1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best integrated graphics for a laptop

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Easy Rhino, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    I am looking at purchasing a laptop in the next 6 weeks and am a bit confused about graphics. What is the best integrated graphics solution for a laptop. I hear the new intel 4000 chipset is very nice but i am sure there is something faster?

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    amd trinity?

3. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    the 4000-series have made quite a leap, but are still bottom of the barrell.

For the first time ever, I bought a laptop with a very nice graphics card (6850). I will never look back after that, was an amazing decision.

I am not sure what you are needing graphics for, but there are low-end ATI graphics out there for pretty cheap, and far outperform Intel HD4k series.

Akumos says thanks.
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That depends imo. If the main use is general laptop stuff with some light gaming, Trinity is the way to go. For more serious gaming sure you for a discrete chip.

5. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    hrm, the most gaming that i will be doing is stuff like TF2 and L4D2, maybe some torchlight and minecraft.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    There are only 2 integrated graphics worth mentioning, Intel HD4000 and AMD Trinity HD7660G. AMD is better overall in graphics. Here's a comparison in gaming for the iGPU:

[​IMG]

It really depends what you plan to do with the laptop.

7. razor2890

Thanks Received:
    integrated graphic cards are pretty useless for gaming(if u r into it..)...provides very low resolution & quality,though INTEL 4000 is quite good.....
    But if you plan on buying GPU for your laptop then i think your integrated GPU will be disabled...

8. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    Easy Rhino,

I think some specifics are in order when you ask open ended questions like this...:)

TF2 and L4D2 aren't very demanding games. I can play them quite easily with med-hi settings on 3-4 year old laptops.

What specifically are you going to use it for? How much do you want to spend...if the budget is tight, you can get a decent notebook from 350 to 500. If you want a graphics card added, it jumps to about 600-700. And - on up from there.

Refurbs are on sale right now at Dell(25% off), there are also major sales going on with the Lenovo's too(check SlickDeals). I personally bought a 3rd Gen Core i3 15.6 Inspiron this weekend for 330. The little lady will be pleased, it has a pink lid...:laugh:.

Best,

LC

9. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    this will be for doing work while traveling which include some programming. the machine doesn't have to be super quick but there will be a lot of applications open so an i5 is at a minimum with 8 gigs of ram. the only reason i am asking about integrated graphics is because i want something light to carry around and i will want to ability to do some light gaming if i get an hour of downtime.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  11. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    That has changed recently where the graphics hardware market has moved beyond the graphics software market.

I have had integrated graphics before, and it always kept me wanting more. At first it would satisfy what little I wanted to do with it, but if I ever wanted more, that wall that I created for myself would always be there.

12. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    Don't bet so much on Intel IGP... I'll put it this way... the old x300 in my IBM T43 seems to handle gaming better than the intel 4500 in my newer Compaq (i don't think its the same 4000 series as the new ones). Maybe that'll change when I upgrade from a Celeron 900 to a Celeron T3300 (all the laptop supports) and an SSD.

Best bang for the buck would probably be an APU, though the IGP in my friend's i5 2500k seemed to play games like left4dead decently

you might want to check Dell's overstock outlet... they usually have some good deals there, or newegg's refurbs

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    More than 25k PPD