1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

best way to cool an older 9400 quad chip that has one hot core?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by freeboy, Jul 10, 2013.

1. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    it comes with MSI's OC Genie software, has their Military grade stuff and is marketed towards gamers... should do some decent overclocking.

so are you getting a new cpu to go with it? your current cpu won't work with that board.
  2. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    right.. Im looking at this board or the "asus z87 a" for 50$ more.. in a combo price with a intel 7 4th gen 4770k... priced at 339 or the combo with the msi board..
    I am loving the crucial red vengence low latency 2133? chip... 84 free at New Egg....... the holdup is the hundred dollars for the mem and the operating system.... I hate being extorted for a new build for a system I already have paid for... I know.. bad attitude...
  3. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    It will overclock
  4. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    well, I have decided to hold on the new build as this build seems very functional.. I jast ran a battle maxed out on Tot War Nap.. modded... and the card did not move off idle and the problem "hot" core only got to 51C
    thing look good.. a BIG thanks to all the help here..

to recap.. added MC 212 evo... its an ugly build with the 212 sticking out the open side...
    and added a gigbyte 660 TI oc 2 gig....
    things look good... even with the rediculas oem mobo errors and having to fake the cpu fan...
  5. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    ok, after the burn in .. the new under load HOT c temps are.. initially 54 is as hot as I could get the cpu running and now after a week Im seeing normal hot runs in the low to mid 40s, I am very happy... I dont have room in the case to add the hi volume 2nd 212 fan... to do that would require some work or a new case... and as the mobo wont allow oc, it technically will .. but I digress e, the extra fans at this point are somewhat redundant, if my cpu gets at all hot I can add the pull to the push in the evo 212

BUT

Let me say how happy I am with the setup, even having to play games to satisfy the motherboard not recognizing the new fans...
    I was idling on the hot chip in the low 50s, not Its hard to push it and get those temps!
    HUGE hats off to all the helpers here and the folks at CM and the evo 212 is a real jewel... and at 28.99 on sale pretty darn cheap.. like me