1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by 1Kurgan1, Jan 23, 2010.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I don't want the BF series to turn into COD here, we shouldn't need a new major product to come out within a year (BC2 hasn't even been out a year). This is something to occupy your time here and there, if you go backrupt buying every new weapon under the sun, thats mis-management of money. Theres a ton of AAA free to play titles out there, if you haven't played them I'm sorry. But my example of League of Legends is an amazing F2P title that is better than its Pay to Play competitors. And it offers full game content without costing cash, you only pay for visual skins.

This gives people the opportunity to try out BF2 if they never have. And for free, and it most likely took very little development hours. The BF 2 Collection is still $29.99 on Steam store.. .thats as much as BC2, and now we have people complaining about them offering that for free! I have played numerous F2P titles and I have yet to spend $30 on any one of them, so basically if you spend smart, or don't spend at all, your actually saving money, I just can't see how thats a bad thing.

It also has zero effect on BC2, Vietnam is right around the corner, BF3 is slated for sure, BC2 patches have been happening a lot lately, all sounds good to me?

What hype? And quality? BF2 is still one of the best FPS experienced out there and now it can be enjoyed by all and bring some life back too it. And what hype, yes it's F2P, but dont expect people to up and quit BC2 here, if anything this will bring in COD fans (as COD has way more players, albeit mostly on console) and then they might actually want to give BC2 a shot.

Remember, COD4 became popular on console and BF never made it there in time so COD shot up in popularity, most people I know that play COD on console never even played any BF game ever, they hadn't even ever heard of BF till BC2 was announced. Some of those people I got to try out BC2, and the ones I did, all of them have liked it more than MW, they had never tried it before, didn't know what they were missing, but its hard to go out and spend money on the unknown when your happy with what you got, this allows them to get the feel for free.

2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I only own like 2 games with micro-transactions available and neither of them is center around it like you descript. They are Dragon Age and Team Fortress 2 (which on recently started this). For you to be so upset about micro-transactions you much be A. playing console games and B. playing the wrong console games.

I don't think micro-transactions are killing the game industry. I think people buying second rate titles because of hype as MailMan pointed out, the industry not defending controversial games, and people buying "update" games are killing the industry. And Gamestop is killing games.

Lets all keep in mind that this industry is barely into its 20's and is still experimenting with how to improve the system. Not every model and idea will be well received or work. For more details click on the link below.

Project $10

NOW BACK TO BFBC2 DISCUSSION IN THE BFBC2 CLUBHOUSE!

Black Haru says thanks.
  3. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    that was a good video.

when the beta for Play4free gets a bit nearer we will make a seperate clubhouse for it.

as for bc2. I really, really, really want to sneak up behind someone and see if the blowtorch sets people on fire like the flamethrower does (in V.)

4. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    I hope my ping improves soon so i can practice my Headshots

5. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Kurgan makes some good points, as does TLM, but Mailman and Mussels are really saying what I'm thinking here. Granted we all can't just moan and clamor for for "the old days", everything changes and evolves, but while this has always been a business about profits first and foremost I just don't feel the present model and where the industry seems to be going is ultimately doing a service to the consumer both from a quality and cost standpoint.

That said, note I never claimed I would not be trying this out. ;)

6. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
  7. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Funny how they couldn't make new maps a few months ago (going with unlocking different sections of the same map or using the same map for different game modes). Now that they realize that BO may outsell BC2/MOH (perhaps combined) all of a sudden new maps (although from BC) are coming out. Amazing what competition does.

8. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I don't think they just realized that BO will outsell both combined, I think thats been pretty straight forward the entire time. But BO's sales are almost all on console (and mostly 360), thats their target market, personally I know 12 people who play the MW series and every single one of them plays it on the 360, 0 on PS3, and 0 on PC.

BC2 has been out for like 8 months now, enough time for them to develop an expansion, I'm sure they got a few other maps in the making too.

9. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    +1
    Atleast Dice atempts to make a new game and patches Obvious game play design oversights.
    Instead of dumping a crappy console port on us for 59.99 for pc

Also you can bet another team is doing Vietnam, secondly im being that BF3 will use the frostbyte engine.
    what better way to develop a similar new game then by seeing what works and what dosent
    Ex BC2=MOH=BF3

@Wikipedia

10. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I actually am very impressed with the Frostbite engine, it works well on both consoles and it works extremely well on PC, usually hard to find that middle ground for Multiplayer games. But to be honest BC2 really is an amazing looking game, and I would like to see what they can really do with this.

11. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    That just made my day. GW DICE :rockout:

Cannot wait for BF3.

Mussels says thanks.
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  13. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I honestly believe they are just realizing that. Other than what was released (VIP map packs and patches for the last 8 months) the only other news was regarding Vietnam (not free). Also most of Dice was working on the MP aspect of MOH as well. As far as I know Vietnam hasn't been released yet. But we are seeing notes on another VIP map pack after Vietnam :wtf:? Nah, I ain't buying that. It looks to me that this is a direct result of BO. Which is why I believe that competition is a good thing :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    NEW MAPS CONFIRMED. Not just Harvest!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-08-new-maps-coming-to-bad-company-2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    New Battlefield Blog Post: VIP Map Pack 7

16. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    When does it release gully?

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Do I get no credit!

GullyFoyle says thanks.
  18. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    Unconfirmed quote: "zh1nt0 said that the map pack will be released in the next 'few weeks' but NOT next week."

TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm guessing Thanksgiving.

20. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    The sales for MW2 vs BC2 showed a massive gap, I doubt they just realized it. They had no reason to release new maps before this, you always save that for when the competition releases something big, so people keep looking at your stuff.

Just like ATI vs NV, ATI releases 6800's, NV releases updates on GTX 580.

21. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    No relation there as we are dealing with 2 different developers (Treyarch/Infinity Ward) release 2 different types of 1st person shooters. With the news of a newer vip map pack after announcing Vietnam (something they've been working on for sometime now) it's in response to BO in my book. That's why we need competition :D

22. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    And you are also dealing with a $15 expansion and a $60 game, you can't compare the two, it's apples and oranges. Even if BC2 Vietnam sold more, it's revenue intake would be significantly smaller. And after the huge let down of no private servers in MW2 and thats coming back, BO sales will be up, different developer or not.

23. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    No, I'm not comparing the 2 :wtf:. What I've said is that VIP map pack is brought forward as the result of BO. I've made no comparison between Vietnam and BO. What I did say is that Vietnam was in development for sometime now. Yet to this day hasn't been released yet. However, since the release of BO has drawn near they now announce another VIP map pack :D. That is in direct response to BO from my point of view.

Apparently you are confused about the whole ordeal. Here read this article. Per Dice, they had no plans on any new maps after Vietnam ;).
    That was back during Aug 2010.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  24. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    I somewhat agree with east coast.

they have obviously been working on this for a while, but I think they held off with the announcement until now specifically to keep interest with the release of BO.

I look forward to new content regardless, once we get a release date, we should set up a group play night and see how many TPU we can fit on one server.

**I also agree that we are most likely looking at a thanksgiving release date.

25. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    1Kurgan1 and MT Alex say thanks.