1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best Buy and PC hardware.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CDdude55, Aug 13, 2009.

?

Best Buy or Newegg

1. Best Buy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Newegg

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Sooner or later i am going to get a new video card and surprisingly i was thinking about going to Best buy since i don't have to pay shipping and i don't have to to worry about anything going wrong(like when my bro ordered from Newegg and it said it was delivered but he didn't get it, we ended up having to go to the front office to get it). Only problem is that Best buy is more expensive and they don't have much to any options while Newegg has tons but takes longer. Also the front door to my apartment complex locks from the outside(you can only open it if you have a key when your outside), which i belive was the reason he left it at the front office, but i don't want to have my money wasted due to it getting lost or he gets confused on where to place it.

Should i just go Newegg?
  2. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Do you have any local pc hardware shops near by? They would have better prices than best buy. But also if you buy at the right time best buy prices can be ok.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I'd go Newegg, but it doesn't hurt to go to BB and see if they have any cards on clearance or whatnot. I got a great deal on a Sony DVDRW years ago from BB when I stopped in to pickup a gift.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Just go newegg. The price difference is extreme enough to warrant the hassles.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Newegg for sure i've been buying stuff of them for over 5 1/2 years and always been top notch.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  6. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    etailer trumps retailer everytime ;)
    why? retailer got old cards, etailers got latest
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  7. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    The Best Buy use to be a CompUSA actually, until they went out of business.
  8. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Guess i shall take the risk and order from Newegg(i used to always order from them but with the new place it can be a hassle). There prices and variety are worth the risk.

Edit: But if i see a decently priced card at BB, i shall get it.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  9. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    You can also have your package shipped to your local UPS store and then just go and pick it up from their. Would probably give you a little more peace of mind.

Not sure if it costs anything to do that though.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  10. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    BB is having a $99 sale on the HD4850 (VisionTek)
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I've yet to have an issue with Newegg and shipping...been amazing for the years I've used it. If you find a good deal at BB then go for it man, then at least you have a local return policy...Newegg's is good, but waiting for shipping can be a pain in the ass if you don't have a backup piece of hardware to get by on.

You could always consider going used from a fellow, trusted (good heat) tpu member too...that is if warranty isn't important and it's a damn good deal, depending on what you get. TBH, the only PC related stuff I've ever gotten from BB were some logitech and plantronics headsets...oh and my logitech g5 mouse...it was on sale for the same price as newegg at the time, was worth the trip.

:toast:
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  12. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  13. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    When i get some cash i'll see what BB has.
  14. kg4icg

kg4icg

Thanks Received:
    Where in Virginia are you at? Because Microcenter is in fairfax off of rte 29 and Nutley in Vienna.
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    My appartment complex is setup the same as yours, but my UPS guy has a key... :)
    CDdude55 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Im in Alexandria.
  17. kg4icg

kg4icg

Thanks Received:
    Take the Beltway to I66 west. get off of Nutley Street which will be the 2nd ramp to Fairfax. Cross over Rte29 to Pan Am Shopping Ctr. You will see Microcenter sitting next to Micheals. Don't even think about going to Best Buy. Microcenter is the place that has the specials on the I7-920 for 199 sometimes in which there everyday price is 229. They have a good Video card selection. Take your pick http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sortby=pricehigh&web_group=byopc_video the stock numbers are for that paticular store
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  18. AKlass New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been to that microcenter in Fairfax and got a laptop their extremely satisfied with microcenter =) Their prices are reasonable but they don't seem to keep up to date much since some old cards are expensive as hell even though they're old. I usually shop at the microcenter in Rockville though
  19. chuck216

chuck216

Thanks Received:
    Another option is if there is a CompUSA near you. You can place an orrder on the website and pick it up at your local store. prices on most things are competitive with Newegg.
  20. AKlass New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats because compusa is owned by tiger direct now. Also the only compusa near me is now a microcenter
  21. Gjohnst4

Gjohnst4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it obviously comes down to price. My local Best Buy had a clearance on 9800 GT 1 GB cards the other week and were selling them for 89.99 Thats a much better price then even newegg, but it lasted only two days. So, try to get lucky? Otherwise newegg is much more consistent.
    Jeffredo and CDdude55 say thanks.
  22. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    That's the odd thing about Best Buy - there is some variance between different stores and the price seen online or in print. I've seen some great deals at BB, but it wasn't anything beyond my immediate area.
  23. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, i saw BB having a sale on VisionTek as well for a 4850 model. Not bad...
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  24. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    So i went to Best Buy and wow, the cards are actually nicely priced.

There was a PNY GTX 260 Core 216 for $175.99 and a 4850 for $169.99. When i get some cash i may buy there.
  25. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    I can beat both of those by at least $25-50 without even trying hard at online retailers. I haven't bought a video card (or any PC component save for power supply) at a brick and mortar store since 2005. I've saved myself hundreds by doing so. I can usually find a free shipping option if I'm patient and if I ordered from places not headquartered in my home state I don't pay sales tax. Best Buy can't touch that. And I've never had an issues in all my tinkering with PCs when an item I ordered didn't arrive or when an e-tailer gave me a problem about sending something back.