1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best way to spread some MX2?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ShadowFold, Feb 20, 2008.

1. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I got my Freezer 7 I just used the pre-applied MX2 on the bottom but now ive wiped it off because im getting a new board so I need to know the best way to spread it and put it on. I was thinking of putting a little bit on the cpu while its in the board and mashing the cooler on so it spreads itself but im not sure if thats the best way to do it.
  2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Dual core eh... yeah just put a dab on it and use the "compression" method (what you're talking about).

For Quads, spread it out... sandwich bag...
    ShadowFold says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright so just put a dab and let the cooler do the spreading? Sounds good :) Anyone else have anything?
  4. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
  5. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had problems spreading it because as soon as it hit the cold copper, it kind of firmed-up and wouldn't spread. It started peeling up, like drying glue or paint. Try spreading it cold once, you'll understand...

My solution: keep a bowl of HOT water and press the MX-2 cap on tight. Soak the tube for a couple minutes. While you do that, grab a hair dryer and hit your heatsink with it until it's good and warm. move quickly to the next step.

I just use a little piece or plastic wrap (Saran) around my index finger. Press a little MX-2 on your finger and spread evenly and quickly making sure you don't leave any voids or bubbles.

Now you're good to go!
    ShadowFold says thanks.
  6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah only put like a grain of rice sized dab on the center of the IHS where the core would be if you took the IHS off. If you want, you could try getting some 1000 grit, 1600 grit, then 2000 grit and lapping the cooler... and then the IHS...

if you want to go to extremes you could take the IHS off, clean off the stuff they used, pt AS5 on the core (spread it out, use very little), and put the IHS back on with superglue. Beware, it's probably welded on. I'm not responsable for damages, yo.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've applied MX-2 every which way you can. You can use a whole tube if you want without messing things up (other than making a mess), but a half-pea size drop on the processor will do fine. It's just a matter of not wasting the stuff.
    ShadowFold says thanks.
  8. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL No thanks Hat! That guide was nice, thanks. I will probly do what spankenstein said because that seems the easiest and I dont want to miss any spots on it.
  9. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you've EVER worked with MX-2, you'd understand that it's kinda different than AS5. It gets quite "sticky" when cold where AS5 got kinda "grainy" if you spread it cold.
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't get it too hot though, it can separate a bit and get a little runny. ;)

AS5 can be hard as a rock, and it can separate too. MX-2 is so much easier.. and idiot proof.
  11. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea I found a old Celeron from '02 I just tried to spread some on it and like you said it just clots up and gets wiped away with the plastic..
  12. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, first time I did that I was like: "Ermm, this is NOT fun..."

Once I got it on though, it is noticeably better at transferring heat than AS5.:toast: