1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best 2560x1600 Monitor for Gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DanishDevil, Aug 16, 2011.

1. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I've tried to do some research, and what I'm coming up with looks like the Dell U3011, and the HP ZR30w. Gaming is what I primarily use my desktop for, and will be playing everything from Starcraft 2 to Diablo 3 and Battlefield 3. I have been a competitive gamer in the past, and performance is paramount. I can definitely sense a lag under 60FPS, so input lag may be a crucial factor in determining the best choice.

Thank you in advance for your expertise, TPU! :toast:

Side note: is the 27" Dell's 2560x1440 compatible with most games? I'm assuming x1600 is compatible with every current title.

P.S.: Will be driving this with an ASUS GTX 570 Direct CU II, and may upgrade to a 580 or better if needed.
    Completely Bonkers says thanks.
  2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    The resolution or ratio of the monitor doesn't affect gaming compatibility. Personally, I prefer a 16:10 ratio monitor.

What is important, is the input lag and response time. This is where cheaper TN displays win hands down for gaming.
  3. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I already know I want a bump in resolution from my 1920x1200 monitor, and I don't want to spend $400 on a monitor with the same resolution. Go big or go home! Many people rave about IPS displays vs. TN panels, so I'm going to give IPS a shot. I've pretty much already decided on that much.
  4. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Generally speaking, IPS panels have a lot more input lag than TN Panels.
  5. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    what exactly is this input lag? is it same as response time?
  6. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    Input lag is difference between the time a signal is input into a display and the time it is shown by the display. Response time is the time that takes for pixel to change state, and than goes back again.On larger moniotrs is usaly higher input lag. On my Dell U2311h eIPS is very, very low. There are some 2ms response time TN monitors that are slower then my 8ms IPS...
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm
    Anusha says thanks.
  7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    IPS does indeed have a much improved picture, but as you want a monitor specifically for gaming, you might regret it, as the input lag and motion smear is much worse on these. I strongly suggest you buy it online so that you can return it if you don't like it.
  8. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there actually anything wrong with your current monitor other than it is old and you want a new one?

This may be obvious, but by upping your resolution (from an already very high resolution), I would wager that you will have real trouble maintaining a maxed out 60FPS in games such as BF3 when they come out, unless you wanted to to do a Crossfire/SLI on the top line of the next generation GPU's when they come (another £600 / $1000).

But seeing some guy whine about his 1920x1200 monitor not being crisp enough just makes me think of starving brown people in Africa, and how much importance they would place on this purchase.
  9. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Guys, please. I turned to TPU for high-end expertise. You're making me feel like I should go post this as XS. If anybody mentions a TN panel again, I'm just going to ignore the thread. I also don't want to hear about starving kids in Africa, or graphics cards. Look at my post count. If I need more GPU power I'll get some.

IF I AM GOING TO BUY A 2560x1600 IPS PANEL, which is the best for gaming (has the lowest input lag)?
    Completely Bonkers, n-ster and Jizzler say thanks.
  10. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm afraid I don't know a specific model good for input lag and checking out reviews is always a good idea.

Also, it's not one forum or another. I see nothing wrong with posting the same question to three or four forums. The more places you post your question, the more likely you're to get different viewpoints and great answers. :)

Finally the advice I gave before still stands:

LordJummy says thanks.
  11. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
  12. monitorgeek New Member

Thanks Received:
    I Agree with him. Because my LG IPS monitor (http://www.lg.com/uk/it-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W3000H.jsp)shows excellent performance when I playing Starcraft2 at highest video quailty. It has 5ms response time so it is better than dell.
  13. Gallus New Member

Thanks Received:
    TN panels are much better for gaming then IPS. IPS, Beside feeling slightly sluggish when compared side by side with TN panels, they show ghosting a lot more then i'd ever be happy with.

the TN 3D monitors in 2D mode do ghost-free gaming at 120+ FPS with vsync on(many with crisp 2ms response timings). Plus have the added bonus of 3D capability if you ever want to mess around with that, all for around the same price or less.

I was in the market for a IPS panel for a long time because so many people rave about the way they look. Honestly their screen quality isn't THAT much better then the TNs, but when you see the image smearing and semi-slow response time combined with their price and it's completely apparent that IPS panels are for professional applications, NOT GAMING.

If you're a gamer, get a TN.
  14. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have 3 Dell U3011's in Eyefinity. The only thing I would ever trade them for is one of these.
  15. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I am as frustrated as you are when I see people getting answers that don't address the questions they asked in the way they requested. However, sometimes those answers really are appropriate and this is one of those cases. The reason you've seen people talk up IPS is that IPS panels can offer superb image quality (color fidelity, gamut, etc.). However they generally do so at the sacrifice of input lag. TN panels, on the other hand, typically can perform more responsively at the sacrifice of image quality (as well as viewing angle). So IPS panels may be fantastic but you have to ask yourself "for what?" And the answer, generally speaking, is graphics design, photo editing, and other things of that nature.

Input lag is no joke. On my Samsung 275T (which is S-PVA, different from IPS or TN), input lag is so bad that if you try to play a fast-paced twitch game on it, you may well end up feeling nauseous from the delay between when you move your mouse and when your character moves. It's like playing drunk. The 275T's image quality is awesome and man do games every look beautiful on it—but using it for anything like multiplayer CoD4 = getting your ass kicked. It's just not meant for that.

If you posted on an automotive forum asking whether you should buy a Lamborghini or a Ferrari for hauling firewood, I'd hope someone would help you to see that neither is really appropriate. Likewise, you may benefit from considering non-IPS displays.
    Jack Doph, digibucc and qubit say thanks.
  16. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Hey Danish, TN panel, TN panel, TN panel!! Also did you hear about the kids in Africa starving yet? And you really really need about a dozen or more new graphics cards............

Ah man J/K:roll::roll::roll:

One thing that I am pretty sure of is that the Dell monitors are some awesome units man. As I believe Qubit stated, be sure to purchase online and new in case you find that it is not your cup of tea. At least you can always send it back within 30 days or so.

Good luck my friend:toast::toast::toast:
    qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  17. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've used CRT, TN panels and IPS.

To be honest I never noticed any ghosting or input lag with my IPS. And the color fidelity and viewing angles are as good as a CRT.
  18. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I would have thought with his post count he would have recognized this.

what you are basically saying Danish is give me your advice, but only if it aligns with what i want to hear.
  19. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Excellent post, especially the bold bit, is so true. :)

Yup, the power of distance selling is awesome for this, lol.

BP & Danish, I can't stress enough how important lag is for fast games. Lag makes you stagger around like a drunk and ruins the experience for fast games. I recently bought a great 120Hz TN monitor for little money which has almost zero lag and reviewed it here, so you may want to consider that.
    Black Panther and digibucc say thanks.
  20. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Qubit, probably you're right. The 'fastest' game I played on this monitor was Fallout NV :eek:. I assume by fast games you mean shooters... The Dirt series play ok here, but that's not a FPS.
    qubit says thanks.
  21. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    I use the HP LP3065

I know it has less input lag because it has no scaling chip onboard. The one I have seems to not have as uniform a backlight as I would like. The bottom right area is a bit brighter and the viewing angle is a little tougher to work with especially compared to my 42" HDTV but from straight on it really is an awesome gaming monitor. Maybe a used one at a discounted price would be worth it. Anyhow with its accurate fleshtones it is wonderful for watching instructional videos. ;)
  22. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    This is why I ask few questions here or elsewhere ;)

If I'm asking between these two cars for this particular purpose it's because it's the last determining factor that I can I use to decide between them as they both meet my 200 other requirements for a vehicle.
  23. qubit

Thanks Received:
    That must mean that non-native resolutions must show up nice and sharp with 1:1 mapping and simply look smaller than native? This is the way all LCD monitors should be by default.
  24. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    That is correct

Just set the GPU settings accordingly. :toast:
  25. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    +1. I always set up using GPU scaling and centered timings to get that. :) though in very low resolutions (800x600, 640x480) the image is so small as a 5" screen here lol
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
    qubit says thanks.