1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best UPS?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1c3d0g, Jun 8, 2010.

1. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g

Thanks Received:
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    APC is longstanding the best brand in my book. never heard of cyberpower but that doesn't mean they aren't great.

still, i recommend APC.

3. Kona1169 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive actually had 1 or 2 apc's fail on me. although i do have 1 apc still going on a large format printer, i guess its hit and miss but i wouldnt risk it if you need this ups for work.

i can say though that the the 2 ultra ups's and the belkin i have are still running strong.

i think the ultra ones were cheaper but i may be wrong.

make sure you buy the correct power size too right?

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I have one here it loves chewing though batteries lol ( much older model though ). I ended up getting a Cyberpower one although it's around $180 and does fair well and get about 11-18 minutes run time. and thats in game using around 200-415w ( 40" HDTV included(90w) + a home theater(65w)).

BTW what you plan to run of the either one of those ?. I'm asking as you might not get the up time you may think you will. All so a lot of them turn of if your overload them to which was another reason i got a better one.

Had the Cyberpower one now for about 3-4 months and been great even more so this last month were the power is is dodgy as hell. Gotta love summer and the outages :p.

5. Bot

Bot

Thanks Received:
    i bought the CyberPower OR1500LCDRM2U about 6 month ago because my cheap Ultra had a dead battery.
    buying new batteries would have cost me almost as much as buying a new unit.
    it's holding up good so far and got me and my server through a couple of power outages.
    the management software is decent.
    it might be a bit overkill for what you want but i can recommend it.

6. Kona1169 New Member

Thanks Received:
    as i said i think its hit and miss with these things. as i said i have a older apc still running. 1-2 apc crashed. i think the ones i run are around 800-1200 watts for a mac pro with a 30 inch monitor (i think the mac pros run around 800watt psu or something)

7. Divide Overflow

Divide Overflow

Thanks Received:
    I have a CyberPower CP800AVR and it works very nicely for me. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I'll agree with others here that you may want to review your wattage requirements.

The two models you linked are pretty much identical.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah replacment batteries are a pain but if you tell it shut shit down ASAP battery should last hell load longer :).

I was stuck on which Cyberpower to get as some have a better app for controlling them. But wanted one with the front display and under $200 lol. There is one i liked the power was a little less and no display but thew software was more attractive ( + plus a few other feats..

A mac taking 800 - 1200w WTF ?.

9. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, fellas. It'll only be powering my small modem/router combo, so it should suffice (I have a notebook that's connected to it, but it doesn't matter as it has a battery of its own anyways).

I'm mainly looking for a "green" UPS, that is one that doesn't use a lot of energy itself (electricity isn't cheap where I live). Both fit the bill so I'm torn. :(

10. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    have an apc 750watter and the battery is 2 years old and still running strong. the software is also pretty good as it measures the amount of current running through it at any given time and you can adjust the voltage sensitivity for when the backup kicks on.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Kona1169 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wouldnt a 550watt be overkill if you are just running it for a router/modem? im curious, dont they make ups specifially for that router/modem setups?

12. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    please take note there are 5 different types of UPS's, 3 being more dominent.
    http://www.ptsdcs.com/whitepapers/1.pdf

either of thoes 2 will provide a fairly large run time for your router/modem so you could browse the internet on your netbook for quite a long time.
    EDIT:
    from the post below me http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/browse-by-category/soho-ups/CP425HG.html
    will be more then enough power if you only plan to run your modem and router. MORE THEN ENOUGH.

NOTE:
    have you thought about making your own?

it will cost a bit more then the system below but you could run a lot of devices on it for over 4 hours (depending on many batterys you run and what size inverter)

13. Bot

Bot

Thanks Received:
  14. Kona1169 New Member

Thanks Received:
  15. anonemus

anonemus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guys, I just connected a 300W/500VA APC UPS to my rig. The battery is almost a decade old and most probably needs to be replaced.

Will a "defective" UPS damage my PSU and other components?

16. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    decade old? wow, um

i dont think it would damage anything. how long does the battery last and what type of UPS is it?
    in line or?

have you tried turning off the power and see how long it lasts?

17. anonemus

anonemus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not very familiar with UPS. The model name is APC Back-UPS RS 500VA

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=br500i

Purchased in 2000, says the sticker. It actually beeps that the battery needs to be replaced when I turn it on.

I tried turning it off and when I do, my rig immediately turns off as well.

I just put it in last night to see if the battery is really dead. But I'm also using it as surge suppressor and it says something about line filtering...

18. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    fairly sure thats an in-line UPS with line filtering.

open it up and have a look at the battery, find out the Voltage and AH if you can and what type it is.

never mind its a sealed Lead-Acid battery.

if you find out the voltage of the battery you should be able to buy a new one and replace it. who knows you might find a stronger one. (more amp hours)

19. anonemus

anonemus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure there are replacement batteries available locally but I'm hesitant to buy a new one. This is just a temporary UPS as its rated capacity is just 300W. When I load my rig fully (CPU and GPU under OCCT PSU test), the UPS beeps an overload warning.

I need at least 500W UPS, right?

20. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    oh sorry, thort you were only powering the router/modem but that was the other guy :p

depending what you plug into the UPS, 500-700s would be ideal. PC + Screen (60 watts for screen maybe) your prolly pulling somewhere close to 300-350 watts at full load.

if you are overloading it, i would NOT run the pc off it. your overloading the inverter and thats never a good idea. what exacly is plugged into it right now?

anonemus says thanks.
  21. anonemus

anonemus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I plugged my whole system and 23" LCD (see sig) into the UPS currenty :D

22. Chomes New Member

Thanks Received:
  23. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g

Thanks Received:
    Oh yes, I have that same model on another (desktop) PC upstairs. Great UPS! I was also unfortunate to have bought a Tripp-Lite UPS that was rated the same wattage but was about half its size. It didn't last a year before it suddenly died. :(

24. anonemus

anonemus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I decided to ditch my UPS (dead battery) and use regular Auto Voltage Regulator (AVR) and power surge protector instead.

Question: isn't a quality PSU enough to protect from voltage irregularities and power surge/spikes?

25. Kona1169 New Member

Thanks Received:
    just get a anti surge powerbar to plug everything into. you will know that they are as they will have a breaker switch and possibly a light. most powerbars are though i think.