1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best store bought PC..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SlipSlice, Dec 25, 2006.

1. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so I don't want to go through the hassel of buying each and every part to build a computer from scratch, because it can cost in the long run more, but I understand the performance could be better.

But to the point, I just want to get a store bought PC, that will game like any PC that you can build yourself.. I have found many, but you guys help would really help me out tremendously.

What I would like it to contain:
    AMD Athlon Processor, Dual core, X2, anything works
    200 gig harddrive, somewhere around there
    at least a gig of DDR2 ram, 800mhz
    And for the final touch, it would be nice if somebody could find a combo with a whole computer setup package, such as an LCD monitor, speakers, the whole boot.

My price range is from is 700$ max at the moment, if I can come up with more I will post.

And store that is popular, best buy, circuit city would be nice, (they are close to me)

But if you guys have stores close to you that carry better computers with cheaper prices..anything goes.

Thanks..any more info, just let me know.

I already have a Rosewill 550 PSU, for this new PC, because after buying the PC, I am going to save up for a @$@#$$ graphics card for it..which will need some power..
    :toast:

2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can get decent prebuilt pc's on sale. then they are worth it, as long as they're not an HP.

4. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, no dought, that is a good machine as well for the price, but no monitor, or nothing like that, as of what I seen.

Sounds good, but what kind of stores does this? Some examples of places would be great,

any other info is helpful guys!!

slip

5. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    pre-builds suck, period. unless their just for work, in which case anything works.

6. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    my prebuilt is 26 on the sciencemark list:rockout: :rockout:

7. prime95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I live in Illinois and could build you a much better custom PC that would definitely perform better than a store bought cheesebox and have the expandability for a new graphics card in the future :p

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  8. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    yes.. 26th.. :p Prowler is something like 15th, score one for the custom builds :p (ok, technically 11) :D

9. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My Gateway Gamer (see specs) cost less than the Memory and Video card I bought for it. True it ain't no super rig, but it plays everything I got on Ultra Settings just fine.

10. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    but u must admit that is a great achievement for this lonely gateway and im only 100 points behind you ket:toast:

11. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    I live in Indiana, quite close, but I dont know you at all, :).

12. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    honestly agree with ket, prebuilt sucks, and causts more in the long run to.

home built you can do so much better for so much less.

example

biostar tforce 550 mobo, 80bucks retail
    athlon64 3500+ 85bucks retail
    2gbddr2 533 4-4-4-12 1.8v 200bucks retail
    x1900gt 256mb rev2 140bucks retail
    320gb seagate sata hdd 96bucks retail(5 year warr)
    fortron 400watt 12cm fan psu 41bucks retail
    cheap but decent case 25bucks
    freezer64pro cpu cooler 20bucks
    samsun dvd burner 18x 35bucks
    this is aprox price from newegg. add that up and its
    $722 thats probbly droped a bit since i havent looked at hdd prices and ram prices in the last few weeks!!!

if you need a good/great montor for a great price
    Merkortech
    i have used them for years, great deals, free shiped items arrive in decent ammounts of time, longest i ever waited was 2 weeks for a 24in hd monotor shiped ground freight, thats not bad considering it caust us under 400bucks shiped and had a tv tuner built in!!!!!
    it was for a costmer, he was and still is quite pleased, uses it for work and watches tv in PIP feture at the same time!!!

13. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is the thing, I could build a computer but don't want to risk frying something on it..never built a computer from scratch..kinda wiery about doing it, ya know.. I can do little things like putting in PSU's, soundcards, graphics cards. stuff like that, but nothing to extreme, that is why I wanted to go prebuilts, it would make it less stressfull on me.

14. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    its not hard to build one, and honestly, if my buddy chuck in cali can do a build himself you can do it, hes simi retarded(no to be mean but he litterly has a condition simlar to retardation)
    main things to remmber are to take ur time and check mobo screw mount allinement, and also, most times if you short something out the system just wont start up ;) (hey after over 15 years as a tech you gotta belive i have shorted stuff out on new builds more then a few times) i have never killed a board by shorting it out or killed anything with ESD!!!!

doing your first self build is exciting and scarry, but once you do it, OMFG you dont even know, its like you just gave birth to a new life, when you hit that powerbutton for the first time and the system posts you just cant help but smile, hell i still feel that way when i do builds for myself and friends!!!

if ur really worried about shorting a board out get an accrilic case, cant short out on plastic :p

but honestly, its not that hard, if people knew how easy it really is techs wouldnt be called as offten(hence im glad most ppl are dumb :p )

15. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ibuypower.com you can still choose what you want :] havn't looked at that site for years though. seriosuly make your own, i know this dumb ass ogre and he built his own comp because he managed to match colors and shapes.

16. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol at ogre, i know a canadian that looks like one of those cavemen from the geiko commercials that builds his own, hes not much brighter then a troll eather, just gotta keep his father away from the parts, the smuch burned out a new athlon xp 3200 chip by hitting the power button when it had no cooler!!!

17. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can't tell me that there isn't no good systems prebuilt guys common..Athlon 3800+ X2, 1 Gig of DDR2 ram, 6150 graphics, ( which doesn't matter because will be switching), lightscribe setup, and all that good stuff :)..

I believe that is somewhat some good stuff on a system for 600$

18. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    well what are yoiu going to use from you current rig if you get a prebuilt
    besides your card?

19. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
  20. InfDamarvel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Itll cost so much more money to get a pc thats like the ones people build. Youll want one that you can upgrade pretty easy and thats not cheap.

But in all seriousness Id advise www.ibuypower.com They have a core 2 duo system that you can customize for alil for under 700 dollars and you can take that and downgrade some of the parts you dont need and probably already have and then throw in a nice graphics card and still have a awsome pc.

21. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    def. a good pc in my opinion..

that is also a good idea, but shipping is insane on a computer because of its weight and all u know. But I haven't fully decided yet, even though I do have a pretty good idea on what i think that i want.

Does anybody know if the X2 processors are even good, or is it that the way i look at it and say "X2, that has to be good" :) because that is how I am.. Athlon, how is yours working out? And does it perform how you want it to?

thanks guys

22. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    x2 are great chips, as are all athlon and even sempy64 256k chips, and yes i can say a 6150 based board isnt good, have seen 3 so far, 1 overclocked ok but its fetures sucked, the others fetures sucked and they couldnt overclock for sh@t.

and shiping on a whole pc can be expenvice or not bad, it depends on how far ur shiping it and under what service, i have shiped 4 comps to cali in the last year that where under 30bucks each to ship with insurance!!!

23. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea I know the 6150 isn't going to be that good, considering it is an onboard graphics card, but
    I am going to get a new graphics card in the first place anyways once I build up money again, after of course buying a new computer..My plan is to get the computer stock like it is, leave it for about 2 weeks (I will game how it is :() Then once I get my money back up again, then it is time to pop in the rosewill 550watt, and I was thinking an X1800 card. possible or 1900..never know.

24. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    x1900gt rev2 is a great buy.

and dont buy rosewill, get a 400watt fortron for 41bucks, (or more watts if u like) look at my specs, im powering all that on a fortron 400watt psu!!!

25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    One thing that hasn't been considered, is whether or not he already owns a copy of Windows. A prebuilt comes with it installed, whereas building it yourself requires you to buy it.