1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best way to cut in a case?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by TechnicalFreak, Aug 31, 2010.

1. TechnicalFreak Guest

My case is a CM Mystique.
    Yes, I do have a Dremel.
    No, I'm not skilled doing complicated things with it..

So, what I want to do is have a Razer logo, on both sides. I'll put lexan/plexi glass on the inside and make it "glow".

But, what's the best way to cut out that 3 snake Razer logo with?
    Some people suggested - give the case sides in to someone with a laser/water cutting machine. But that sounds like an expensive thing.

Any other options??
  2. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I would trace the logo or photocopy it onto some thin paper and paste/glue it to the plexi and use a round bit or engraver to do the work, then clean the paper off by soaking it in hot or warm water.
  3. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    A laser cutting rig would obviously be the right tool for the job. Ask around, you might be surprised by the price, but then again you might just be disheartened.

Unfortunately I'm not an expert on case modding but I'm also no stranger to intricate and precise cutting. Depending on the size of the cut you could conceivably use the Dremel and leave yourself a wide berth for filing and sanding to perfection. It would not be fast though.

I'm reminded of The Shawshank Redemption, "That's all it takes really, pressure, and time."
  4. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    A Dremel will work fine for the job.

You will need the router attachment and a steady hand to cut out something that complex though.
    Get you a good size board to practice on and then do your best on your case.
  5. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    When cutting designs in metal I use the small left over cutting discs since it is alot easier to cut the design the smaller the cutting disc is and A LOT OF PATIENCE. When etching designs in plexi I use a diamond cutter accessories.

I've had alot of success using vinyl or etching tape to trace the design on metal just because you can purchase it in narrow strips. For etching the design on plexi I just print a reverse image since I like etching the inside of the panel leaving the outside nice and smooth.
    Crunching for Team TPU