1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best Backup Utility?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by x-anubis-x, Oct 8, 2011.

1. x-anubis-x New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for free backup software? Basically I have an external hdd that I would like to always keep up-to-date with whatever is on my computers hdd without having to consciously sync specific folders. Thanks for any help!

2. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    the windows 7 back up is pree good you can even program it to add new files at at a programmed time

3. x-anubis-x New Member

Thanks Received:
    i didnt even know windows had a backup utility lol. ill check it out, thanks!

4. twilyth Guest

Cobian is the best I've found so far. It's better than Acronis, doesn't bog down my response times, has a better interface, backs up to remote servers (ftp), and has better functionality.

I run windows backup for system image. Acronis for a backup sys img. And Cobian for everything else (since it doesn't do system imgs - at least not the free version.)

5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Acronis and it's free to WD owners and it's simple to use. Not failed on me yet

6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I use a batch file that formats the target drive then copies everything to it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Fog Server if you have several machines at home.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    EASEUS Todo Backup 3.0 Free. If you need partition or disk based backup and restoration, this utility is THE boss. Really powerful backup system with option to create bootable USB or CD/DVD which can then recover data back from the existing backup. I used to use PING before but this one is even better and much more flexible. Pair it with EASEUS Partition Master Free and PartedMagic Bootable and you have one hell of a disk maangement combo. For cost of 0 EUR. Can't get much better than this...

9. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    System image based: Cobian or Acronis. File archiving and compression, take your choice WINRAR or 7zip.

10. jamesmartin86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My hard drive crashed and I lost all my family photos and precious data. Thankfully I had my computer backed up online with myPCBackup and I was able to quickly recover everything.

11. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    I use Free File Synch, which although sounds gimmicky, is really really good. It automatically detects changes to files and updates only those ignoring the files which haven't been updated and saving precious cycles on your flash drives.

Oh and it's free :D