1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best Place to buy Computer Desk in NYC?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Oct 9, 2010.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    About a month ago, I fell off my bed and slammed right into the side of my desk. I won't go into the details of how that happened, but it did. I was actually quite amazed the desk is still standing, I'm a pretty big guy and I went full force into it. Anyway, it is leaning a bit to the side and I'm not comfortable using it for much longer. I took the expensive things off it for the most part but it needs to be placed.

I'm not really sure of a good place to buy a nice desk though. I like a big, sturdy desk, kind of like what I have now. I live in NYC, near my house is a Staples, Best Buy, Target, and Home Depot. Staples has a very weak selection, Best Buy and Target I haven't checked out. Home Depot I'm not even sure if they sell desks there, but I do love that store and like any reason to spend an evening there.

If anyone happens to know a place where to buy one I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to avoid shopping online for a desk purely because I work every weekday and I'll never be home to receive delivery.

jamesparker says thanks.
  2. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    If you know of anyone proficient in carpentry you could get them to build you one. It will be cheaper and stronger, and you can really tailor it to your needs.
    Otherwise, if you like Home Depot, go for it.
    Does the company you work for have any affiliation/business relationship with a company that supplies desks and other office supplies? Might be worth looking into...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    jamesparker and OrbitzXT say thanks.
  3. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I asked already, they got all their office furniture from a Staples I believe. Best Buy's website has a pretty large selection of desks. I'm not sure how many are actually in stock at the store near me but I'm gonna go check when they open in about an hour. Hopefully I can find something decent there. Conversely, Home Depot's website shows virtually no desks so I guess no luck there.

jamesparker and scaminatrix say thanks.
  4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    you could always drive a shitload of nails/screws + glue to keep it standing for a bit

jamesparker says thanks.
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    jamesparker says thanks.
  6. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    That's exactly what I would do! DIY FTW!

Do you know anyone who could build you one? Anyone carpenters or anything nearby you? A custom one is always best and cheapest IMO.

jamesparker says thanks.
  7. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's actually pretty sturdy for the beating it took. When I had everything off the desk I was curious and gave it a couple bumps to see if it was ready to topple over and it's not there yet. But since I have a 3 day weekend this week I figure it's a good time to get off my ass and replace it.

jamesparker says thanks.
  8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I am not from NYC, but they have a showroom there and some nice looking stuff.

Big Apple Futons
    Computer Desks
    Computer office furniture

Selection - You'll find hundreds of unique styles - futons, platform beds, coffee tables, dining room sets, sofa beds for every style and budget. You won't find a better selection anywhere else.

Stop by our modern furniture showroom in Midtown Manhattan.
    487 3rd Ave, NY 10016
    Call: (212) 481 1171

Shipping - If you value fast, low-cost shipping, this is the place for you. Our products are in stock and ready to ship right now, so you'll receive your new modern furniture quickly. Free NYC Shipping!
    :)

EDIT:

But, if you want some really high end, gorgeous, price don't matter stuff(they are in Mich. though):

Amish Furniture Home
    DESKS

Edit Edit:

Knocking it down a notch!
    OfficeMax
    Desks & Laptop Stands
    :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    jamesparker, scaminatrix and OrbitzXT say thanks.
  9. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I called Best Buy, of the 56 different desks they have available on their website, they have a whopping TWO different models actually in the store =/ I obviously didn't expect them to have much of the website selection in stock but still, two is disappointing. I guess my search continues.

jamesparker says thanks.
  10. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    order online, get it delivered?

jamesparker says thanks.
  11. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the forum!

next time please try and make a new thread as this one is dealing with another member's issue. But if you could elaborate on what you are trying to say then we could help you out.

12. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    are there meijer stores where you are? If so, a lot of times they have sauder products that they'll put on sale normally around the time of college kid move in days. I've gotten some awesome deals of like 80% off of some handmade desks and tv stands from them. Everything's pre-cut w/ directions to assemble; quite good products too if you catch them on sale :)

http://techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132499