1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

best Mechanical Gaming Keyboards

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Nov 22, 2012.

1. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
  2. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    i was just on NCIX forums and they mentioned this : Azio Levetron KB577U MECH5

Any one have any experience with this board?

3. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Yes sir, I have one of those. It's a very solid keyboard, very nice. It has the black switches, which are a little heavier than the other cherry switches. If you don't mind the extra slight weight, it's great! I love the included built in wrist rest!!!

Keypad can be detached completely and removed, it can be moved to the left side, or it can float wherever with the little extra cable.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for mentioning the Osmium. I'll go look into that. I'm looking for a good Cherry MX Red keyboard. Corsair's K60 and K90 looked good, but the fact they were not fully mechanical put me off. WTF, Corsair? Did you really have to cheap out like that?

Killer_Rubber_Ducky, have you taken a look at mechanical keyboard FAQ in my sig? Might help you in what you're looking for.

5. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    I don't know what to think. Linus Tech Tips responded to my tweet to him about the keyboards. he told me my best bet was to get a Logitech G710 on sale. Id kinda like to step away from logitechj this time. so IDK

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Linus is probably one of the few people that have actually used all the keyboards we've suggested, and he really knows his stuff. So I wouldn't take his suggestion lightly.

If you want to move away from Logitech that puts the Corsair keyboards out as well, since they are made by logitech and the software is even just the rebranded logitech software.

erixx and cadaveca say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    Ducky I don't own a mechanical keyboard myself (although it's on my wishlist), but I think I've found the only mechanical keyboard that is appropriate for you.

Killer_Rubber_Ducky's new keyboard.

8. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    where did you hear that Logitech makes Corsair's keyboards?

9. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    As a good keyboard that may be, but K90 are not good mechanical keyboards.

Logitech uses OEMs just like Corsair for some boards. The statement is without merit, unfortunately.

As for mech keyboards if you want to save money get good quality go with coolermaster or the rosewill rk9000 (non backlit) series. If you are ok spending the money you might want to consider other options.

::EDIT:: Coolermaster Rapids are the exact same guts as Filco uses on their tenkeyless models. People pay nearly $160 for them new.

10. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    ok, so lets say im willing to spend the extra coin. what should i be looking at. I will keep the g710+ in reserve as well. Not sure if red or brown switch though.

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    erixx says thanks.
  12. Binge

Thanks Received:
    So for gaming most people prefer Blacks, Browns, and Reds. Browns are more comfortable all around than the other two, but some people say otherwise. It is very subjective as to the usefulness of full linear or tactile. Browns are hardly tactile (say compared to blues, greens, clears or Matias switches) so they are your safest bet. You will NOT regret a keyboard with brown switches.

For high end boards you have,

WASD Keyboards V1
    Ducky Shine II and non LED versions
    KBT Pro
    Filco Majestouch 2
    Matias Quiet Pro
    OLDER Das Keyboard models before they sourced iOne as their OEM.

There are a few exotics you could attempt to get but usually you need an agent in China, Korea, or Japan. For example a KMAC LZ, Plum 96, and Topre Realforce which are not exactly all in the same category of keyboards but are all exotics.

13. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    ok, any with somthing similar to G keys? I used ACRE with TeamSpeak for ARMA II. It binds to a macro key like a G key. Im not concerned about media keys since i dont use them. I primarily play BF3, ArmAII, planetside 2. FPS gaming with sparse RTS.

14. Binge

Thanks Received:
    If anything some of the better keyboards have less keys. Using AHK would save you the trouble of needing to buy something that has a macro system.

15. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    ahk?

16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Most of the more expensive keyboards won't make much sense if it's primarily for gaming. That Coolermaster I linked fits the bill pretty well.

17. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, I can vouch for this as I use it to type now. I linked it a little earlier, and it's a lot cheaper than it was when I purchased not long ago.

OR if you're interested in that Levetron Mech 5 you mentioned earlier, give me a PM. ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    thanks. admittedly, I have been a little wary of coolermaster in terms of keyboards since they dont strike me as a keyboard manufacturer.

19. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    Well, to choose a mechanical keyboard certainly you need to know about the switches.

After you choose one (MX Blue, MX Red, MX Brown, MX Black), then go for the reviews.

Personally, the MX Brown switches are the best. Tactile as MX Blue but not clicky. Not linear as MX Black, that gives you no feedback. MX Brown also has release & actuation points really close, so you can double tap a lot faster. Comparing to MX Black, you don't need to press harder. However, MX Black helps when you give accidental presses during a game.

Silence, quickness, feedback. To me, seems perfect for gaming and typing.

20. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    To take the oportunity...

Anyone here has a Logitech G710+? That board looked really good in some reviews out there. Some thoughts from owners would be nice...

21. Binge

Thanks Received:
    auto hot key

Nothing bad, nothing particularly stellar, a lot of glue (not a fan of that for a keyboard), and horrid looks imho

PatoRodrigues says thanks.
  22. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    Well, i think the looks get to more personal opinion.

But experience-wise, a CM QuickFire Pro with MX Brown switches would be better?

23. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    Despite the fact that razer is taking a lot of crap lately. I love my razer black widow ultimate. I'm a linux sys admin so when i'm not fragging i'm typing furiously at a terminal. As such i use this for my work computer and for a home gaming computer. I love the way the key's react and feel, the build quality is unmatched imho. Also the blue isn't all that intrusive and the sound although audible and quite loud, is more impressive than it is annoying.

24. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Quickfire pro is not as high quality as the Rapid or TK. Keep that in mind.

When you tear apart that board and compare it to something substantial then you will know about build quality. Cherry switches are the most high quality component in the BWU and that is no lie. Their plates are not stainless steel so they will rust in certain environments, their controller is mediocre, and PCB/plate mounting leaves something to be desired. This isn't against you defending razer, but more so that instead of defending them just admit you love blue switches.

25. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    does anyone know of a mech keyboard that has multiple types of switches on the board? Kinda like how the Gigabyte Avia K8100 has different force reqs on different keys.
    **I am really looking at the Levatron Mech 5. Newegg combo comes with a mouse too.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012