1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

bent some pins on cpu, is it toast or can it be repaired?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by freeboy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    well? if yes how
    fx 60 amd fyi

2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Bend them back, doesn't matter much. As long as they make the contact they should be making it's fine.

3. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    I have two big issues, I have this old cpu, great 939 fx 60 cannot seel till I test it. and the second is a scrrewy error in new desktop, .. thanks about the rebending.. I guess I was looking for advise on how to bend them.. they are relly small lol!!! after the rebending I will rebuild the 939 and test, that is a great chip, and selling hot now that it is dico, which is why I upgraded in the first place..!

4. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    stick a knife blade along the line of pins and it should, if your carefull, put them all in line.

5. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Tweezers, once they're semi straight force them in the socket.

6. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    ok, it seems to fit in the socket, is there a for sure test, as I want to seell this cpu and board, awesome duo, and would want to be sure they work..
    run which test program?
    it boots

7. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Well if it goes into the socket you should be fine. When you pull the lever down it clamps the pins into place. So just fit the HSF, and boot up.

8. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    the A+ tool to use is a 0.5 mechanical pencil.

9. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    well, its in the mobo, and hopefully the pins are where they should be, It will boot , as this is a secondary sys have not tested it, its actually in a box, should get it out and run some tests, has memory and a ps is non issue, extra vid card too.. so I should fire that bad boy up.. thanks all.

10. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    just bend them back with a butterknife

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    lol, ktr gets bonus points for creativity

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    a friend a year ago bent a lot of pins on a p4 northwood, and after a entire afternoon bending them all back, and after making sure the cpu was inserted correctly, it didn't work, the cpu died :(

13. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    or a leather needle - I'll tell ya, with a friggin LGA775 socket, that leather needle has been a life saver a couple of times (once on my rig, and a few times fixing outher peoples f-ups).

Trying to gently align the 775 pins, though, is a time consuming process . . . thanks, Intel! :banghead:

14. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to know is it actually possible to remove a CPU Heatsink out of a mobo without ripping the CPU chip out of its socket and bending all of its threads? (I've been unsuccessful everytime and i need to upgrade my PC's heatsink and fear bending my AM2 chip...)

15. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    generally, the CPU cooler comes off relatively easy. Make sure all the retention mechanisms are loose (unlock tabs, loosen screws, etc), then grasp the cooler and gently turn it clockwise and then counter clockwise while very gently pulling it towards you. Once the vacuum made by the TIM loosens, it'll come right off. Think of it similar to if you put a small coin down, then put a drop of water on the coin, and then press down on the coin with a flat-bottom glass . . . when you lift the glass, it holds onto the coin.

But, if you don't break that vacuum on it, you could damge either the CPU or motherboard.

BTW, if it won't turn, even with a bit of effort, it might be held in place with thermal expoxy.

Skrabrug says thanks.
  16. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    the AM2 mounting was very confusing to me. Apparantly from watching the AMD videos, you're supposed to use a screwdriver and push down on the side of the lever thingy that will take a screwdriver... and they make it look so easy.

I realized my motherboard is already somehow bent slightly, and I was far too afaraid to use the (in computer sense) hulk-like force needed. When uninstalling the stock cooler, I thought you had to pull that lever thing way back... and luckily ALMOST (didn't end up) slicing one of the plastic mounting things all the way through with the lever cooler.

What I ended up doing was actually removing the mounting... plastic thing from the motherboard. The stock mounting, uh, thing just easily un-screws off of the motherboard, there's nothing as far as I can tell behind the motherboard that's a part of the mounting thing, it just screwed off, I heard a popping sound (the contact between the hsf and cpu breaking), and the cooler was still latched on the mounting thing, the cpu still in the motherboard pretty much happy. I then easily got the cooler off of the mounting bracked (now in my hands with 360* of work space), screwed the mounting thing back on, installed the freezer (was kind of hard, but that's due to my case's design, there's a big piece of metal in the way that's part of the 5.25 bays that goes all the way to the back of the case and screws in)..... all's fine now

p.s. (and congrats for getting this far) how do the LGA pins get bent? they don't plug into anything, and they're kind of imbedded in the motherboard... kind of like a lake of pins below PCB level :p

Skrabrug says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah the screwdriver thing i don't have issues with because it has a little leaver system instead :p

i\\I might try twisting it next time but i have used a thermal paste last time because i didn't know how long it would take me o pay off my bills so i could afford a new CPU heat sink xD

18. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Well it is an A+ Certified Technician knowledge...

19. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: - real easy, man! real easy!

I don't know if you've ever seen a LGA socket up close yet (this pic is the closest I could find):

[​IMG]

you can see with the retention plate open, all the teeny, tiny little hair pins - granted, there are notches on the side of the socket to align the CPU, but if you don't place the CPU onto the pins squarely (meaning as straight up and down as possible), you can easily bend one of them little buggers out of array. The only time I've ever had an issue with mine, the CPU slipped off the edge of my finger as I was re-installing, and the proc landed at an angle towards the lower right corner of the socket. It took me 45min of carefully lining the pins back up with a leather needle, and they're extremelly fragile, too. Even with using the slightest amount of pressure to move them, I was afraid of breaking one.

Oh, and if you don't have the CPU squarely aligned in the socket when you latch down the retention plate - kiss the socket goodbye.

BTW - working around that many small pins will play havoc with your eyes, especially with light shining on them, the pins and shadows start looking funny and it throws off your depth perception. You can kinda see that effect in the picture.

Again - thanks a lot, Intel! :banghead:

20. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    That sucks.

BTW - that capacitor is in a pretty shitty place.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Must be M-ATX..

22. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    which one? If you mean the one that looks like it's in the way of the retention plate opening all the way - naw, the plate is all the way up. It only opens to just past 90* (brilliant design, Intel, really!! :banghead:) - none of the others would interfere with the CPU cooler at all, either.

I'll be honest, though . . . as higher of a chance to screw up an LGA socket there is - the LGA775 design has lasted through more CPU families than most sockets do. It was ushered in with the Pentium 4 processors, and Intel's current bad-ass procs are 775. The problem, recently, has been with the motherboard manufacturers trying to extend support to new CPUs on the socket.

23. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    No, the one like 1cm away from one of the holes...

M-ATX with a black pcb? never seen it... as far as I know

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Everything on it is scrunched up its gotta be M-ATX, trust me I have one lol

25. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    It might be mATX; could also be standard ATX, too. I'd guess that it's an ASUS mobo in that pic, and ASUS love to cram a ton of crap around the CPU socket, no matter the form factor.

doesn't really matter too much, I guess . . .