1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best UK Site for Pc parts?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jaywray, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Jaywray New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering to all the UK Powerup guys what's the best site to buy PC parts?
    Not just the cheapest because (I assume) I could probably just go to Ebay and get parts really cheap, but best for price, customer service, postage, etc.

Cheers :)

...Also If anyone has a pc check off list for building a pc... that'd be GREAT.

Edit : Sorry if this has been done before!
  2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Bo$$

Bo$$

Thanks Received:
    ebuyer is best for warranty and customer support
    Jaywray says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    In no particular order: Scan.co.uk, Aria.co.uk, Ebuyer.com and also Ginger6.co.uk; but I mostly use Scan.
    Jaywray says thanks.
  5. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    the ONLY sites i used more then a handful of times are Novatech, Ebuyer, Aria, KustomPc, Kikatek, DABS & SCAN.

I have used awd-it a few times and they have been more then helpful when i ran into trouble with a 5850 that was DOA. - Mind you there are some negative feedback online about awd-it but ive ordered from them on more then one occasion and never had any problems.

Id be somewhat weary of SCAN, they do stock a lot of hardware, but their support can either be great or just fucking down right awful depending who picks up your case.

If a man named Micheal.W replys to your support query then do whatever you can to skip ahead and speak directly with the support manager because that guy will just stonewall you at the first possible oppotunity and he will keep doing it till you genuinely believe deep inside that you have no nope.

I have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with him on multiple occasions. Avoid at all costs....

OCuK have a pretty bad reputation in general from the getgo, but people are saying theyve changed since they were bought out by CaseKing.de - Id still wait for a load of positive reviews before shopping with them.
    Jaywray says thanks.
  6. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Scan is the best.

Aria, eBuyer, ChilledPC, WatercoolingUK and Specialtech are all good.

Like FreedomEclipse said, OcUK are pants (i hate them) but they might be on the improve now.

EDIT:

4,000th post! Means for celebration. Or is it a time to reassess how long i've spent on here?
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
    Jaywray says thanks.
  7. Jaywray New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks to all for opinions and the list :)
    Taking them into consideration :)
  8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't be afraid to try Amazon for peripherals, they sometimes have cheap stuff
  9. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    I've use novatech a lot, there online chat system is pretty good, And although i have never had to return anything I did have a suspect motherboard (turned out to be a bent connector pin when i checked) But they were more than helpful.

Aria have always been pretty good.

Watercooling UK are also good for bits, the delivery can seem a little slow at times, it normally takes 48 hours for them to pick the stock.

All the above companies are excellent with packaging.

The one i would avoid is eclipse computers. Even tho there pretty big, and i live in coventry (their location). I have had loads of problems with returns. They even lost a full hard disc and the paperwork. You have to fight them to get anything returned and that's going into the store. So i certainly wouldn't want to use them online.

Start with CPU.
    Motherboard (matched to cpu)
    Ram (matched to motherboard and cpu)
    Hard drive. (matched to motherboard)
    Graphics card.

Case (matched to graphics card and motherboard size)

Power supply (matched to all components)

DVD/cd

Basically you build from the cpu up.

So

i5 2500K socket 1155
    P67 / Z68 motherboard socket 1155, DDR3 ram, Sata conectors, ATX
    Corsair vengeance ram DDR3 1600Mhz
    Sata hard drive sata3 6Gb/s
    graphics card PCIe 16x

Case to fit all components. mITX uITX ATX mATX FullATX

Power supply needs to be worked out using a PSU calculator depending on your system

DVD/cd needs to work on the motherboard SATA or IDE.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  10. DHughesUK New Member

Thanks Received:
    I generally go with who's cheaper from dabs, ebuyer, watercoolinguk, novatech, cconline, aria, watercoolingUK, specialtech, eclipse, scan, amazon, ebay.

I never buy from OCUK purely because they cost more at the time I come to purchase something but that may change...

Dabs aren't the cheapest but when I buy from them I know I will not have a problem at all with anything.

Aria have stonewalled me too often so I try not to buy from them but they are the only UK site to stock Mushkin Ram. Scan are schizophrenic so will only by from them as a last resort.

Eclipse never been a problem but touch wood never needed to go back to them.

Dabs/Ebuyer.watercoolinguk, amazon, novatech have always been great for support. Dabs the best by far.
  11. Locksmith

Locksmith New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't rate Scan anymore, i used them for 15 yrs and found myself going back a lot more than usual for replacements. personally i think they re-shelf items over and over and also buy cheap dodgey refurbs or so and sell them new, they did start out pirating blobby discs and ps1 hax from there older small shop. naughty naughty.(20 yrs ago)
    i started using Aria, because this shop was local also. never returned anything yet, but beleave they are fantastic rma.

www.aria.co.uk

scan do have better choices of GFX, but aria offer nice good no bother cheap monitors, pixel checked.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012