1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Coming to Steam! (Unconfirmed)

Discussion in 'Games' started by BondExtreme, Oct 5, 2011.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Supposedly it should work at release. During beta though, who knows. I don't care either way, not like having Origin running is killing my computer.
    DannibusX says thanks.
  2. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I agree, I'd prefer if it were actually a Steamworks title with VAC and the whole 9 yards. Since Origin's gonna be required (more than likely) and I already preordered it through Origin coupled with the fact that I'm lazy means I'll not likely be canceling my preorder just to get it through Steam.
  3. hugz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good news if true!
  4. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    i will only buy it on steam if it means i can either

a)not use origin
    b)get it for cheaper then the £40 origin wants (preferably around £30 like the boxed release)
  5. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I canceled my pre-order for BF3 before the beta came out. Yet they never removed it from my games list in Origin. Then when Closed Beta started I got a key right away, and BF3 still sits in my games :laugh: So far I think I'm getting it for free, lol. So might be worth trying to cancel!
  6. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    That's funny as hell man!
  7. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Whats funny about it is, I canceled my pre-order because they wouldn't give me an older game for free. I figured I would try and cancel since they are really trying to beat MW3, figured they would fold and give me a game they didn't care about. But they instantly responded saying they could help me cancel the order, and I won't back out of a game of chicken. So I canceled, looks like they got the raw end of the deal, turns out I am getting a free game, and it's not some old crappy title :laugh: They should have just folded and taken my $60, now they get $0.
    DannibusX says thanks.
  8. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    its either steam or no pc version for me, origin won't let me get past 10%
  9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Pretty sure you won't be able to launch the game, but hey here's to hoping you will :toast:
  10. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I only hope, assuming this is finally released on Steam, that the EA members of staff responsible for attempting to bandwagon Origin on to the BF3 launch are ignored in terms of all future corporate decisions and proposals.
  11. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Pretty sure I shouldn't have got a Closed Beta key either. I figured the game would disappear from my games list the day Closed Beta start as they might finally realize I didn't pay for it, but it still remains. If I have to pay no big deal, will work out, especially if it comes to Steam, but I'm going to ride it out! :rockout:

Even if it comes to Steam, it will most likely still install from Origin. Only difference will be it appears in your Steam list and you won't have to add it as a non-Steam game. I haven't heard of anyone not being able to actually download the game, your best bet sounds like a disc copy to me, but you will still need Origin for that as well.
  12. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking about canceling my gamestop pre order and instead pre order it off of one of those CD discount sites... If so, do you think I will still be eligible for those extra pre order features? (4 extra maps)
  13. theubersmurf

theubersmurf New Member

Thanks Received:
    Somehow I don't buy that. Mass Effect 2's DLC was only available via Bioware's site/EA store (Bioware is a wholly owned subsidary of EA, yay) so the idea that Steam bans them from doing that sounds like a pile of bullstuff. And honestly, I think, having been forced to download all of that DLC from Bioware's site such that it's not a part of the core package I bought on Steam...If that's going to be EA's policy moving forward, I may stop buying EA games altogether. Why? Because separating the additional content from the core content is a pain in the @ss. I still have some number of teens downloads on my data drive, rather than just have the whole collection of them backed up using steams backup service.

And as mussels said, Origin clearly blows. Granted Steam blew for a long time too (Back when HL2 launched, yes it did blow for a large part) but getting it together now seems too late, Steam is so polished compared to the other Download services. And now new companies try to put together their own download services...

No less it seems really foolish to try to hammer out the bugs in their own download service while they're in such a harsh competition with Activision over MW3/Battlefield 3. They're setting themselves up for disaster here.
  14. Richieb0y

Richieb0y New Member

Thanks Received:
    i hope it comes to steam if not nobody will hear me.

but if it comes to steam il be glad to have all the games at one place if it let me enter the cd code on steam
  15. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    As much as this makes me really really happy to maybe believe that this could happen. I still don't think it will happen! EA and Origin have already made such a big deal about them "Not selling on Steam" That I just don't think it to be true.
  16. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    It makes perfect sense, like I said before. EA will hold out for as long as they can on BF3, to let as many people as possible pre-order through their own service. Then they will fold to Steam to get everyone else, money is money, and ignoring the Steam clientbase is just stupid.
  17. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    I think what may happen is they will wait until post launch till they release it on Steam... They want to get as many pre orders on Origin as possible so they can keep as much money.
  18. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
  19. caleb

Thanks Received:
    lmfao @ peeps that believe/think its coming to steam.
  20. topgun4343 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Origin = Fast Download!!!

Just purchased through Origin. Full speed on my fast broadband connection. Steam has always seemed a bit slow. I'm a new Origin fan!!
  21. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    more like current origin employee
  22. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Very true, I've never seen anything like the download speeds during the BF3 preload. Steam should take some notes from that.
  23. OneMoar

OneMoar New Member

Thanks Received:
    origin is horribad nuff said ... between the whole battlebook and origin bs I won't be buying battlefield 3
  24. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Big whoop. One less whiner on the field.
    Darkleoco and ShiBDiB say thanks.
  25. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    I copy / pasted a key into origin and then it completely saturated my pipe for the entire download, 5+mb/s start to finish.

You don't even need to touch origin to play the game, it'll just sit hidden away after launching. I don't get what the whining is about, besides logging in once and setting it to remember after that you basically never have to see it again.