1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 will not be coming on Steam

Discussion in 'Games' started by treehouse, Aug 8, 2011.

1. treehouse New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    From what I read, it was basically that EA doesn't want Valve to get anything for distributing the game, and Valve said that it was ridiculous. Basically it was that EA wants all DLC sales to be handled in-game, and Valve wants them on a seperate marketplace so they can ensure the DLC is always available right alongside the game, and that people who buy it will always have a way to access it if something should happen to their game. EA on the other hand wants Valve to foot the bill for hosting the files, but cut them entirely out of the profit for DLC, and potentially screw over customers by giving them no easy way to access DLC should the initial copy of it be lost.

Notice EA's careful wording; "BF3 will not be available on Steam as the service restricts our ability to directly support players." Notice that they try and make it about the players, because although they overwhelmingly support having the game on Steam, it's really more important that EA is able to maximize profits. This has nothing to do with the players, and is essentially politics in the Video Game Industry.
    yogurt_21, _JP_, qubit and 3 others say thanks.
  3. treehouse New Member

Thanks Received:
    true enough xeno, true enough.

i was planning on buying this game but EA's money grabbing techniques have put me right off.
  4. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    I'll just buy it on disk, problem solved :)
  5. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Ta da da dam

I think ... for once EA is right, Steam wants to automate patching and FORCEFULLY sell all DLC throught their stuff ... which ... you know me i was always against steam since it makes devs sell "crippled patches" instead of releasign free stuff - but there are arguments that EA uses that as an excuse

This might also be DICEs word since they want to use proprietary Updater which is a good idea - i always like proprietary stuff and not some 3rd party service.

One of the problems i have with RAGE is that it might be sold only digitally on steam and that's a big pile of ... you know what. I hope IDSoftware releases FREE "super quality texture packs".
  6. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    It has been known for a while that it is because Valve don't want developers selling DLC only through the developer's own portal. For example mass effect and dragon age DLC had to be bought through a bioware/ea specific website and was a PITA to use as it used bioware points instead of money, and to activate the DLC you needed to have an active internet connection every time you launched the game.

Valve are saying it's fine to sell DLC through that, but the DLC must also be available through steam as it is easier for users to use steam for it. To be honest I agree with Valve on this one because installing DLC for mass effect and dragon age was a horrible experience that I do not want to be put through. EA of course don't care - they want more money (what company doesn't) but they fail to recognise that the way of getting DLC from EA is awful and won't be changing it.
  7. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    EA are just being moneygrabbing assholes as always. I like having an integrated experience, which is what both Steam and Xbox Live provide. I don't wanna jump through hoops just to get my damn DLC.
  8. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With Origin, why does EA need to support Steam, anyway.

Titles like Half Life 2 series and Counter Strike propelled the rise of Steam. EA needs all the AAA titles it can to propagate Origin.
    WhiteNoise says thanks.
  9. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    yea, thats EA though, pisses me off cause I was really planning to get it on steam.
  10. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Because Origin is awful in its current state. When SW:TOR preorders launched it couldn't keep track of how many it had sold, so it would tell people a "likleyness" of their preorder being successful (some people placed multiple orders and got all of them, some got none and some got orders they placed hours after their first "attempt"). They only found out if their order was successful a few hours after placing the order.

Sure competition is good for consumers, but they're removing their games from steam before Origin is at a point where it can even try to compete at the feature level. They should have launched on both and when Origin had proven itself as a viable alternative started switching over to it.
  11. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Steam was every gamer's nightmare in its early days. Origin saves EA money. I'm looking at it from EA's perspective. Gamers will no doubt get the short end of the stick if today's Origin is pitted against today's robust Steam platform.
  12. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    As long as I don't have to download yet another program (origin) to play it, then I don't really care.
  13. treehouse New Member

Thanks Received:
    why cant EA sell it through Origin at the normal price and through Steam at a higher markup, then let the people make their own minds up?

i am sure i am not the only one who wont download another digital platform just to play a few games... good riddance.
  14. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    That's what the problem is. Steam has a proven track record now, and is useful for gamers. Origin is not anywhere near that currently, and with all the hacking events recently hitting bit companies I don't know if I can trust Origin with my data (plus the aforementioned issues with preorders and the hassle of getting DLC through EA).

I guess I'll wait it out for a while, to see if EA change their mind (if they don't I'll decide if I need another FPS to play at the moment).
  15. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    LOL You still need Origin.......Like I said and will say it again Origin is not the problem it is you guys who hate change.Of all the guys who alpha tested(BF3) NOT ONE bitched about Origin.

And i might also add when i got DeadSpace2 i got the fully updated game not the first release to retail then spend spend spend for the DLC like i would have to on STEAM.I have been a user of STEAM since 2003 when it was beta still,I like it and all but to have to keep paying for DLC to get a game is making me wonder who is the money grabbers EA or Valve?
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  16. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Oh man so you need origin to play it? Is it like an update manager or something then?

Only example that I can use here is Impulse and Sins of a solar empire (yea it's old so I guess it doesn't really work as a good example - no updates or DLC etc). If Origin just sits in the corner and doesn't do anything like Impulse does then good. If it screams at me every time I want to play the game that there is a new DLC out, and I have to do this that and the other then GAY.
  17. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    in which case i'd imagine it will work like the EA download manager does at the moment, then it won't be too bad
    WhiteLotus says thanks.
  18. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    No no screams Just when you start a game it will come up saying Origin is starting the game and that is it,You have the option to turn off the in game overlay.
    WhiteLotus says thanks.
  19. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    The way Origin works for SW:TOR is that you do not need to run it to play the game, so it does sound like Impulse in that regard (but that is for an MMO with its own autopatching launcher).
    WhiteLotus says thanks.
  20. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    The problem there is that why would users go from a great system, to a shoddy one? People are reluctant to switch from a system that works, to something that works half as well for essentially no benefit. Take MMO's for example. A lot of people were reluctant to switch from WoW to a game like WAR or AoC, because they were of lower quality. Why go from the most user-friendly and well developed MMO to one that was rushed out of the door, has 1/3rd the features, and runs like shit?

As someone that early adopted Steam for the sake of Counter-Strike, I can agree Steam was awful back in 04 when it launched. But I couldn't imagine using any other platform these days. Valve really revolutionized and set the bar for the Digital Distribution industry.
  21. chris89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im personaly not fussed either way as im not getting BF3 as i've got RO2 now on pre-order on steam.

But remember steam was completely terrible when HL2 was released, Orion what ever it is called will mature and it is fair for EA to use it. But what has put me off BF3 is the most likely cause to buy map-packs etc. Whilst TWI (Tripwire Interactive) have annouced they are not charging for any game changing content ( Maps, Weapons, Tanks etc)

Chris
  22. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Muchos appreciatos
  23. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I looked forward to playing this, but a failure to release on Steam equates to a lost sale and that will remain the case for as long as EA is willing to follow this absurd marketing strategy and attempt to force people on to a platform that nobody wants.
  24. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Battlefield 3 is such a huge AAA title that in practice nobody can boycott it just because it's not available on a distribution platform.

Remember this?

[​IMG]

Not being available on Steam is a much smaller issue.
  25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    EA is pissing in the wind if they think they can take on Steam. IMO.

Only games that are exclusive to Origin will I play on it. (BF3). Even then I will buy it from a brick and mortar. EA screwed me once on DL games from them. Wont fall for it again. Everything I buy will be on Steam unless I am FORCED to play it through Origin. I think most PC gamers feel the same way.