1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I was like how the hell did you miss him.. lol Why anyone would use a controller on pc is beyond me.. For vehicles yes.. but on foot combat.. no thanks. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    New Battlefield Blog Post - Battlefield 4 announced: DICE’s next blockbuster will launch Fall 2013

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    Bjorn_Of_Iceland says thanks.
  3. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
  4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that is one thing I noticed. Explosions seemed a lot better, and more powerful. And more dynamic, didn't seem like everything blew up all the same way. I just hope the online is server side.
  5. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the same 17 minute gameplay trailer you already posted.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    BF4 should be renamed James Bond Returns or whatever... what a heap of drama in that scripted tv spot.!!!!!!!! Give me "battlefields" and a solid MP engine... and you DICE/EA could save tons of monnies not making this crap.
  7. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    I think that was the plan.....right?

I just love how they tout that ONLY in BF4 can you destroy buildings, ONLY in BF4 can you fight from the back of a boat, ONLY ONLY ONLY..... like as if BF4 is the pioneer of these things...... ArmA, DayZ, several other franchises too......FarCry3, Crysis... the list goes on. Plus it looks cool but more of a rehash of BF3+BC2 with less (non scripted) destruction using really bad Hashish in their pipes.

I want some of that amazing stuff too!!
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  8. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Hmm after watching it again I notice flying doorpost without walls around it. Lets see what else we can spot ?

^^
    [​IMG]
    erixx, Mindweaver and REAYTH say thanks.
  9. REAYTH

REAYTH

Thanks Received:
    More knife more knife!!!!!
  10. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Pure LOL caleb, you (our the author of that collage) NAILED IT
  11. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Yea, all the destruction so far is scripted destruction. I want Red Fraction destruction.. I want to level a place.. Not destroy the top of a wall, but not the rest of the wall.. I'd take BC2 destruction over BF3's.

Yea, and the fact scripting is done so badly.. I mean everybody runs to get into that car, but you slowly walk around the vehicle? The whole transition into the script totally sucks. I know it's early, but hell it wasn't any better in BF3 the whole transition from gameplay to script.. How did they not see that as being a problem in the 17 min video they released? Hell they might as well fade to black at the end of each scene... What do you guys think? Am I being to picky or do you think they could do a better job?
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Probably could at that, but I've wanted an excuse to build a new PC anyways, lol
  13. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    battlefieldo - Female characters not playable in BF4 multiplayer

Discussion in 'News & Updates' started by Pancake, Today at 11:38 AM.

In a recent interview with Videogamer.com, Lars Gustavsson gave us some more details on Battlefield 4, regarding the appearance of female characters in the game and whether they are playable or not in the multiplayer, and information revolving around the Wii U. Gustavsson officially stated that females won't be playable characters in Battlefield 4, this both concerns singleplayer as the muliplayer aspect of the game. Lars Gustavsson stated the following:

| I can already now say that you won’t be able to play female in multiplayer. When it comes to singleplayer, (In BF3) you shuffled around numerous characters as you played and it was more about the geopolitical events. This time around, everything from direction to actors, to how we built the engine to deliver the human experience and connection to these digital actors, we’ve also chosen to go for one main character that you play, and with that, that is not a woman, as you might have noticed.

Despite this news, DICE doesn't think that they are sexist in any way:

| I have the deepest respect for the men and the women who choose to do military service. It’s not that anyone is better or worse. It’s definitely a valid question that we asked ourselves.

Disappointing news for all our female Battlefield fans or other people who want to play as a female soldier, this feature will not be available in Battlefield 4.

Lars Gustavsson also revealed that Battlefield 4 will not be playable on the Wii U. Gustavsson explains the decision to skip the Wii U as a featured platform was because he wanted to "ensure that we deliver something good", and he'd rather not risk to spread the team too much by working on multiple platforms.

| Sometimes, at least for us, it's focus on what you do well and what you know well, and ensure that you deliver something good than trying a bit too much, stretching yourself too thin and risking it.

Gustavsson added to further fortify their decision not to develop BF4 for the Wii U.

Via: Pixelenemy

Pancake, Today at 11:38 AM

Battlefieldo - Battlefield 4 in-game screenshots released - Added a few new pictures, including one of "Hanna".

VideoGamer.com - Battlefield 4: Everything We Know

NewsPublish Date 27/03/2013 - 6:00am GMT
    When it rains, it fours.

[​IMG]

Battlefield 4 was formally revealed in Stockholm last night, but beyond a brief introduction to Tombstone Squad and the announcement of Frostbite 3, we still don't know all that much about it – including whether or not it's coming to next-gen platforms.

Nevertheless, there's still a fair amount of information to be deduced from the gameplay reveal. Here's everything we know about Battlefield 4 so far…

• Battlefield 4 is built on Frostbite 3, a new version of DICE's engine that improves the game's visuals, animations and AI. You can read more about Frostbite 3 here.
    • Battlefield 4's opening mission, 'Fishing In Baku', is set in the capital city of Azerbaijan, and introduces players to Tombstone Squad.
    • Tombstone consists of four soldiers: Irish, Pac, player character Recker and squad leader Dunn. SPOILER: Players must cut off Dunn's leg with their knife after he's crushed by a destroyed helicopter. He later dies after the vehicle he's riding in plummets into the sea.
    • Rather than jumping between different characters throughout the campaign, players will solely play as Recker, with the single-player narrative focussing on the story of Tombstone. There will be additional characters, though, including a female soldier rumoured to be called Hanna.
    • DICE is using real world actors to play the roles of its soldiers. Irish is played by The Wire's Michael K Williams. The soldier's facial animations are exquisite.
    • Female characters will not be playable in the game's single or multiplayer.
    • Little is known about the game's story. However, the game appears to include at least three warring factions, including the United States, Russia, and China. A Chinese character called 'Admiral Chang' is referred to during the prologue’s closing moments.
    • The opening mission recaps the moments leading up to Dunn's death, following Tombstone Squad as they engage in a firefight inside an abandoned school and creep through a woodland, before being ambushed by Russian troops outside a construction yard.
    • A set-piece later in the level sees Tombstone climbing to the top of a building for helicopter extraction, before coming under fire from a Russian attack chopper. The building is destroyed, but players continue to fight as it crumbles to the ground.
    • Art director Gustav Tilleby states that the game's tone is based on an "aggressive world". "In the single-player campaign, the world is on the verge of war, and the story of Battlefield 4 is an underdog story. The squad is fighting against the odds and fighting against the elements." He continues: "The world is on the verge of war and the squad is driving straight into it."
    • Players are now able to issue orders to their squad mates, including the ability to designate targets to allies on the ground and in the air. It isn't clear whether players will be able to issue other types of orders.
    • By designating targets, players can get squad mates to draw fire away from them, allowing them to flank enemies and make alternative approaches to situations.
    • Two drivable ground vehicles have been revealed so far, including a civilian 4x4 and a buggy equipped with a turret.
    • Sea vehicles include a dinghy, attack boats and jet skis. Naval warfare was suggested, but not revealed.
    • One level, set in an unnamed ocean, sees the player riding alongside a huge aircraft carrier as waves crash against their dinghy.
    • Everything in the environment is now affected by wind and forces, with particles, cloth and foliage all affected by the impact of helicopter crashes, grenade explosions and passing cars.
    • There appears to be an element of score-chasing in Battlefield 4. The player's score for the level is visible in the top right of the screen at all times, alongside what appears to be an icon for the number of friends online. A trophy icon can also be seen, but it is not yet clear what this represents.
    • DICE says that it is aiming to bring "key elements" of Battlefield's multiplayer into the game's single-player, and promises to offer "more open" levels and "more freedom of movement".
    • Pre-order customers will receive a "Premium expansion pack" at no additional cost. A Battlefield 4 "Digital Deluxe" version of the game featuring bonus "in-game digital items" and access to Battlefield 4's multiplayer beta will be available exclusively via Origin.
    • Battlefield 4 launches on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC in autumn 2013. A release on next-gen platforms has yet to be announced. The game will not be available on Wii U.

Source: Battlefield 4 reveal event in Stockholm. Travel and accommodation provided by EA.

Videogamer.com - DICE reveals Frostbite 3

NewsPublish Date 27/03/2013 - 6:00am GMT

Next-gen engine tech designed to create a "dynamic, human and believable experience". Also: seagulls.

DICE has announced Frostbite 3, the latest version of its 'next-gen' engine used to power Battlefield 4.

In development since 2011, Frostbite 3 is described by the studio as an "evolution" of its existing Frostbite 2 engine, designed to create a "dynamic, human and believable experience" and allow for improved animations, destruction and AI.

"With Frostbite 3 and all the high-performance platforms it supports, we want to take another big step forward and set a new bar," explains Carl Almgren, senior development director on Frostbite 3.

"The Battlefield 4 team, they wanted to make a game that is dramatic, human and believable, and two areas that we feel is key to achieve this mission is characters and our environments."

Frostbite 3 is designed to make "full use" of current-gen consoles, as well as take advantage of "multi-core PC platforms" and - presumably - next-gen consoles.

"Since 2011 we firmly believed that this would be the base for all future platforms," continued Almgren. "We also had this perfect test bed in Battlefield 3. From day one, we made sure that Battlefield 3 would run on Frostbite 3 through a bunch of conversion scripts. This also made the transition very smooth for the Battlefield team."

Used to power all versions of Battlefield 4, Frostbite 3 is said to offer "hundreds of different improvements" with a focus on "making the characters feeling much more human and emotional.

"We’ve talked about the appearance," Almgren adds, "that's how the character looks, and they look great. But it's also about the movement. Now the movement pattern is much more complete."

Thanks to Frostbite 3, the weight and "feel" of characters in Battlefield 4 is superior to Battlefield 3, Almgren states, with the transition from motion-capture to artist-drawn animation rendering far more naturally.

"It's really difficult now to see when you go from mo-cop to handmade animations,” says Almgren.

As well as making improvements to the characters, Frostbite 3 has also been designed to make Battlefield 4's environments feel more dynamic.

"We worked with our different systems, like the dynamic lighting, the materials, the reflections, the shadows, the particles, basically everything to make the world feel much more real and alive," continues Almgren.

"Also, with Frostbite 3 and Battlefield 4, everything is now affected by wind and forces. Forces could be a helicopter crashing, or a tower falling down, or a grenade, or a car passing by. This will be combined with the wind – both the global wind and local wind – and we’ll also make all the stuff you see in the environment move: the trees, the undergrowth, the cloth on the characters, and also the smoke and the particles."

And what about destruction?

"That’s really a key feature," says Almgren. "Everyone involved now has a better understanding of how to use destruction and when to use destruction, and what does this really mean to our players. I think it's going to mean that it will be more destruction where it makes sense, but it will also be better destruction and different types of destruction that you haven’t seen before."

As seen in the screen above, Frostbite 3 is also capable of rendering a tonne of seagulls on-screen at once, and though it may look pretty in the screens, Almgren states that that level of fidelity is achievable in the actual game - on PC, at least.

"Everything you saw in the demo is in-game, in-engine, no pre-rendered, no movie, no fake; this is actually what you're going to experience in-game."

But the engine isn't just built for high-end systems. In an interview with VideoGamer.com, Battlefield 4's creative director Lars Gustavsson said that DICE's aim is to "push it on all platforms and make the most of [current-gen consoles].

"There are so many things that we do now that might actually save memory," said Gustavsson, "that we pushed the boundaries last time, now we've come up with better ways of doing it. It looks better and it’s actually cheaper to do it.

"It's always a haggle, but it really, in short steps we need to build the game scalable so that it cannot really feel like it’s not built for that platform. That's something we’ve carried with us for a long time."

Frostbite 3 is set to debut with Battlefield 4 this autumn. Additional information on the engine will be revealed later in the spring.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  14. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    any word on what these 'ingame bonus items' are?
    REAYTH says thanks.
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Any MP news or previews in the works?
  16. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    I would guess the same stuff BF3 Premium members get, a special knife, special dog tags, exclusive achievements, double XP weekends, early access to videos, etc.

Not that I know of.
  17. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    Well, BF4 looks like BF3. Almost identical in fact, hmmm.
  18. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    tbh, all of that sounds rather depressing compared to what they gave us with BC2 pre-orders.
    needless to say I thought the bonus items in BF3 premium werent great either.

If by having premium we can unlock weapons ahead of time just like with BC2 Or at least a knife or gun with a camo that only the person who bought premium can have then that provides some incentive even though it isnt a very good one.

I dont need hundreds of different dog tags, I dont need a 'special knife' if there's no discernible differences between the standard knife and the special one apart from its colour.

Maybe add special weapons that only Premium members can have?? apart from not having to pay for another expansion there needs to be more incentive. something that makes a difference in game and not something thats totally useless
  19. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    They wouldn't do Premium-only weapons. Even if they were no better or actually worse than stock imagine the outcry and complaining (and if they aren't good or special what's the point?); BF3 Premium was bad enough in this regard and it's only 'controversial' feature was the queuing. That just smells too much like some form of "pay-to-win".
  20. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    First game I remember having destruction, real destruction, not just generic select spots was Red Faction on PS2. There might have been a title before then, but that was like 2002, so a long time ago, I remember playing MP with Marineborn on that, the destruction just never got old. Either way, I haven't even watched the video yet, I'm afraid I won't see the level of destruction BC2 had, so I fear watching it.
  21. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that was the first I played with destruction too. I remember how cool it was to blow a hole in a wall and use it to your advantage. I had it on PC.
    Wow those maps were so tiny compared to today games. I put in lots of hours on the multiplayer. That and the first 2 SOF games were my favorite back then.
    Then the COD run until MW2 and Battlefield ever since.
    My take on this trailer is combination of Warfighter and BF3, but it really doesn't matter it is all up to Dice to make this work. 90%
    of the people are buying it for the Multiplayer. I hope they knock it out of the park. If they ever hand it off to Danger Close it is done.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  22. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    [yt]?v=SYrRktr1YUo[/yt]

[yt]?v=glsj8dsWwKI[/yt]
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  23. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it came out on PC a few months later, I didn't have a machine back then. I remember running out of in-game memory and the tunnel would cease to exist. At least me and Marine always hypothesized the poor PS2 just didn't have the RAM to make more destruction capable. Later on when we played on PC, many, many years later and could tunnel forever, we realized that was correct.

RFII disappointed with much less destruction. Infact, no RF has really impressed me since the first sadly.

And had to look up Danger Close to see who they were, I understand your worries now. But sadly (sounds weird saying it like this) I don't think it will be handed off. BF3 went more mainstream to grab COD players, and I have a gut rotting feeling it's going to keep riding that line (this is why the destruction was toned down, and why we had taller buildings and more hallways in my opinion.
  24. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    It went 3rd person too didn't it ? Or was that the last one ?
    The first one was the only one I played. I remember getting really worked up about SOF
    Payback because I love the first 2. Wow that was a worse mistake then Warfighter :laugh:
    Paid $50 for that POS too:mad:
  25. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Im actually a little more excited now after reading about Frostbite 3.0. Which I think should be more like Frostbite 2.5 but regardless.