1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best Custom Water Cooling Kits?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by T4C Fantasy, Dec 31, 2012.

1. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I don't think you can reach such high clocks on your 3770k without causing severe degradation of your chip silicon, it would take insane amounts of voltage and you'd probably reach the point where there is so much heat on top of the chip that not even a waterblock could transfer to water especially because Ivy bridge has a small die compared to let's say SB-E.

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    No your not. Gentle Typhoons will supply you with much better static pressure which is what you need for fans that will go on a radiator. I always recommend people the Corsair SP series fans. They work really well, and pretty quiet too. Slipstreams are also Sleeve bearings which don't have as long of life, and build quality isn't as good.

The Apogee HD is also one of the most restrictive blocks out there right now too.

3. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Unless you have something like 4 radiators and 4 gpu blocks + double x79 mobo blocks a MCP35X is gonna chew through it like it is a paper wall ;)

4. T4C Fantasy

T4C Fantasy CPU & GPU DB Maintainer

Thanks Received:
    Im definitely getting the dual pump mcp35x2 res overkill as it may be, I want all the slots filled, just the way I am lol

5. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    It isn't a bad idea you could always run the pumps at lower speed so they'd be silent and most importantly you'll have redundancy which is a key in watercooling in my opinion.
    Atleast this is why I run dual DDC.

6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    You could also get two D5's and run them at full speed and from personal experience they are still quieter than those DDC's.

Those fans are quiet because they are weaksauce. The gentle typhoons literally will blow them out of the water.

7. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
  8. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Yeah while being loud as hell. The Corsair fans are not that weak. Good Static pressure for the mount of noise they produce, and they are perfect for rads like the XSPC RX and Alphacool UT45/60/Monsta rads.

9. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I've been watercooling for a while and I'd rather get more rad surface than get faster fans.

My water delta over ambient never goes over 2c and I have a tremendous heat load being dumped into my loop, all my fans are spinning lower than 1500rpm, it's like having no computer the room.

Believe me when you try the new Noctuas 140mm and 120mm you'll be amazed by the absence of noise.

The moment you choose audible fans you lose one of the big advantages of watercooling, at least that's my opinion.

10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    If all you worry about is headpressure the ddc series has always been better. As far as im concerned a pair of d5's perform better all around.

The corsair fans are both louder ane have a lower static pressure than the coolermaster sickleflows that have been out 4+ years now. They are not gods gift to water cooling as everyone seems to think they are. They are a niche product that is being worshipped by corsair fans.

11. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    This from the guy who consistently brags about using the noisiest fans on the planet:laugh:
    Anyhow, you're kind of missing the point, or have no experience with the 35X. It's PWM, so most of the time it's quiet as a mouse, quieter than my old 655 vario set on 4. When you need the power, it does it by itself.

12. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Dude, get a facking clue. You obviously have never used the Corsair or Cooler Master fans and basing anything you are saying from some fantasy. I can confirm this as well because Ive used these fans in a lot of client builds till i realized how shitty they really are(Sickleflow Cooler master fans). They are definitely not 19dBA, thats nearly impossible to accomplish with sleeve bearings at 2000rpm. And your also wrong in the fact that the sicklelows have more static pressure then the Corsair fans. The Corsair SP120 High Performance fans (Not the quiet ones) do 3.1 mm/H2O for static pressure, while the Cooler Masters only do 2.94.

Here are the Specs. Have a gander, because your wrong.

Corsairs:

[​IMG]

Cooler Masters Sickleflow R4s:
    Everyone knows that these specs are inaccurate and over rated though. I guess you missed that memo.

[​IMG]

Remind me next time when you post something here, to take it with a grain of salt.

13. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Are you really comparing fan specs with manufacturers data sheets? ohgod :rolleyes:

14. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    They are never fully accurate, but they are also not that far off. The Cooler Master fans are the one fan that did not perform as advertised. The Corsair fans, and the Gentle Typhoons I tried out always seem to perform better then expectations. I can run the Corsair fans at 2000+ RPM and the noise doesnt bother me. Where as the Cooler Master fans when id run them full tilt, the sound they made was awful.

15. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    You can run the 655 off of a fan port with it set to voltage regulation. It works and it keeps them quiet as can be.

And this is were it starts. I have obviously never used anything because you believe the corsair version to be better correct?

As have I they perform and last well. While not costing an arm and a leg (ie Corsair SP's)

How wonderful you have now become a fan engineer. Thanks for letting the entire forum know what is and is not possible with a sleeve bearing. I will make sure to inform the fan manufacturers of your findings.

I fail to see were ANYONE mentions we are specifically looking at the SP120 high performance models. With all of the talk of quiet fans I figured hey lets looking at quiet fans. What do you know your own spec sheets show 2x the performance at a lower noise ratio using a sickleflow over the SP120 series fan. With the cost ratio being 2:1 I know were I would shop. Uncomfurtable with the noise? Well they are PWM with the 2 times as many fans as you can get flip them to PWM let them idle until needed in a push/pull setup. Seems like a win win to me.

Remind me next time to replace whatever you have posted with [/Corsair>all others] Same things I have dealt with when all of the Cosairinites wanted to argue Corsair powersupplies are the best on the planet while costing more and performing the same.

And I can run Delta's at 5K without an issue maybe instead of whining about the kind of noise produced you should look at the amount. Last time I checked personal preference didn't go into manufacturers specs.

16. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I believe that the OP has enough information in regards to fans for water cooling by now, so let's move on.

cdawall says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU