1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best settings,calibrations for my screen

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by gasolin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Since i switched to amd (Asus Hd 7970 Dcuii Top) from a Msi tf gtx 660 oc (inbetween i used an old gtx 8600 gt until i got my card from asus,worked fine) i have had very bright colors it's the red and blue colors but also a bit of the green and yellow colors are to bright, intrusive. Screen Benq gl2750hm

I have gone so fare as to look for a nvidia card (msi tf gtx 760 gaming 2 or 4gb versions, that was the other gpu i considered buying, but chose Asus hd 7970) although i like the performance of my asus hd 7970

Every new driver update for nvidia reset gamma to 50, all i had to do was to turn down gamma to just a bit under 40 and i got a picture i liked, that's not what i just can do with my amd card, it's not at all changing the colors in the same way as when i use a nvidia card. Nvidia made the colors more pale,less intrusive and bright when i turned down gamma, amd just makes it a bit darker with only a bit varmer colors (not much) or bright with only slightly more pale,less warm colors (again not much)

So how do i get the best settings,calibration for my screen? (was so easy with nvidia although i might have change the settings on my screen so it's different compared to when i used nvidia)
  2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    have you tried to reset your monitor setting?
    could be from your monitor

nvidia and amd may give you different contrast so you need to adjust them manually
  3. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Worked fine with nvidia.

The colors only got more pale,less bright when i turned gamma a bit down with a nvidia card, doing the same thing with my hd 7970 it get's darker and the colors get a bit more warm.

Gamma adjustems dosn't have as big influence on the brightness of the colors using an amd and gamma, as it did with nvidia and gamma

It's like using 40 watt light bulb when 25 watt is perfect
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    it may from the driver, check setting on your card
    what about using latest driver
  5. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Using the altest driver 13.9, setting are standard, stock with only gamma a bit up (so the picture isn't so dark, just choose gamma instead of brightness, looked ok not using brightness)
  6. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I recommend a USB utility called Spyder4Elite, I use it on most IPS screens and my own screen for calibration, as we do a lot with photoshop.
  7. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    I have heard of this, but it costs over 100€,120$ for the cheap one (don't know anybody who has one)

Even the cheapest one costs over 100€ http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4express/

Haven't seen any screen calibrations tools for less then 100€ where you use some hardware to aut adjust the picture of a pc screen (have thought about that kind of screen calibration tools)
  8. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Just mess around with the monitor settings in CCC until you find a setting you like. That's what I did after I but my 29" because all the blues and reds felt washed(I really like strong vibrant color) out so if you find them too vibrant you should be able to do the opposite.
  9. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Have tried that but still couldn't find a setting i like
  10. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
  11. Blín D'ñero

Blín D'ñero

Thanks Received:
    Don't change the GAMMA.
    In CCC -> My Digital Flatpanels -> "Display Color (Digital Flat-Panel)" , try with EDID checked ON.

On that same page in CCC, lowering the temperature might be all that is needed in your case.
    Else, for less brightness, you could
    • lower the brightness and contrast a little
    • lessen the saturation
  12. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Never used My Digital Flatpanels i only used Desktopcontrol or desktop manager (i don't know what it's name in english is)

Using edid i can't adjust the temperature

Saturation (80 ish) actually helps alot (red,blue colors) brightness is 95-100 or else i think the picture is to dark,contrast is 90-95, using edid gives a slight brighter red color.

So using gamma with a nvidia card also adjust saturation?

So what's the difference between screencolor (digital flatscreen) and desktopcolors? (not shure if it's the right name for it in english) and gamma and saturation

I don't know how to reset the setting on my screen (built in software) so that might also have an effect on the colors of my screen
  13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    NEC SpectraView Colorimeter is better. Also a word to the wise. Don't mess with color calibrations unless you KNOW what you are doing.........NEC IMO is still the BEST you can get.