1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bent Motherboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ramo1203, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Ramo1203

Ramo1203 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everbody,

Basically my Motherboard is bent. I installed a new heatsink WITH a backplate. and now the ports in the I/O Shield Plate don't align properly. Screwing the Motherboard in the case doesn't seem to solve the problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What should I do?

2. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    That looks fine, I/O plates are cheaply made, that could cause them to be off aligned. Or even a slightly warped case, even the $100 - $200 cases have flex to them. Looks like you can plug in anything there just fine, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Ramo1203 says thanks.
  3. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    How is it because of the I/O plate? It's clearly straight, the motherboard is not. Are the spacers in your case of the same length? If they are, the screws should force it to align? If not, that's your problem :)

Ramo1203 says thanks.
  4. Ramo1203

Ramo1203 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well before it didn't do that. Well I can barely use my 2 USB and PS2, it does seem to get better through time. Maybe if I let it like this, it will align by it self in a few days?

Humm I checked the Motherboard stand-off, they are quite short and they are all the same height. But I could use higher ones in the corners that aren't bend and smaller ones in the bend corners?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  5. qamulek

qamulek New Member

Thanks Received:
    After the thermal pastes burns in it is possible to loosen the screws holding the heatsink on without the heatsink falling off. I remember once taking off all the screws holding down the heatsink, and I had to forcibly pull the heatsink off.

Another thought may be that the backplate doesn't have enough clearance and the backplate is keeping the motherboard bent up after mounting. Maybe something else is stuck behind the motherboard? I don't know, these are just thoughts that come across my mind when I see that huge bend :eek:

Ramo1203 says thanks.
  6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Is there enough room behind your mobo for the backplate? It could be that the backplate is pushing up on the mobo.

Ramo1203 says thanks.
  7. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Some cooler backplates do that.
    I had it on my old Asus board. That board was also curved as hell.
    Also my HD3870 that i equipped with a Thermalright V2 is now so bend that i had to loosen the screws a bit to get it in the slot.

Ramo1203 says thanks.
  8. Ramo1203

Ramo1203 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Back Plate seems to fit in the back. guess I'll have to live with it...

9. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Its definetly not touching the chassis? And pushing up on the mobo? Does your mobo look bent or is it just not lining up with the I/O?

10. Ramo1203

Ramo1203 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the rest of the I/O is aligned, only the top ports near the socket. I'll try to remove every thing to check to be 100% sure. I'll report back later.

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    overclock the backplate so you board won't be bent as much

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    LOL WHAT ?? you mean you can't see that the mobo is bent , the back plate is fine well seated and every thing .

This is what I would do . I would take the HSF and back plate off turn the back plate around , In other words take the hole and or peg that is the nearest to the I/O ports and placing it in the hole near the ram chips this should solve the problem also make sure that you are giving even pressure to each screw as you reinstall the HSF .
    I hope this works . Also there might be some thing that is affecting the worpage and back plate on the mobo it's self so check the mobo and every thing and see how it sits on the mobo and if there is any thing in the way at all solder or transistor or any thing .

13. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... You're gonna have to write a guide of backplate OC'ing hat. I can't recall ever seeing one :roll:

14. Ramo1203

Ramo1203 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay the Motherboard is definitely bent. I tried with the low weight Stock Cooler and the ports still don't align. Any thoughts about running a PC without the I/O Shield Plate? Dust? Risk? :confused:

Or could I put it back straight by screwing the mobo in the case without a cooler and letting it adjust through time?

15. qamulek

qamulek New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does the stock cooler mount with pushpins? If you still have to use screws to mount the cooler then I'd still take a guess that its to much torque on the screws, but if not then my next guess(before blaming a truely bent mobo) would be that something is catching on the motherboard right where it meets the I/O plate. Even if the motherboard is slightly bent I would think that the screw that holds the mobo to the case would be enough to force the mobo to straighten out, which is why I'm thinking something is catching on the mobo.

Maybe one of the gold(colored) spacers isn't fully screwed in? I don't know just more guesses since I really would hate to blame a bent motherboard on that huge bend.

In any case if you don't figure it out then there really isn't much to worry about running the pc without an I/O shield, just be careful when plugging stuff in so you don't accidently short the mobo with a piece of metal. I ran my last pc without an I/O shield, and the worse that happened was dust building up around the ports since it was like an air exhaust without the shield. I'm going to guess there are technical reasons for the I/O shield, such as maybe EMI shielding, but I don't worry about it that much especially since I'm running my current pc with no side panel :roll:

16. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    My 680i is a bit off alignment, but the connections are still there, so its no biggy to me.:)

17. Ramo1203

Ramo1203 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I FIXED it! :)

I used some spare Lian-Li Motherboard stand-offs, don't know why but not the ports are all aligned. Mysterys of Hardware... :rolleyes:

CDdude55 says thanks.
  18. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Its weird, my CM690 case came with both long and short standoffs, making it annoying trying to compare sizes to make sure all the ones i use where the same length.