1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best CPU air cooler?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by demonbrawn, Mar 19, 2007.

1. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looking to go back to air cooling. I liked my watercooling, but it's become a huge hassle. Not to mention this stuff weighs a TON and I have to move my PC around a lot. I've done some research into the latest air coolers but I want everyone's opinion into which air cooler is the best. If possible, I'm looking for one that is compatible with both the 939 and AM2 sockets b/c I think I'm upgrading my CPU in the near future, but I need a 939 cooler, well, this week actually. Thanks in advance for the input.

2. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    thermalright ultra 120 :)

3. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940/AM2), easy to install and its cheap £16-18 in the uk, and $29 at newegg.com, its pretty lightweight too.:)

4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64 and it does an awesome job, but I'm thinking of getting a Thermalright Ultra 120 as I've heard very good things about it.

5. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    By how much does the Ultra 120 outperform the ACFPro64?

6. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Scythe Infinity....The Ultra 120 is nice too

7. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, neighbor! I have an extra AC Freezer 64 you could have for $15 if you want it. And since you live close, you could pick it up or we could meet. It's a nice cooler. Just let me know!

8. jcGriff New Member

Thanks Received:
    I notice you have an ASUS board. I have been really pleased with the performance of ASUS's new air cooler: ASUS Silent Square. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835101002

It's much bigger than it looks, it looks great with an Asus board, and the cooling is within a couple of degrees of the Corsair Cool Water system I left behind not long ago for the same reasons you stated. Good Luck!

9. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, my board is nice. I wish I had the extra money to do X1950 CrossFire on it! With the CrossFire Express 3200, it would be awesome...

10. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I recommend any of these following coolers: Thermaltake Big Typhoon and Typhoon Mini; Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman CNPS 9700, Scythe (any of their three top ones), and the Thermalright 120. You cant go wrong with either of these. Now, Ive also read good things on the Tuniq Tower and some folks here actually use them and love them. Hope this helps you out.

BTW, the TT BT is huge and probably the best aircooler Ive messed with (and yes, Ive tried them all) but as I Said, its huge and heavy. I have it now on my sis' cpu an Athlon 3800+ and it doesnt ever get above 47C. Its slightly OC'd to 2250 mhz from 2000, but its quiet. You can also change the fans on them too :)

11. Khriez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Other than the Zalman 9700 which requires you to remove that plastic slot thing that holds the HSF from the motherboard, which one of those coolers are easier to install?

I had a bad experience with an XFX GeForce 7600GT the stock fan was horible. It was 60 degrees C on idle and went up to 72 degrees C on load. I planned to buy a Zalman VGA cooler and I "practiced" removing the fan and hs on it but I think I broke it. I got so pissed after that....

12. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    I second that, it's at the pinnacle of the air-cooling tree at the moment.

13. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    The Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64 is incredibly easy to fit. You don't need to remove the motherboard.

As for the 7600GT, I have one (XFX XXX edition - overclocked) and mine idles at 42'C and goes up to 55'C at load...so I have no idea why yours was so hot....

14. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Scythe Infinity also has a very easy mounting system...
    Without removing the mobo.

15. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's cool. Yeah, as far as video cards go, they can be a hassle. The stock coolers have such tiny screws and I bought an X850 CF edition card and my screwdriver slipped from one of those tiny screws and I broke it... sad day.

16. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  17. Khriez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh crap. Let me rephrase my entire post.

I had a bad experience 1-2 years ago with an XFX geforce 6600GT. I was planning on getting a zalman VGA cooler on it. I think I broke the card while attempting to remove the plastic pins. Those plastic pins.....HOLY **** what a bitch!!

[​IMG]

18. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Oh right lol. I did wonder because the cooler on the 7600GT is incredibly easy to remove, I've done it before to replace the thermal paste.