1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bent Pin on my motherboard :(

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Kusimeka, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Just got all my brand new pc parts, and i'm unsure of whether i did this myself or not, but after building the whole thing it wouldn't boot. So i took it all apart again, and i saw there was a single bent pin on the CPU connector pin.

After just spending £1000, getting so excited and spending a good few solid hours building it, I'm pretty upset. I was thinking of trying to bend the pin back myself, my friend claims he can do it and has a kit to do so.

What do you guys think? Give it a try and if no luck try and get it replaced?

edit: its a socket 1150

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    use needle to straight the pins and patience
    i guess its worth to try

Kusimeka says thanks.
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well not sure if you guys have a store like Harbour Freight, I bought a precision tool kit with some small screw drivers, small picks and a illuminated magnifying glass kit for about $15US or so. I had to unbend several pins on a 1155 MB I bought used here on TPU a few years ago. The system booted fine, ran fine, loaded windows fine, but the MB would only recognize 2 out of my 4GB of memory at the time...channel 2 was not ID'd at all. Unbending the pins alleviated the issue and was actually fairly easy.

Good lighting, a steady hand, a small pick and a cheap magnifying glass and maybe a flashlight for extra "focused" light can make this project easier done than many may fear it is. That MB is still running great to this day! It was an Asus 55i Sabertooth.

:toast:

Note: Just don't bend too hard...it's more of a "flick" like bending...a light nudge until it's close to matching the orientation of the other pins. You don't want to break the small pin off....but being gold pins (I would assume), they should have some decent flexability to be bent back to original form. But the unexpected bend in the joint may cause failure in the future if you swap CPU's frequently. But YMMV. I have no doubts you can fix this issue yourself or let your friend do it and be there to see how easy it really is!

Kusimeka says thanks.
  4. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:
    A steady hand and some patience can fix that, so it's worth giving a try :). I've bent quite a few pins on a 1155 socket and successfully unbent them. Good luck with that!

Kusimeka says thanks.
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    One bent pin may or may not cause it to not boot. After you straightened it out test it not in the case with minimal stuff connected to see if is posts. If you have to replace it you will have to pay

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Motherboard manufacturers don't RMA for bent pins. Might as well try bending it back, but if your friend knows what he/she is doing, let them do it.

7. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    intel insurance cover this?!

I bent 1 on my 4100 I didn't want to snap it so I coaxed it into the socket and clamped it down, the thing is perfectly straight now.

this depends how bent it is tho, I wouldn't try getting it perfect by hand but enough for it to be seated. also bending it too often will weaken it and itll snap!

8. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Intel procs don't have pins on them anymore. Well not for a long while actually. The mobo has the pins and he bent one. They are a lot more fragile then the proc pins and a royal pain in the ass to straighten of one gets bent. Processor pins are alot tougher.

d1nky says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    My vision is not what it use to be. I literately have to use powerful glasses and two magnifying glasses to straighten Intel pins out

10. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    wow ive never had experience with intel platforms, sounds like a nightmare!

Kusimeka says thanks.
  11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    They are no problem unless your all thumbs

Kusimeka says thanks.
  12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Quite the opposite. The pins on the sockets are generally fine. Out of the several dozen intel boards from 775 on up to the current 1150 that have used this LGA arrangement, I have only had the one board with bent pins that caused any noticeable issues. You have a pinless CPU, you drop it in, it can only fit one way. Slide the clamp over, and install the cooler...it actually is very easy to work with and makes for speedy CPU changes.

Kusimeka and d1nky say thanks.
  13. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    The OP isn't asking for guilt or flak from users here, he's asking if there's a way to solve a problem he has. Here at TechPowerUP we pride ourselves in helping our peers without the need for making someone that made a mistake feel worse than they already do. Even if they did something wrong themselves, there's a good feeling when they can also fix it themselves too. Some folks need to learn the hard way that instructions may be necessary as well.

In this case, a few simple micro tools and a magnifying glass and in mere minutes this board could be fixed and operational again. We don't care how the pins got bent, we do care that they're intact enough to be bent back to as close to the original position for contact as possible.

You are right there's a small chance of a SINGLE pin being bent...and who knows it could be a factory issue and shipped that way, or maybe how the OP installed the CPU was just enough for that one single pin to move.

Welcome to TPU btw! :toast:

rtwjunkie, Frogger, Kusimeka and 6 others say thanks.
  14. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a lot for the help guys. I actually got a magnifying kit with a mechanical pencil and managed to 'flick' them back into place as suggested. Cant believe i actually managed to get this up and running fine. I expected to have a nightmare of a time sending it back etc, so happy right now!

Time to test this beast out :D

brandonwh64 and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  15. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Atleast it was not like this! There is no coming back for this socket cause its missing atleast 4 pins and most are bent the opposite way!

[​IMG]

Jetster says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Ouch man that's rough! That makes mine look like nothing. If any of mine were broken off i wouldn't even have attempted it, that seems way too complicated!

17. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:

Every time I see such damage to the pins I wonder what in the world was the person who did this trying to to there... Still, the socket is replaceable with the right tools and skill set.

18. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I've taken apart several old Dells and HPs with socket 775 and found 2 or 3 with a bent pin or two. The weird thing is that these machines were original and had never been apart since they were built, and obviously functioned for years in that condition. They were all boards that wouldn't display any video despite swapping all parts with known good ones. On one of them I managed to straighten the 1 bent pin, but still wouldn't output a video signal, so I assume it had blown caps or something.

19. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    His brother took half the water block off and after moving place to place before I went and picked it up the CPU ended up in the bottom of the case and the pins like they are now.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:
    It still kind of hurts to see such damage, people really need to be more careful.

21. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    hopefully one day MOBO and CPU are pinless to avoid such damages...

or better yet CPU will be inserted like PCI... and then a full water block....

like a GPU / GPU...

those images above are ouch really a damage...

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    Ah Nostalgia Intel slot 1 and slot 2 and AMD slot A

those were the days:roll:

23. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:

waaahaha... i just searched and damn your right... i think i didnt know much about computer that time.... :laugh: first cpu i touch was the p4 :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Here is a pic I took a couple of years ago of a board I bought used. This was after I straightened the pins The board still works today

[​IMG]

25. staiger New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also had a problem with 2 bent pins on an Asus motherboard. Long story short I argued that if I had dropped something then quite a few pins would be bent in, very much like the pictures in entry number 15. In my case the pins are bent away from the socket and therefor were not subject to any impact. I sent the board back to the online retailer along with the pictures below and within a few days a new motherboard appeared.

In any case I for one am fed up with them telling us what is and is not covered. In the UK we have certain rights; to expect that an item bought should be of good quality and fit for the purpose. The automatic assumption that we the end user must have caused the damage as opposed to the possibility that it slipped through their quality control must be challenged. Should this happen to me again I will be more than happy to see them in court.

Attached Files: