1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best wireless gaming keyboard?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Yo_Wattup, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Interesting...and as this is the case I guess you get props for not saying "Aw screw it" and just getting a console. Though obviously that would mean not using a KB and mouse.

A long ass USB extender cable couldn't work? Would just get in way?

2. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    THanks, it is about half the price of the next cheapest on my list, so it makes sense.

Faecal matter looks better than console graphics. :D And yeah, a long ass cable would get in the way. :)

3. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    So i ended getting the wave keyboard + mouse combo AND the K800. I find it hard to choose between the two. I love the comfort of the wave and the extra keys, but the feel of the domes is not great. The feel is good for gaming but not so much for typing. The K800 is the other way round, nice feeling domes for typing, but less multimedia keys...

When I do decide though, I will be giving the other board to my girlfriend as she needs a new keyboard too.

I'm leaning towards the K800 and the gf likes the wave keyboard... decisions decisions....

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I never liked gaming with wireless, but I have the Logitech Wave is a nice keyboard, I have the wired version but there is a wireless version of it too. When it comes to mice wireless isn't an option with gaming imho, I've had a logitech G5, G500, and I'm now on my second G500.

5. amythompson172 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am in love with my Logitech 920 Gaming Keyboard G510!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAK16O/?tag=tec06d-20

I got this as a replacement for my g15, the one with the 18 G keys. That keyboard was starting to flicker some and even had paint worn out where my hand would be for gaming. Anyways, one problem I have is you can't change the angle of the screen like with the g15, and this keyboard's screen just isn't at quite the right angle. I can still read what's on the screen fine, but it could be at a better angle. It doesn't have brightness changing, only on and off. Which brings me to the choice in colors, I think it's pretty cool, but find blue to be too dark to see and needs a bit more oomph before I'd choose to use it. That being said I do think the green color looks pretty cool even though my computer has blue led fans which doesn't match. I do like that the windows button disabler is now a switch so you don't forget like I had with the g15 and keep wondering why you can't hit the start button, then think it's windows and restart. I would have liked to see separate cables for the audio that branch off near the usb end so you don't have the poor quality of usb sound and make my soundcard useless. It would also be nice if you could plug just the mic into the keyboard and still get audio from a sound card. My mic picks up my computer fans over ventrilo, but not other programs so I thought maybe the keyboard would fix that possibly. I also think it would be neat to have the ability to assign the volume scroll wheel to a certain program as I never adjust my windows volume, just the volume of whatever program I'm using. It would be good too if the mute microphone or headphone was software and not the built in audio hardware. I do think they also did a good job on the size of it as the g15 was a behemoth. I speak of the cons most because that's usually what I use to decide upon a product, this one still has a lot to offer, but I also say these things so that maybe the manufacturer will hear about these things and edit some of their designs in the future.

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I personally think that the LCD display on the keyboard is rather superfluous and is just a point to make the keyboard more expensive than it needs to be. Nor is it ergonomic, but that is just my opinion. To each there own.

7. bokou

bokou New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never really made use of the screen on my Logitech... would be interested in getting a nice wireless kb to replace it and a nice wireless mouse to replace my old Razer. I'll be getting a third monitor shortly and just really want less desk clutter and the ability to unhook my system, grab my spare monitor, and walk out with the system. As of now I have to spend 4-5 minutes moving the monitors to get to the hole in the back of the desk to fish out the USB cables that end up getting hung on something else blah blah.

8. march10k New Member

Thanks Received:
    I realize how old this thread is, but I can't resist. This is absolutely inane. Yes, manufacturers have a reason for making only wired, never wireless, peripherals for gamers. It's called supply and demand. Gamers demand wired, that's the only reason. They're not trying to deliver the best product, they're trying to deliver the best-selling product. Do gamers really know whether the 2013 (or 2011, for that matter) generation of wireless keyboards is, or can be, as fast as a wired peripheral? No. But they're stuck on wired peripherals because "everyone knows" that wireless is laggy. Yeah, when it was a new technology. Just like the average 17 year old kid could work a stick shift more quickly and more intelligently than an automatic transmission could do it for him. In the 70s. Think that's still true in 2013? That wasn't true (at least for the top of the line) in 2000. Hell, Michael Schumacher would be hard-pressed to outshift the automatic transmission in my '06 Chrysler. Yet, ask the average punk with a stick shift rustang, and he'll swear a holy oath that he can row the gears better than any computer ever made.

This is as dumb as people who hook up their home networks with cat 5, scratch that, cat 6, because it's so much faster than wireless...and then all of the traffic they're moving is delivered by Comcast at 1/4 the bandwidth of wireless.

The only reason for going with a wired keyboard is to get stuff like the red/blue/brown switches, macros, backlighting, and crap like that. Being wireless will NOT affect your kill/death ratio.

(brought to you on a logitech MK700 that I can put in a drawer when I'm using my bamboo or a #2 pencil at my desk)

/rant

9. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    i personally love it for WoW and Core Temp lcd apps

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. march10k New Member

Thanks Received:
    That would be nice...personally, I use core temp to tell me when to clean the intakes on my ATSC 840, since I don't need to OC.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  11. ice_v

ice_v

Thanks Received:
    Kickstarter People out there...are you reading this?

This is so true now... I'm sick of these expensive ultra pro wired gaming keyboards...I'm playing on a OLD wireless EX110 Logitech...this stuff is 2005 old, it's a good wireless keyboard but now it's kinda reaching the end of cycle...I don't know if it will make it another year. And I do not want a wired keyboard...I have enough wires around my desk already!

My point is: you type wireless gaming keyboard in to Google search tab, this forum page is the top result. Now, I'm not a browser expert, but I'm pretty damn sure it means there's quite a crowd out there that's begging for a decent wireless gaming keyboard.

Kickstarter is getting full of stupid projects...will someone with some skills and passion please address this huge gap in the gaming peripherals market?

All I need is wireless keyboard that has:

- basic antighosting (press at least 6 keys at once)
    - an LED that shows when battery is low
    - not to cheap plastics
    - under 80$ Market price

You start with that and you will have my pledge! Just do it already :)

12. DarrenVortex New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hack It!

Ehlo persons,
    I find this discussion party-cularly interesting. Just wanted to interrupt to mention that there are currently (and unfortunately) NO legitimate gaming & wireless keyboards out there. I know that there are some mentioned in this post, but I've personally tried all of them and, well, they just don't meet my standards (especially no backlit really sucks)

As for reasoning, some stuff that come to top of my head right now are:
    1. Battery (costs more for manufacturer, might run out in the middle of gaming, baklit keyboards suck up power)
    2. Stability (it's harder to keep a
    3. Culture (gamer culture tends to like WIRES, that's also why it condemns Apple products since they're slick and wireless and comfy looking. Gamers tend to like more Hardcore stuff, and even though that's just a culture, but wires give a more hardcore sense.)
    4. Cost (wireless gaming keyboards with backlit and all those other fancy stuff are going to be EXPENSIVE, even more than their current astronomical price. so less likely to be bought)

But still, none of these reasons above are valid or legitimate enough to prevent companies from doing so and it's still their fault for not trying this at least for once. I do hope this actually happens one day.

As for solution: I'm working on a hack right now, there is a way to turn your wired keyboard into a wireless keyboard with a bit of tinkering (i did this with my headphone), after I get it done, I'll publish an instructable. So be tuned.

13. Jgoose New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. welly31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go for the XArmor wireless mechanical keyboard. Its the only wireless mechanical that I know of and I've had one for over a year now and it still works great. The only issue I've had is that the Lettering on a few of the keys is fading. Other than that its been great and I believe it uses cherry mx brown switches.

15. Locksmith

Locksmith

Thanks Received:
    Please don,t buy a Razor k/b or mouse they are insanely shit products. I speak from experience, Razor deathadder mouse died after 3 month, it just gave up, and this k/b im using is a razer lycosa pile of shit keyboard that feels like lego built k/b by a 3 yr old..

i am looking to buy a sidewinder soon and replace this light up bag of shit k/b

Peace..
    o yea wired Brother.. wired!

16. Boozad

Boozad

Thanks Received:
    I've got the X4 and it's a great keyboard at the price point.

17. Tiffanimk New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is absolutely NO noticeable lag with current wireless keyboards. I utilize casting bars (quartz) and have never seen a delay from striking the hotkey to the spell actually casting. Anyone who doubts that, prove it. If milliseconds matter, then definitely go wired. But there is absolutely a market for wireless gaming keyboards, I've been searching for 3 years now and have seen many inquiries.

I've been using the Logitech k750 and personally I don't like it. It's a basic keyboard with backlighting. 4 keys have broken off so far and the battery life sucks (USB recharge). I like the feel tho, but hate the windows key.

I am once again searching for a decent wireless (gaming) keyboard. What was the final verdict? Is the mechanical keyboard listed above a good option?

18. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Logitech MK550

They are tanks!! Dropped it, spilled liquid and food on it, stepped on it and smashed it in FPS rage...nothing! All work fine and you don't even need to bother to buy extra warranty.If the keyboard last you the 1 year of manufacturer it will last until you don't see prints anymore. 1200mAh AA batteries will last 3-4 months on a basis of 5-6 hours a day.