1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best AMD motherboard possible

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Aleksander, Feb 13, 2010.

?

Which is the best amd motherboard?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2010.
  1. GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. ASUS Crosshair III Formula

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. ASUS M4A79T Deluxe

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. ASUS M4A78T-E

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. MSI 790FX-GD70

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys!
    I wanted to ask you which is the best amd mobo till now
    THX :D
  2. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't foresee this question going very far. Although, if it moves from its current position it would be from a poll added within this thread.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Nvidia Nf4 was very good.
  4. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    In fact i dont want to open a poll if none suggest some mobos
  5. Paintface

Paintface New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    rated IMO best to less best on air/water cooling!

1. GB 790FX UD5 bust for overall clock http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128415&Tpk=gigabyte 790fx
    2. Asus Crosshair III best for ram/bus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131392
    3. Asus M4A79T good overall http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131363
    4. Asus M4A78T-E robust little beast good overall http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366
    5. MSI GD70 good for ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130223&Tpk=MSI GD70

remember i am asus biased a bit but IMO they have the best ram/NB clocks but the GB board pulls off a better overall clock/speed. MSI is good for show but it really can only do ram and sucks when its cold
    Kei says thanks.
  9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    i really liked my M4A79T-deluxe board cause it had TONS of options
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    As much as i know asus crosshair is the best
    It is the most priced of all mobos suggested in the poll
  11. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    i have the m4a79t deluxe and absolutetly love it! the features are numorous, and the board layout is pretty nice. However if you are focused on overclocking i would go with a crosshair III. Mainly because it has Load line calibration which is almost nessesary in achieving high level overclocks vs other boards... My m4a79t shows an almost .04 difference in load and idle voltages with is rediculous at times... so in order to hit 4.0ghz i needed 1.58 just so when it loaded it would be at 1.535...
    Kei says thanks.
  12. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    I agree with the list cdawall put up especially regarding the ASUS boards.

As for what exodus found without having loadline calibration I totally agree that it's best to have it for highest clocks. I found the same situation on my M4A78T-E (the little amazing gx board cdawall was talking about) when at the higher voltage levels and clocks. If the voltage was up to the 1.5 to 1.55v level it would suffer from voltage droop issues. It wasn't quite as bad as what exodus had to deal with on his board, but it was still something you had to pay attention to in order to be stable.

Kei
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    cdawall says thanks.
  13. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Now that i see the crosshair formula, it is made of tantalium phases!
    That means that the cost of that mobo is really rediculous cuz that makes it much more pricier to produce and the tantalium phases are made by a rare element which makes the mobo overclock like a beast. A question remains unrevealed: why does it cost cheap?
  14. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:

*cough* cdawall's list *cough*

M4A78T-E had lite vdroop and kept strong at 1.7v when i put mine on cold

its a 4+1 phase board like all the others on my list the just use 2 phases for each phase making it look like an 8+2 phase board when its wired to be a 4+1
    Kei says thanks.
  15. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    :roll: I'm SO sorry wall hahahahaha, I was looking at more than one thing at a time and typed rocker instead of you. :banghead:

When I had my wounded M4A78T-E it had a little droop, but that could be because of the wounded status it came to me with. I really did want to pick up another one of those, but when I returned that board they were out of stock thus I ended up testing out this Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P which is actually pretty great!

Doesn't achieve the same greatness level in regards to lowest volts need for cpu stock (1.168v ASUS around 1.20-1.23v on this board), but it does achieve 4Ghz @ 1.488v (1.440v runs great, but doesn't pass full stablity test). This board clocks the ram great for max speed, however doesn't achieve the same low timings the ASUS board achieved which is more important to me. Also the northbridge clocking was significantly superior on the ASUS in comparison to the Gigabyte.

The ASUS board also had a fairly robust bios even though it wasn't the full FX board which usually seems to have more options.

Kei
    cdawall says thanks.
  16. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    As you got the "PROFESSOR TITLE" cdwall, can you explain us what are these things here? :slap:
    [​IMG]
    Who cant open the image check the url out :)
    http://yfrog.com/jd36318398p
  17. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    its cool and your wounded board may have had issues because it was wounded...it holds the records for some of the lowest voltage clocks even by reviewers :D and glad to see you noticed NB clocked way the hell better

here is your pic first off

[​IMG]

regardless its still only a 4+1 phase design as that is the design for 790FX by AMD. 8 chokes for the cpu and 2 chokes for the chipset ie the 10 chokes you circled now the one by itself actually IIRC is for the ram or SB i honestly can't remember offhand. funny thing is the M4A78T-E carries 8+1 phases which is again a 4+1 design 8 chokes for the cpu and 1 choke for the chipset

[​IMG]

M4A79T carries 8+2 ie 4+1 with 10 chokes

[​IMG]

so does the GB 790FXTA

[​IMG]

if you want more proof look into the AMD white papers on the chipset reference design. trust me i have had this board longer than you have been on these forums by multiple months

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227801

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227925

[​IMG]

and this is for anyone who doubts the M4A78T-E

[​IMG]
    TotalChaos and Kei say thanks.
  18. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Wow man you really earned the title "PROFESSOR" :D
    Anyway the crosshair is the best. Can you explain why it overclocks better than other boards, i mean what did the asus team add to this board visible in the mobo pcb
  19. Hunt3r

Hunt3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Today I did not like the crosshair III formula..
  20. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Please don't misunderstand what I was trying to say.........that board EVEN WOUNDED was an epic motherboard!!! I cried like a baby over at the Phenom II thread when I knew I had to return the board, because it was just too good to be true! The only reason why I haven't went back to the store to purchase another one after the initial out of stock issue was because I'm trying (very very very very very very very very hard....and failing) to wait a little longer to see what the 890 series boards are going to be pricewise. I'm still likely going to buy the GX model because I at no point will be using any more than 2 video cards if even that. I've finally seen good pictures of the official board (though maybe some NDA was broken to make that happen), and I'm loving how it looks.

All I have to do now is somehow wait to see the prices on the boards so I can make a decision on what I'm going to do. Even then, I'm still not sure what I'll do since the price on that M4A78T-E is just too low to ignore for such an amazing board! :banghead:

Btw, thanks for the lesson about the power setups on these boards. I didn't realize that, so I (like many others) let that be part of my decision making process when shopping for boards. :toast:

How do you feel about 8pin vs 4pin connectors any further thruths to share with us?

Kei
  21. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    the dual 16x is part of it and other than that its a "simpler" board which means less tra ces etc. and that means cleaner power cleaner clocks etc.

never had an issue 8 vs 4 phenom honestly don't pull enough to suffice an 8 pin but thats were the market went so bandwagon up everyone.

as far as BIOS's go the M4A series has a better worked out BIOS than the CH3 as they are older and have grown more than the CH3 has. that board used to not clock ram at all so its made leaps and bounds to were it is now
    Kei says thanks.
  22. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, they are all good boards. The best overall, I would go with Gigabyte if I was being unbias. I have seen benchmarks and such about these boards and MSi gets a lot of flack for no reason.

Overall Performance IMO: Gigabyte UD5 > Formula III > MSi GD70 > Others.
  23. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Ahahaha well it was specifically designed in the program named "PAINT" :laugh:
  24. Hunt3r

Hunt3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is very strange .. do not you think
  25. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    It is abstract art my friend :)
    I will name it Crosshair III paint formula :D :D :D