1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by 1Kurgan1, Jan 23, 2010.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its not a CPU bottleneck. Like I said I never hit that with a single 5850. Even if he has a bottleneck he should be getting FPS well beyond what I am getting.
  2. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Maybe he went overboard with the AA setting? :D
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I set mine to only 2x due to AA being completely F#$king broken in that game. I noticed things are even LESS smooth if you go above 2x believe it or not.
  4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    An x6 won't be bottlenecking on BC2, even on stock clocks my 1055t was running my dual 5850's to 99%, unlike my previous 720BE.
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I think its more of a driver issue or even a wonky setting he has.

@Horrux how do you install and update your drivers man?
  6. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about last night , both my sons showed up and took out to the clubs. They do have a a program to set up a 360 controller on the PC.
    I did it for awhile, but I suck as bad with it as keyboard and mouse.
  7. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Hm, hard to say...

I restored a backup from a few months back due to having problems with the tweak to enable SLI on my crossfire mobo screwing up my windows partition. Then I installed the newer drivers, but I don't recall if the backup was from back when I had my Radeons or my single GTX 570... I guess I should check?

Thing is, I don't even get any turbo core thing when running a single-threaded game like The Witcher, so I'm thinking my CPU isn't fully functional... Is it possible I'm still using only 4 cores?

And also, I have seen how an Intel 980X makes 2 GTX 580s in SLI the bottleneck, but I figure my X6 would either be going 100% the whole way or my 570s would be way high utilization, but none of either is happening...

As for the "going too high on FSAA" thing, sure, I can see it, but I'd think my GPU utilization would get real high, no? Many times it's in the 40s...

Maybe I should fire up crysis and see if my GPU utilization goes way up?
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I am willing to bet money you have a driver issue now. You should be getting damn near 100fps with that setup.

Follow these directions..

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52502
  9. burtram

burtram

Thanks Received:
    Hehe no worries. I enjoy playing battlefield either way. I'll look into and experiment with something to map keys to my 360 controller. I can fly the Blackhawk okay, just not the gunship.
    Oh and I also sent a friend invite, since I didn't see you on my list.
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, its an indication that the game is a CPU whore.
  11. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Played with a terrible team everyone was a god damn sniper, seems like i had to go into rambo mode like Kurgan something i dont normally do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What you should do is overclock your CPU to at least 3.8ghz and your CPU/NB frequency to at least 2800mhz. If that doesn't yeild in better results you're haveing VGA driver problems.
  13. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Really? What about the fact I'm seeing about 60% CPU utilization... If it were that much a CPU whore, I'd be at 95% and up, no?
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no. you should read up on how multi threading works, and how task manager reports CPU usage.
  15. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    95% would make it CPU intensive and real world application outside of a few applications that are design to use every drop of power it can find (folding, rendering). 60% of your total power for a single program is hording or whoring or whatever you want to call it. As 99% of real world apps. will be limited to just what they need to get the work done. A good example is DVD encoding. You would think it would use all the power it can to finish as quickly as possible, but in reality it will only show 60 to 70% load while running.

I could be wrong, but the key different between these classes of applications is something like folding is a single calculation set to run as fast as possible. While encoding a DVD, scanning your computer, etc. are a series of millions of small calculations/algorythms. The CPU will queue it up and begin work. By the time it hits 70% use, its done and moving on to the next set. <- Take that with a grain of salt as I am rusty on those semantics and not sure if that is right.
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    eh, i figured it was more common knowledge.

you're talking a 6 core - 16% in task manager, is one core maxed out (on however many threads.)

so you can see ~67% usage and think 'i got heaps of room spare!' but what that really means is that four of your cores are maxed out and holding you back - and you need to get a faster CPU, or overclock to get more performance. games just dont magically spread the load evenly, so using an average CPU % number doesnt cut it.
  17. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Are we talking about the Process list tab? You can't base load on that tab because they numbers are total process load. That single number on the Process tab means nothing as it could be 1 or 2 cores at 100% or all being used evenly. It tells you nothing. So for me, when I am encoding a DVD or something and I say 60% load I mean across every core.

Games are not as dynamic, I will give you that, but they do try to even the load out as much as they can. I have seen Bad Company 2 run 100% on 1 core, 30% on 2 others, and less than 10% in the last. The issue is I can't tell if that was all the game or what else was contributing to that load. And on that note I have seen Bad Company 2 run with 40 to 60% load across 3 cores as well.
  18. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    However, I believe BFBC2 has been shown to use 12 threads on an intel hexa-core, and to fully utilize the 6 real cores... I think my CPU is still somehow behaving like a quad, especially given that turbo-core isn't working...
  19. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    The chip is fine. Turbo on AMD is based on assumed required processing power and temperature. Open up your BIOS and see if A. Turbo is Enabled, B. Double check how many cores are boosted, and C. How far it will go.

By default my test rig was set to boost 3 cores up to 3.5 Ghz under heavy load. I had the options to boost then entire chip up to 3.7 Ghz, but didn't want to try that with a stock cooler. Once I get a case that is no so cramped, I will see what that chip can actually do.
  20. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Of course the chip is fine, I'm just wondering if all the cores are getting used properly.

I was running The Witcher the other day which is a demanding single-core game and no core was boosted.

BTW the highest I have been able to bring this chip is 35°C at stock settings using my magnificent Noctua NH-D14... I have high hopes for a great overclock on this thing, except that I think I'll be getting me a RevoDrive first, because rebooting and waiting 10 minutes (which is about what it takes in my case) is just completely nuts. Hm, come to think of it, I could install just Windoze on another partition and try that...
  21. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I had my 1055 running at 3.9ghz on the stock cooler for well over a month 24/7. Granted I wasn't using a case at the time, I now just run it at 3.6, these 6 cores clock real easy, I would put it on par with my AII 240.
  22. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Darth Vader

I always wondered why Vader had that horrible breathing problem.
    Highways Avatar shows why. After all these years :roll:
  23. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Anyone up for some BC2 tonight?
  24. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    maybe me, not sure yet.
  25. Nimmer New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...ses-Compute-Shader-for-Deferred-Shading/News/

old article but does state "2-8 parallel threads"

If there is more would be a great reason to buy the 2011 pin ivy bridge 8 core 16 thread in 1q 2012