1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best TV under £350 [UK]

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by El_Mayo, Aug 4, 2014.

1. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking the Panasonic TX42A400B atm

I'm not bothered about it being this year's model or last, or slimness or smart functionality, especially if the trade off is picture quality. If it's smart with good picture quality I'm interested, but presumably that'd push the price above £350

2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Oddly enough, I wandered into my local Sainsburys and they had some sweet deals on Samsung Big Ass(tm) TVs. I usually order from tech sites and Amazon, but you'd be surprised what offers your local supermarket has to offer on some decent Samsung/Sony TVs.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong @Mussels, but he can be of great help. He knows things about TVs.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  3. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    aye that's true, every TV I find on Amazon I check for it on Tesco as well, especially with their Clubcard Boost thing on atm, so I'll be looking to buy in Tesco (same price as Amazon although a much smaller selection)

4. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    John lewis will price match and give longer warranties

El_Mayo says thanks.
  5. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Even if you pay a little more, I'd still rather buy big electronics from John Lewis if I had the cash. Their five year warranty is unmatched.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  6. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This Toshiba is decent, lovely clear and vivid picture, my oldest daughter has one, 40 inches, LED, 100hz and 3D with loads of connections/multimedia features and well within budget although just a 2 year basic warranty but if her TV's ever go bad she claims off her household contents insurance and gets a replacement!........

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/led-tv/toshiba-40l7331dg-led-3d-smart-tv/22155197-a.html

@ 319 quid.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  7. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I was in there just yesterday! I would have bought something in there if I knew they price matched

8. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
  9. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    El_Mayo says thanks.
  10. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I don't have a PS4 or Xbox one so I'm never getting 60 frames anyway, and everything I watch is on Netflix/Amazon prime so I'm not looking for a high refresh rate anyway, but now you've said that I'll try to actively avoid them. And you can't reduce the refresh rate with the remote?

11. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Generally 100hz will give you smoother frames for games such as FPS over 50hz, Interpolation can be an issue though unless it is a good quality unit, my rule of thumb is generally a good quality 50hz would probably be better than a poor quality 100hz.

RCoon says thanks.
  12. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    El_Mayo says thanks.
  13. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  14. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I've returned many things with Ebuyer. It's very straight forward. They handle the RMA system in house. Just submit a ticket online, if its faulty they send a courier van to pick it up and do the swap for free, as long as its within warranty. I've done this a year or two later when a fault developed.

For regular returns (if the item isn't faulty). Then they adhere to your standard 30 day return policy as would any physical shop (distance selling regulation, trading standard requirements). But you may have to pay for return shipping for a simple change of mind as it isn't their fault.

http://www.ebuyer.com/help/returns#returnspolicy
    http://www.ebuyer.com/help/returns#returnsfaq

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    El_Mayo says thanks.
  15. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I know they're very good with faulty stuff but in the returns policy it says "The item must not be used and must be 'as new' when returned to us. Once you've informed us that you wish to return goods under the DSR, you have 28 calendar days to do so, at your own expense." just seems like a bit of a risk to take on a TV I haven't had a demo of

16. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    This is standard text, go on Amazon or PCWorld, Argos etc and they will all say similar "not used" or "as new". The reality is trading standard says you can return an item if you're not happy with it for a refund within about a month. Shops have little to no power to reject it. I know because I run an online store myself.

They expect you to open it and try it and that isn't a problem. They are trying to stop abusers whom don't return the accessories or return it without the original box etc.

But yes, it will be your own expense to return if it isn't faulty. Saying that do you have a car or van to drive the item home in person?

17. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I'd be able to if I buy from a local PC World or Tesco, but eBuyer's probably not based in Bristol haha. I wouldn't mind buying blind as much if it were a store I can drive it to locally, return it and pick out a new one

Dent1 says thanks.
  18. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    At the end of the day, have faith in the reviews, if feedback is really strong the likelyhood is you won't be dissapointed, I have ordered a couple of TV's online based purely on reviews and maybe I have been lucky as I have been delighted with the products.

I returned a mobile phone once to E Buyer under DSR's and had opened the box and plastic bag, albeit carefully but I didnt try to hide the fact and they took it back and gave me a full refund, although of course I can't speak for everyones experiences.

Dent1 says thanks.
  19. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I agree Tatty_One, it's not even a matter of price, I could buy a phone or even laptop off user reviews, but it's light and cheap to ship back if I don't like it. This TV is gonna be like 20kg and massive, expensive to ship back :(

20. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    I understand, but hey.... life is full of risks!

El_Mayo says thanks.
  21. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    El_Mayo says thanks.