1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best available TV now or in the next 2 month

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zanat0s, May 24, 2010.

1. zanat0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I am planning to get a new TV now(well all the new models are released due to the WC- World Cup) and though i ask you, the guys i respect.

i love this forum and its advices. I am thinking of getting a new TV which will preferably have

1:) size over 52 inches
    2:) Full LED
    3:) 3D ready

until now in my country there is only one model which has all the characteristics

LG's LX9500

I have not found any reviews(yet) and i do not know how good it is since LG is known for Cheap products

Now the other models i am thinking of are

SONY's LX903(or LX900 depending on the country you are at)

Sony has an ambivalent fame when it comes to TVs but i am positively towards its sets.

The problem with this set is that it is not FULL LED, but EDGE led(leds on the edge isntead of behind the picture)

The third set i have set my eyes on is

the Samsung series 8

This one is the easiest to acquire and the chepeast one. It has no Full Led(like Sony). Compared to the SONY one i do not know which one has the best performance.

i would like to ask people for their opinion or their guidance. if you know a good(european) forum where i can go to get information do let me know.
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    I myself like Samsung
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    55 cm is round about 22" for anyone who has better suggestions
    Why full LED? I think a normal florescent backlighting is good enough. My friend has the LG 37LH3000 with normal backlighting and the light does not leak as much.
    3D? I think 3D technology have not matured sufficiently enough for us to care about buying it yet.

LG makes quality products, they are not a cheapo company IMHO.

Just my thoughts ;)
    zanat0s says thanks.
  4. zanat0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ Fourstaff

i was talking inches... unfortunately we use inches to count TV sizes even in Europe...

Normal backlight is not as strong as LED and also it wastes more energy. I aggree with your poin on getting a 3D TV but my counter arguement is that since i am buying one now why not to adopt the TV.

to be fair i have a schedule of getting a TV every 3 years. I think the time now is ripe. Of course if i am waiting for technologies to mature then i would never upgrade

LED has matured though and 3D is functional. So i am sold :)

I will go tomorrow at the store to check the LG offer.
  5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, you mean 55 inches rather than 55cm? :S

Change this:
    to this: 1: Size over 55"

Well, after spending your hard earned money on a 3D Tv, you still have to buy expensive glasses to let other members of your family to enjoy 3D football. That's one of the reasons which puts me off. Another is that the glasses is not universal, you cannot use it for other 3D TV sets.
  6. zanat0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope,

you are wrong. There are 2 kind of 3D Tvs. the active ones and the ones who require a transmitter.. Unless i am wrong!

as for the size it was a typo.
  7. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    Actually you will always require some type of glasses for a 3D tv (as long as there is only one source screen and not two that are separated that you have to look at slightly crossed eyed so the two images converge into one image thus giving you the stereoscopic effect required for 3D). There are different implementations of 3D tv's that have different requirements for the eye glasses (active or passive) in that they will either completely blank out the view of one eye at a time while updating the display or they will be passive and simply have different polarization angles for each lense in the glasses. One big reason why I doubt I'll ever get into the 3D gimick... I don't even like to watch the 3D movies in the theaters.... they just suck.
  8. zanat0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i am thinking games in 3D!

as for mvoies... yeah i concur..not worth it. but i have used Nvidia Nvision and i dig it
  9. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    I could see putting up with the glasses for gaming. I'd actually love to give it a try as I'm sure it greatly changes the feel of the game.