1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best game of all time?

Discussion in 'Games' started by wazzledoozle, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Add Demon's Souls to the list please, it was one of the few "hard" games which stood out during the time when people were busy dumbing down games. It is still very satisfying to play.

2. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    How is the difficulty of Demon's Souls/Dark Souls compared to a game like Ninja Gaiden Black?

3. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    My favorite game ever is Driver 2...but not the best game ever. Best game I could think of as already mentioned would probably be GTA...the series.

4. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    new age games?????? Like in new age cults?
    If that, any RPG! }:p

5. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Probably the same. They are both hard, but there are some key differences.

In Dark Souls you need more strategy, and also you need to have tremendous patience and execution. You need to pay attention to how the game works, stats, items, effects, it's an open-world RPG. Once you master how the game works, you master the game.

In Ninja Gaiden, while still needing strategy, patience and execution although not that much compared to DS, the most important thing you need is mad skills. reflexes and agility in using the controller. Once you master your reflexes and agility, you master the game.

imo I would probably say Dark Souls, It's more frustrating for me, died too many times from being too fast, or being too slow, or being too dumb or too smart, you just need to perfect it, You need to master everything in order to beat it,

Also there's a big penalty on dying, you lose all your souls(aka money) if you die again before you can retrieve them by going back to the place you died. also if you play multiplayer, it gets much real harder. Anyone can invade you and destroy your game in an instant at almost any point of your game. have a perfect plan for this part of the map? yey someone invades you and pwns your sorry little ass. Some people even turn off their console internet just to play DS peacefully.

The game is one big map too, and one big continuous event, one save only and it autosaves every x minutes, if you lets say accidentally kill an NPC 4 hours into the game, the game autosaves and that NPC is dead forever until you restart a new game

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  6. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Different kind of hard. Ninja Gaiden Black focuses on "if you cant do it, try until you master", whereas Demon's Souls makes you fear death itself.

7. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    To play in the graveyard with the rest of you ghouls...

I gotta +1 to "Elite" as probably the best out there. Closer to "open world" than any other game of its time or for several years to come. Really pissed off the publishers too, as they wanted an arcade mentality of "3 lives" or some such. So many games after it owe so much to that game.
    Doom was groundbreaking, as was Zork... Altho for me personally, TES:The Arena was more influential than Zork. WoW was obviously a trend-setter, and I spent many many hours in that world. Also got me my long-time fiancee :), so that's a bonus :).

Top 3 would have to be Elite, Doom, and TES (pick any one but Daggerfall :) ). We really ought to turn this into a poll if we're gonna res the damn thread :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    5 Million points folded for TPU
  8. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    I love the souls franchise. They are wonderful games that provide great challenges for gamers but also satisfy our appetite for good storytelling! The story in Dark Souls is one you need to dig for but even discovering minor hints through item descriptions about what happened to certain characters is extremely rewarding. If you like Dark Souls and want to know more about the lore, check out EpicNameBro's youtube channel. He has some fantastic lore videos! :toast:

9. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Tomb Raider IV

10. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    The Last of Us.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Dunno why everyone says Ninja Gaiden Black was hard. It was about as difficult an any simple 8-bit game back in the day. I beat it front and back without issue. If you wanna know a hard game fire up Ninja Gaiden on the NES or Blaster Master on the NES.......or the hellish Festers Quest. You will never know such pain and realize ALL games today are to F#$KING EASY.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

12. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    How are you measuring the results, based on how the game is perceived today, or based on how it was received when it was released?

13. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Festers quest was bad ass!!

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Like techtard also mentioned: System Shock 2!

For me personally its still by far the most immersive game i've played.

15. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    There is no best game ever. They all have there fan base each to his/her own. The best is very subjective at best...

16. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Totally agree! Its nice to see what people regard as their best game, though.

trickson says thanks.
  17. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    i don't think he is making a list. afterall this thread is 7 years old.

sneekypeet and trickson say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    You obviously didn't try any of the special missions on Master Ninja difficulty...

The game wasn't tough on Normal or even Hard difficulty, but Master Ninja was fairly difficult and some of the missions on Master Ninja are incredibly hard.

19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Like I said I beat it up and down. It wasn't anywhere NEAR the original NES version.

20. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I actually got to the final boss in IWBTG. Should try that again actually..

Deus Ex disagree!

21. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Demon souls,Dark souls was most challenging games for me,so for me they are definetly in TOP10 of my list.

22. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    i think we all know that the best game of all time is pong. then pacman, then mario brothers and then wolfenstein.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Pong was the stuff, not too sure about the PacMan, I'm a huge anti-platformer, so MB is out, but I'll give you Wolfenstein :)

5 Million points folded for TPU