1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Beer + Computer = Bad Day , Is my Motherboard RMA'able?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Huddo93, May 6, 2012.

1. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

Something very unfortunate happened to me the other day. One of my mates spilt his beer into the top of my computer and has happened to fry to what I know to be my graphics card (completely) and might be giving some grief to my motherboard.

So I pulled apart the computer, and let it dry for a day for it to dry. Most of the beer hit the GPU and its dead for sure. So I've put in a older GPU (which I know works) and I can hear the computer booting up (Windows Loading Noises) but I cant get any video through any of the PCI lanes using a range of different older GPU's that I have lying around. On top of this the on board video works fine and my computer seems to be 100% functional as I'm using it to post this thread.

So I'm guessing all my PCI lanes have been screwed over in the accident. Is this sort of problem RMA'able or will I just be wasting my time? If this sort of problem isn't covered by RMA I guess ill just bite the bullet and buy another motherboard.

I'm unsure what else could be causing problems to just my graphics card, other than my PSU, which seems to be working for all other components in my system.

Any advice on the RMA / Problem solving for what could be causing my GPU issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
  2. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    If you RMA and tell them how it happens I am 100% sure they would refuse RMA. If the mobo looks normal and you tell them it simply quit working RMA is possible.

Do you or our beer spilling friend have home insurance?
  3. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    1) Do not mention beer in the RMA!

But beyond that, I have two questions.
    Do the other PCI-e slots still work?
    Have you cleaned the motherboard fully, with something like isopropyl alcohol?

The first question determines if the chip bridging the PCI-e x16 slots has been fried. If this is the case, then an RMA is in order. Just make sure to clean!
    The second part is to make sure no gunk is connecting leads in the connector. Bridged traces are a definite problem. From what I've heard (hmmh...vegemite...hmhmm) "good" Australian beer can be chewy, which may be leaving residue.
  4. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've cleaned the motherboard with Methylated Spirits in the places where the beer had been spilt. Ill give the motherboard another good inspection to see if I missed anything.

And it seems non of the PCIe lanes, Not even the PCIe x1 which I use for a wireless card works.

So it seems a RMA will be in order. Has anyone had any experience with asRock and there RMA process?
  5. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Try to use some isorprpyl or other alcohol and a toothbrush and clean the contacts inside the pcie slots.
    Good luck.
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  6. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Before you RMA make sure no beer residue is visible. If you or your friend had home insurance you could get money for both mobo and gpu.
  7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    He he he.

In the US it was...interesting. I spoke with an AsRock representative, and got an RMA number in about 2 days. 3 days to ship to Asrock. 5 days for them to inspect it. Finally, 5 mores days to ship it. 2 weeks and a day from starting the process before I got my replacement. Mind you, my failure was a RAM slot, that wasn't my fault.

They might offer cross shipping, but they'll put a hold on your credit card for the value of the board, until they get their board back.

Despite all this, it was less painful than a Gigabyte RMA. Just sayin'...
  8. plywood99

plywood99

Thanks Received:
    Here's a novel idea, why not have your "mate" pay for the damages he did and quit trying to stroke a Asrock?
    jasper1605 says thanks.
  9. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Here's a more novel idea. An RMA can be used for more than just "free" repair. If you read the RMA terms they suggest that non-manufacturing damages can be repaired should they be found. The consumer will be responsible for the cost of these repairs.

So you were obviously thinking that we want to abuse the system, but it isn't the case. Perhaps before you jump to conclusions you can adequately determine the situation?
    Huddo93 says thanks.
  10. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Accidents happen, plywood. If it were me Id make a working computer out of the motherboard (so onboard video) and some random crappy parts and sell it to some noob on eBay... keep everything else. You might make 400$ which is enough for a mobo, but it depends what spare parts you have.
  11. M.Beier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Home insurance should handle it.
  12. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Correct, even if it was a repair and some cost was implied. It would still be less than having to fork out for a completely new motherboard.

unfortunately no :(

My mate (who happens to be a good a very good friend thank you very much) will take any charges that are implied in the accident, but just because he will pay doesn't mean I want to have it cost anymore than it should.

Unfortunately I dont have enough spare parts for a make shift sandy bridge build :(

Also,

I did look into asRock's RMA process, it seems the only way is via America. Considering I live in Australia that is quiet a burden.

Considering just replacing the motherboard with a Z77 Extreme 6 $200 or Possibly a ASUS Z77 Deluxe $300

Going to send a few emails to asRock to find out more before I decide to make any purchases though.

Thanks for all the feedback so far! has been very helpful
  13. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    stephanie@asrockamerica.com

This is the person who I talked to. While speed isn't exactly her thing, she always sends a decent response. Expect about 2~4 hours, on average, before you get a response.

Best of luck. I've still got the second extreme 3 gen 3 board (my RMA) from them, and it performs very well.
    Huddo93 says thanks.
  14. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, ill let you know how it goes once I get a response.
  15. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have had a brief encounter, basically i had to gmail some dude who took ages to reply, then eventually when i told him im from scotland gave me another european dude to gmail.after trying to explain the problem numerous times they agreed to allow rma, HOWEVER, i had to pay the postage and packaging to and from their facility not knowing if they even would repair the board. This was around £60-£70 for me both ways shipping
  16. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    Sugar is the big enemy in this case.
  17. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Older motherboards, ISA like 386 and 486 could be put through a dishwasher quite reliably. They must not make them like they used to with ROHS and shit. I'm sure the BIOS is probably more touchy as well.
  18. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You can still do that with modern boards. But the beer spilling while the computer was on could have fried the PCI-e switches on the board.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  19. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i dont think it is honest to try and rma the parts that were ruined by your friend. either your friend should help you buy replacement parts or you should replace them on your own. rma isnt for accidents like that and if everyone did it then rmaing would not exist.
    plywood99 says thanks.
  20. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
  21. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Pull the battery off the mobo and get the board to the sink. Run warm water over the entire board and use a small fine brush and clean the board. Make sure you have a few gallons of distilled water to rinse the board down and let it dry.

I've done it myself a number of times with out a problem :D
  22. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    +1
  23. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    If the two of you were really suggesting paying for non-manufacturing damages then there would be no reason to not tell them about the beer. By refusing to tell them that and suggesting to clean the board of any physical evidence it sure looks as if you are trying to pull one over on Asrock. It would be one hell of a coincidence that the board's failure was independent of the beer being poured in it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Destilled water can be gotten from a gas station - battery water..
  25. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Grocery store ect... as long as its distilled water :)