1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

best way to erase data securely from a hdd

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mullered07, Apr 24, 2008.

1. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i need to format my raptor as i sold it on ebay and want a program that will erase data permanently, i used to use a few like window washer and evidence eliminator (which was an excellent program, quite advanced but its support isnt all that great these days and hasnt been updated much since winXP release) it needs to be able to use (correct me if im wrong been a long time since i used such a program) minimum DOD-7 passes - 35passes-Gutmann method, ive had documents from work and my finances inc personal information on this drive and want to be sure none of this can be recovered, thus far ive formatted it about 10 times in windows which should be enough to make any old files recoverable but id like to be sure.

thanks in advance.

2. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Best way is to find a program that will rewrite 0's throught your harddrive. Unless they take the HDD apart and physically try and recover the data they don't really have a chance.

4. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    awwwww i really dont want to mess about burning an iso and waiting for it to run in DOS :laugh:, are there any windows utilities you know of ?

5. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    It would take you about a minute (maybe even two) to download DBAN, burn it to a disc, pop it in, and restart.

6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Data LifeGuard Diagnostics from WD lets you write all zeros to your drive.

7. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    O IC....

You want a perfect, one-click solution. .35 cal slug.
    (doesn't help the resale value much.:rolleyes:)

8. echo75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dunno if he was jerking my leg but i have actually heard from a friend who works with the police here in Denmark that irrespective of any program you may use they can ALWAYS get the data back , here they use some lab in Norway that works for the cops and its just a matter of time. But that info must be really something of worthy interest for them to go to such lengths of trouble and not just "petty stuff "data .

The only foolproff way is physical destruction of the disk!! if i am hiding something so important , i would destroy the whole disk and not bother about a few quid for a new disk.

The programs available like those mentioned above are though fine for eliminating data for the general public.

9. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    +1

I use the floppy version, its a bit slower than the CD version (which is optimized for dual cores) but I found that the newer cd version recognized my Front card reader and then failed to wipe.

Use it every time. (probably far to often, lol, but it keeps my computer clean!)