1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best way to format second hard drive?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DublinDude, Apr 20, 2010.

1. DublinDude

DublinDude New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I recently bought a new drive and installed everything on it. I still have the original drive in there and want to use it as extra storage. So I need to remove the old OS and stuff.

What is the best way to format this drive. Also, once thats done can I install programs on it. For example, when installing a program and it prompts for install folder (C:/Program files) I can use the D: instead?

Cheers!

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    should be able to use the windows disc management tools, or find a copy of UBCD, Solaris' boot utility CD, or even go the the HDD manufacturer and download their hard drive suite. Just be sure to pick the correct drive letter when you are doing this.

DublinDude says thanks.
  3. DublinDude

DublinDude New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just out of curiousity, I just did a normal format by right clicking on the drive and selecting format!

I went to install Office whose default installation folder is Program Files (x86) on the C: drive. However, I just created a folder called Program Files on my second drive without the (x86). Will this be a problem?

4. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    Generally not, but there might be an app that freaks out about not being on the C drive.

5. bucd

Thanks Received:
    This should be ok. Just remember that most applications even installed on another drive (like D:\whatever) will still install system files on the C:\ (windows\system32, local profile, etc.)

So if you ever go to reinstall your OS. Those apps may need to be reinstalled again.

Another thing to note. Games, if you install them on a 2nd hard drive. The game save usually defaults to your local profile on the C:\ drive. So be sure to back those up (if you want to keep your gave saves that is) when you reformat/reinstall your OS.

-D

DublinDude says thanks.