post: Questions and answers on the Alpha trial and Beta.

BY: zh1nt0 POSTED: Jul 25, 2011, 11:16AM

[​IMG]

Hello folks! I´ve been getting many questions on twitter regarding the Alpha Trial and also the upcoming beta which was announced at E3 to be in September.

It´s amazing that so many people want to share their experience and are so keen on playing Battlefield 3.

Here are som questions and answers you might find useful :):

How can I get into the Alpha Trial?

It is a highly tech focused test period where the main purpose is to do a number of server related tests in preparation for game launch requiring a set amount of players online to ensure the final experience is as much fun and easy as possible.

Is this the Beta promised to buyers of Medal of Honor: Limited Edition?

No, this is an Alpha Trial, meaning this software is still not at the "Beta" development milestone. The Open Beta will start in September. The exact date for when Medal of Honor: Limited Edition players can join the Beta will be announced at a later date.

Can I join the Battlefield 3 Closed Alpha Trial?

The Alpha is a closed test and by invitation only. If you'd like to have a chance to be called upon make sure to register for our newsletter and ensure your Veteran status is up to date.
    We are also not giving away keys to the Alpha Trial on any of our social networking platforms.

Recently a Medal of Honor: Limited Edition Beta newsletter went out to users. What is that all about?

Well, that newsletter says you are entitled to play the beta in September. It is however not a ticket or a code. If you purchased a copy of Medal of Honor with the Battlefield 3 Beta sticker on it, you are eligible for the Beta. If you have not received the newsletter, make sure you opt in on your EA Profile to receive them. Also, if you haven´t received the newsletter and own a copy of Medal of Honor: Limited edition, you are eligible to play in the beta.*

If you have any questions regarding this blog post, feel free to contact me on www.twitter.com/zh1nt0

*Not second hand copies.
  10. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    See what he did there???

He avoided answering the question like a politician boss
    snuif09 says thanks.
  11. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    German gamespot video interview - The interview is all English, skip the host's German monologues...

GameSpot way: Battlefield 3 at DICE

12. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone who has alpha confirm wither or not you have to have Origins installed to install the alpha build?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    ;)
    Mindweaver says thanks.
  14. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I know this has been asked for a long time BUT!!

WHY CAN I NOT CHANGE MY BF2142 or BF2 passwords anymore!! WTF EA!
    snuif09 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Damn, I don't remeber my passwords! Where is that paper!!!

LOL, whut? OH SH-
  16. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    zh1nt0 answering some questions on the Hell forums:

Later, he said:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Where are they?
  18. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    The Alpha is superb! :rockout:
  19. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    What's your gamer name so I can see if I've (been) killed (by) you?

:rockout:
  20. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Yea I have search the internet and apparently EA has no way of changing your old BF passwords. EA needs to change the profile manager to allow each account to have a "change password" section!

RUBBING IT IN I SEE!

Can you atleast post screenies?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Nope, it'll breach the NDA we've agreed and get us banned.
  22. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    how did you get selected to do this alpha?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Oh, but carrying ammo clips isn't authentic? DICE, I am dissapoint.
    ^This.
    Assuming that I can find that piece of paper where I put the passwords, or the .xls file, I should be ok. But I agree, that something that should be dealt with.
    You've played long enough.
    :p Just kidding.
  24. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    I was chosen at random by DICE & EA.

I had all of last week off from work and only got the invite late on Sunday. So I've only played a little bit. Got a 32 - 7 KD ratio last night.

:D
  25. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Did you get a secret website that you downloaded the alpha from or was it an origin download?
    Crunching for Team TPU