1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best air cooler for LGA 1155 without backplate.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by MaxAwesome, May 4, 2014.

1. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

Currently, my 2600k is being cooled by Cooler Master TX3 with double fans. It's a nice little cooler, but with it I can only OC until around 4.6ghz, beyond that the temps completely overwhelm the cooler and the CPU starts to throttle.

I'm looking for a new CPU cooler, that can help me reach 5ghz.

Preferably, no backplate. I really don't want to go through the hassle of removing the motherboard to mount it :D
  2. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    there arent any good ones that don't have a backplate, backplate is necessary to get a tight enough connection.

Next time you remove the motherboard, cut a whole in the back panel so you can change coolers without removing the board in the future.
    MaxAwesome says thanks.
  3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Just use a backplate. Doesnt take very much time to disconnect a few cables and unscrew a few screws.

All the worthwhile coolers have backplates.
    MaxAwesome says thanks.
  4. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys, I see that using a backplate is the way to go :)

Still, could anyone point me to a few coolers that don't need a backplate so I can research them to see if they're better than my TX3?

I really don't know what to look for, because I haven't researched coolers ever since I bought my 2600k in 2011.
  5. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    To reach your OC goals you'll need a better cooler which means backplate...that or get a 92mm sized cooler that can accept dual fans. I don't think you can bet the TX3.

I highly recommend looking at the Noctua U14S...mine has been a pleasure to work with, super easy. Why not take your mainboard out, and mod your case so you can install and remove coolers without removing the MB? Wouldn't take long if you had access to a dremel, some masking tape and maybe a hole saw.

Honestly if you want to reach your OC goals, you need a good cooler to do the job. Maybe go with one of the All in One water cooling kits? But I think most of those need backplates too don't they? I know the smaller ones I've dealt with don't. That might be the next route for you to go if you really don't want to be hassled with removing your mainboard.

:toast:
    MaxAwesome says thanks.
  7. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
  8. legion1capone

legion1capone

Thanks Received:
    My choices always come back to the Noctua NH-D15 or the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3.
  9. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Perhaps try out Scythe Katana 4 which makes use of push pins (no backplate!). Techpowerup has a review of this cooler and it scores pretty well: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Scythe/Katana4/9.html

According to the test it performs very similar Cooler Master's Hyper 212 Evo.
    Z77 says thanks.
  10. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    The problem is mass. More metal is needed for big performance gains which makes coolers too heavy for push pins.
  11. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps a CoolerMaster Hyper 212X/Evo in push-pull configuration? Although, 5GHz seems quite an ask for an air cooler...