1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 locking up the whole system

Discussion in 'Games' started by Relinquish, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

So I was playing battlefield 3 (ultra at 1080p with 2X AA) and the whole system locked up. I started panicing, thinking my overclock on my CPU was unstable but then I opened up task manager to find this:
    [​IMG]

:wtf:Could anyone explain how this is happening? Battlefield 3 memory leak? I can't already be using 8GB in games lol. It went down to 2.1GB idle after a reboot.
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This might be tough to solve as you are using Windows 8. By chance did this happen in Windows 7? BF3 might need to be patched for Win8 man. Could be something else causing the memory leak also. Try playing BF3 with NOTHING else open and see what happens.
  3. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a memory leak, most likely BF3 + Win8. Could be something else to do with win8 depending on what you have installed. Check the process while it is running to see how much memory it consumes.
  4. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it may be a Win 8 issue. After I closed the game, it was still showing 7.9GB used RAM but the process that had the highest memory usage according to the task manager was only 30MB in size which is weird. It couldn't tell me where it was pulling 7.9 from. The thing is when playing multiplayer, I have to run a browser like chrome in the background and I was on a 64 player server at the time. So I don't know. Maybe RTM Win 8 will be better.
  5. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    It may also be an origin thing. I just caught it using 60% of my quadcore at idle on the desktop. WTF?
  6. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    A spike in cpu usage doesnt really mean anything.. as its just that, a spike.

My moneys on a memory leak with bf3 and windows 8, mainly because a simple google says so.. The resounding response from EA seems to be that BF3 does not support windows 8. Whether that changes in the future remains to be seen.