1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BEST R9 290 GPU as far as $/heat management

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sebastian869, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    Really wondering what you guys think is the best r9 290? who has the best "after mkt" heat controlling methods as the board gets hot, from what i read it seems to be the biggest issue with the board. From the home work I've done I decided to go with the 290 vs 770 or the more expensive 780 (not worth the extra funds for the results, I'm only worried about the AMD drivers vs Nvidia drivers)

Lastly, does it make sense to buy the "Over clocked models vs stock speed"

Thanks

2. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    Didn't get what you mean by OC models over stock speed. If you mean non-reference, overclocked out of the box OVER the reference boards... Yes, definitely.

ASUS and MSI have custom boards with backplates. But as far as i have seen, Gigabyte and Sapphire have a small edge in terms of performance. The problem with these cards is actually really weird, and i could only get my 290s out of the black screen slump by underclocking the memory clock and returning the fan settings to the default profile.

And if you're really worried about the drivers, then.... Nvidia honestly is your best option. If you did your homework well, you know what to pick already. :)

sebastian869 says thanks.
  3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Haven't you bought a card yet? You seem to be making a lot of threads about pretty much the same thing.

Scrizz says thanks.
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received: