1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best CPU cooler around £40

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by El_Mayo, Sep 2, 2014.

1. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to decide between 3 coolers atm. It's a toss up between two heatsinks and a refurbished AIO.

The heatsinks are the Dark Rock 3 and Scythe Ashura and the refurbished AIO is a manufacturer refurbished Corsair H100. I think the H100 could be really good if I replaced the fans for the price. It's to cool an i7-4790K that I'll be trying to overclock

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Those are all darn close neck and neck for performance, though the H100 isn't listed. I assume it's close to the H110?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/Dark_Rock_Pro3/8.html

I bought a very lightly used Scythe Ashura recently to replace an CM Evo 212, but I have yet to install it. It's big... so big that I have to orient it 90 degrees from standard configuration in the second PC case I have (Rosewill Challenger). I'm only concerned about memory clearance now.

The H100 will be more of a hassle to mount if that's one of your considerations. That and just more parts to fail.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  3. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    thats a pretty good price on that H100!

4. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    it's refurbished by corsair you see ;D

The H110 has a thicker rad and better fans I believe. A H100 with two after market fans could perform really nicely though, with the right fans just as quiet as the dark rock

5. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    H100 is pretty rockin in all honesty if you don't mind AIO's. Friend runs one on a 4770k (Stock fans) and he has it clocked at 4.5ghz last I checked keeping temps in low 70's gaming loads. So im sure a 4790K will only run better.

Between the three that would be my choice, or the Scythe if I went with Air cooling

6. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    If your only choices are outta the things youve listed; I'd take the H100.

Yeah, its got only a one year warranty, but even when it dies in X amount of time (probably a day after the year has ran out?) you can replace the pump and get a block that will go on the rad/fan setup you already have.... easy 'custom' loop at that point and a solution, in the mean time, that'll perform just fine. :toast:

7. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Oh no these aren't my only choices, these are just the ones I've found and read reviews for on frosty tech and tpu. The ashura has good RAM clearance but the be quiet! is... Quiter

8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Only on skt 775 you have to do that. The cooler itself doesnt block ram that i noticed frlm reviews here. Id say ashura or h100 for space purposes.

9. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Go check out Tweaktown.....or even TPU reviews for coolers... they seem to be consistent in their methods.

Also, I still like the Scythe Mugen 4.... bit ugly, very big... but for the price, its pretty damn solid. By TPU's charts, its only 8% worse than the H110 and is about 40 squid in the UK at the minute.

10. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Had a look on frosty tech and it appears to be slightly better than the Dark Rock 3 and quiter do I guess this is the new best heatsink of my options, although if I pick up the h100 and a couple of high performance fans for around £10-20 that could be a really good cooler also

11. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Yep, it could be a really good cooler.... until the warranty wears out in a year and it breaks leaving you 40 dead squids worth of smelling H100.

The Scythe will never break (so long as you dont throw it at your wife/mother/sister or dog) and with the addition of those fans you seem willing to buy, will be even better than it is in stock configuration.

You also have the added bonus of it being an heatsink; even if the fans die for some odd reason, it still is a big lump of metal sitting on top of your CPU.... I dare say it will even work passively to some extent - depending on your chosen case's airflow.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  12. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    True, that's why I was looking at a heatsink in the first place. The Mugen 4 has good temps, any idea about RAM clearance?

Edit: found it in the review. About the same as the dark rock http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/Scythe/Mugen4/5.html

13. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    El_Mayo says thanks.
  14. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    The Ashura's got better clearance but I don't plan on buying tall ram. If I do I can remove the heatspreaders ye?

15. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Well... probably not, no. It depends on the RAM you buy.

However, you can always mount the fan on the other side of slightly higher up? No one really says you have to mount it at exactly the same height as you see in reviews.

From TPU's review picture alone, it looks to have another 2 - 5mm of clearance potential any way; enough to clear most sets of RAM. Besides, fin style heat spreaders on RAM dont really equate to more cockerel value any way. ;) :toast:

16. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I I find the heatspreaders thing strange. I don't think RAM gets hot enough to warrant the potential inconvenience but I'll be picking a ram kit mainly based on price so a cheaper kit will hopefully not have any massive heatspreaders

17. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Heatspreaders on RAM work in some ways but for most people theyre just for e-peen value or aesthetics.

If you dont need more e-cockerels due to being hung like an online moose already and you dont much mind things looking 'plain', how RAM looks shouldnt really place a roll in your choices.

18. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't, but I can't seem to find any brand name "value" 16GB kits :( I don't mind getting a kit without heatspreaders if it were £100 or under but I can't find any

19. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Could always just buy an 8GB kit and more later... if you really need it?

I have 8GB in my current rig and even with page file turned off, I never run over..... however, my experiences arent necessarily going to be suited to you.

20. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Could do but I wanna use it to run DaVinci Resolve and Premiere so never enough RAM really!

21. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Then by all means, get that 16GB game going my man. :toast:

22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I have the Ashura its clearance by the ram is really good. Its one of the better slim coolers plus gives you clearance to mount a rear fan.

It fits fine in the Aerocool XPredator when all 8 fan bays are occupied.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  23. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    H100 won't give you issues with RAM clearance. Price is good, you can trust the refurbs. My H100 is currently in another pack mule machine running an OC'd 5800K, and it's been running 24/7 for almost 2 years now. I recommend you replace the fans though, mighty loud.

24. doyll

Thanks Received:
    Take a look at the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power for about 35 quid. It is 2.5dBA quieter than NH-D14 and 0.7c warmer. If want 7-8c more cooling change the fan to a TY-143 for another fiver. ;)

25. Countryside

Countryside

Thanks Received:
    Cooler master hyper 212 evo :toast: and as doyll said Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 not bad at all.