• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best wireless gaming keyboard?

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I mightve mentioned it briefly but the reason is because to have the best gaming experience, my surroundings must be comfortable. I have a couch and an LCD TV for this reason, and since the couch is a little way back from the TV, a cord for the keyboard is undesirable. Also sometimes we have big chill sessions where we pass the keyboard and mouse around (to the other side of the room).

Interesting...and as this is the case I guess you get props for not saying "Aw screw it" and just getting a console. Though obviously that would mean not using a KB and mouse.

A long ass USB extender cable couldn't work? Would just get in way?

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
The Gigabyte GK-KM7600 is Junk in my opinion. My girlfriend has that keyboard but a wired version. The keys stick right out of the box. And its just junkey. Based on my experience i wont buy another Gigabyte keyboard.

Avoid it :D

THanks, it is about half the price of the next cheapest on my list, so it makes sense.

Interesting...and as this is the case I guess you get props for not saying "Aw screw it" and just getting a console. Though obviously that would mean not using a KB and mouse.

A long ass USB extender cable couldn't work? Would just get in way?

Faecal matter looks better than console graphics. :D And yeah, a long ass cable would get in the way. :)

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
So i ended getting the wave keyboard + mouse combo AND the K800. I find it hard to choose between the two. I love the comfort of the wave and the extra keys, but the feel of the domes is not great. The feel is good for gaming but not so much for typing. The K800 is the other way round, nice feeling domes for typing, but less multimedia keys...

When I do decide though, I will be giving the other board to my girlfriend as she needs a new keyboard too.

I'm leaning towards the K800 and the gf likes the wave keyboard... decisions decisions....

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I never liked gaming with wireless, but I have the Logitech Wave is a nice keyboard, I have the wired version but there is a wireless version of it too. When it comes to mice wireless isn't an option with gaming imho, I've had a logitech G5, G500, and I'm now on my second G500.

amythompson172

I am in love with my Logitech 920 Gaming Keyboard G510!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAK16O/?tag=tec06d-20

I got this as a replacement for my g15, the one with the 18 G keys. That keyboard was starting to flicker some and even had paint worn out where my hand would be for gaming. Anyways, one problem I have is you can't change the angle of the screen like with the g15, and this keyboard's screen just isn't at quite the right angle. I can still read what's on the screen fine, but it could be at a better angle. It doesn't have brightness changing, only on and off. Which brings me to the choice in colors, I think it's pretty cool, but find blue to be too dark to see and needs a bit more oomph before I'd choose to use it. That being said I do think the green color looks pretty cool even though my computer has blue led fans which doesn't match. I do like that the windows button disabler is now a switch so you don't forget like I had with the g15 and keep wondering why you can't hit the start button, then think it's windows and restart. I would have liked to see separate cables for the audio that branch off near the usb end so you don't have the poor quality of usb sound and make my soundcard useless. It would also be nice if you could plug just the mic into the keyboard and still get audio from a sound card. My mic picks up my computer fans over ventrilo, but not other programs so I thought maybe the keyboard would fix that possibly. I also think it would be neat to have the ability to assign the volume scroll wheel to a certain program as I never adjust my windows volume, just the volume of whatever program I'm using. It would be good too if the mute microphone or headphone was software and not the built in audio hardware. I do think they also did a good job on the size of it as the g15 was a behemoth. I speak of the cons most because that's usually what I use to decide upon a product, this one still has a lot to offer, but I also say these things so that maybe the manufacturer will hear about these things and edit some of their designs in the future.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I am in love with my Logitech 920 Gaming Keyboard G510!

I personally think that the LCD display on the keyboard is rather superfluous and is just a point to make the keyboard more expensive than it needs to be. Nor is it ergonomic, but that is just my opinion. To each there own.

bokou

System Name The Beast 2
Processor AMD Phenom II 965 OC'd: 3.9ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G-Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 6970
Storage WDl 7200rpm 500gb
Display(s) Acer 21" LCD, Westinghouse 21" LCD
Case Coolermaster HAF932
Audio Device(s) On-board 7.1 SupremeFX
Power Supply Xion 800w Modular
Software Windows 7, Steam, BFBC2, TF2, Adobe CS5
Benchmark Scores 20k+ on 3dMark06, will have to look at exact number
I've never really made use of the screen on my Logitech... would be interested in getting a nice wireless kb to replace it and a nice wireless mouse to replace my old Razer. I'll be getting a third monitor shortly and just really want less desk clutter and the ability to unhook my system, grab my spare monitor, and walk out with the system. As of now I have to spend 4-5 minutes moving the monitors to get to the hole in the back of the desk to fish out the USB cables that end up getting hung on something else blah blah.

march10k

System Name Death Star (it's the HUGE black case, lol)
Processor i7 920
Motherboard GA-EX58-UD5
Cooling noctua NH-U12P
Memory Gskill 3x2 DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) XFX black 7970
Storage WD green 1TB
Display(s) Acer X233H
Case CM ATSC 840
Audio Device(s) none (titanium fatality champion....died)
Power Supply CM UCP 700w 80+ silver
Software yes
You can say whatever you want...

However, it doesnt change the fact that 99% of all GAMING keyboards that are made are WIRED keyboards.

Not too sure how much these companies pour into the R&D department but its probably a lot more then what you earn in a week let alone an hour. There must be a reason why wired is more popular then wireless peripherals. Look at all the top gaming keyboards from logitech, Saitek, Razer, Thermaltake, steelseries & Roccat - Are you going to tell me that each of these brands waste hundred upon thousands of pounds/dollars/yen etc etc making wired gaming peripherals and are misleading gamers?

If you have a R&D budget bigger then all these companies combined then of course, Id say youre right

I realize how old this thread is, but I can't resist. This is absolutely inane. Yes, manufacturers have a reason for making only wired, never wireless, peripherals for gamers. It's called supply and demand. Gamers demand wired, that's the only reason. They're not trying to deliver the best product, they're trying to deliver the best-selling product. Do gamers really know whether the 2013 (or 2011, for that matter) generation of wireless keyboards is, or can be, as fast as a wired peripheral? No. But they're stuck on wired peripherals because "everyone knows" that wireless is laggy. Yeah, when it was a new technology. Just like the average 17 year old kid could work a stick shift more quickly and more intelligently than an automatic transmission could do it for him. In the 70s. Think that's still true in 2013? That wasn't true (at least for the top of the line) in 2000. Hell, Michael Schumacher would be hard-pressed to outshift the automatic transmission in my '06 Chrysler. Yet, ask the average punk with a stick shift rustang, and he'll swear a holy oath that he can row the gears better than any computer ever made.

This is as dumb as people who hook up their home networks with cat 5, scratch that, cat 6, because it's so much faster than wireless...and then all of the traffic they're moving is delivered by Comcast at 1/4 the bandwidth of wireless.

The only reason for going with a wired keyboard is to get stuff like the red/blue/brown switches, macros, backlighting, and crap like that. Being wireless will NOT affect your kill/death ratio.

(brought to you on a logitech MK700 that I can put in a drawer when I'm using my bamboo or a #2 pencil at my desk)

/rant

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
I personally think that the LCD display on the keyboard is rather superfluous

i personally love it for WoW and Core Temp lcd apps

march10k

System Name Death Star (it's the HUGE black case, lol)
Processor i7 920
Motherboard GA-EX58-UD5
Cooling noctua NH-U12P
Memory Gskill 3x2 DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) XFX black 7970
Storage WD green 1TB
Display(s) Acer X233H
Case CM ATSC 840
Audio Device(s) none (titanium fatality champion....died)
Power Supply CM UCP 700w 80+ silver
Software yes
i personally love it for WoW and Core Temp lcd apps

That would be nice...personally, I use core temp to tell me when to clean the intakes on my ATSC 840, since I don't need to OC.

System Name ICE
Processor AMD 1090t
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Thermaltake MaxORB EX
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4Gb DDR3@1866
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX670 OC
Storage SSD 128Gb Samsung 840 pro + 2x500Gb sata HDD
Display(s) Samsung 2233RZ@120Hz
Case CM Storm Enforcer
Power Supply Corsair AX760 80Platinum
Software Win 7 - 64 bit
Kickstarter People out there...are you reading this?

I realize how old this thread is, but I can't resist. This is absolutely inane. Yes, manufacturers have a reason for making only wired, never wireless, peripherals for gamers. It's called supply and demand. Gamers demand wired, that's the only reason. They're not trying to deliver the best product, they're trying to deliver the best-selling product. Do gamers really know whether the 2013 (or 2011, for that matter) generation of wireless keyboards is, or can be, as fast as a wired peripheral? No. But they're stuck on wired peripherals because "everyone knows" that wireless is laggy. Yeah, when it was a new technology. Just like the average 17 year old kid could work a stick shift more quickly and more intelligently than an automatic transmission could do it for him. In the 70s. Think that's still true in 2013? That wasn't true (at least for the top of the line) in 2000. Hell, Michael Schumacher would be hard-pressed to outshift the automatic transmission in my '06 Chrysler. Yet, ask the average punk with a stick shift rustang, and he'll swear a holy oath that he can row the gears better than any computer ever made.

This is as dumb as people who hook up their home networks with cat 5, scratch that, cat 6, because it's so much faster than wireless...and then all of the traffic they're moving is delivered by Comcast at 1/4 the bandwidth of wireless.

The only reason for going with a wired keyboard is to get stuff like the red/blue/brown switches, macros, backlighting, and crap like that. Being wireless will NOT affect your kill/death ratio.

(brought to you on a logitech MK700 that I can put in a drawer when I'm using my bamboo or a #2 pencil at my desk)

/rant

This is so true now... I'm sick of these expensive ultra pro wired gaming keyboards...I'm playing on a OLD wireless EX110 Logitech...this stuff is 2005 old, it's a good wireless keyboard but now it's kinda reaching the end of cycle...I don't know if it will make it another year. And I do not want a wired keyboard...I have enough wires around my desk already!

My point is: you type wireless gaming keyboard in to Google search tab, this forum page is the top result. Now, I'm not a browser expert, but I'm pretty damn sure it means there's quite a crowd out there that's begging for a decent wireless gaming keyboard.

Kickstarter is getting full of stupid projects...will someone with some skills and passion please address this huge gap in the gaming peripherals market?

All I need is wireless keyboard that has:

- basic antighosting (press at least 6 keys at once)
- an LED that shows when battery is low
- not to cheap plastics
- under 80$ Market price

You start with that and you will have my pledge! Just do it already :)

DarrenVortex

Hack It!

Ehlo persons,
I find this discussion party-cularly interesting. Just wanted to interrupt to mention that there are currently (and unfortunately) NO legitimate gaming & wireless keyboards out there. I know that there are some mentioned in this post, but I've personally tried all of them and, well, they just don't meet my standards (especially no backlit really sucks)

As for reasoning, some stuff that come to top of my head right now are:
1. Battery (costs more for manufacturer, might run out in the middle of gaming, baklit keyboards suck up power)
2. Stability (it's harder to keep a
3. Culture (gamer culture tends to like WIRES, that's also why it condemns Apple products since they're slick and wireless and comfy looking. Gamers tend to like more Hardcore stuff, and even though that's just a culture, but wires give a more hardcore sense.)
4. Cost (wireless gaming keyboards with backlit and all those other fancy stuff are going to be EXPENSIVE, even more than their current astronomical price. so less likely to be bought)

But still, none of these reasons above are valid or legitimate enough to prevent companies from doing so and it's still their fault for not trying this at least for once. I do hope this actually happens one day.

As for solution: I'm working on a hack right now, there is a way to turn your wired keyboard into a wireless keyboard with a bit of tinkering (i did this with my headphone), after I get it done, I'll publish an instructable. So be tuned.

welly31

Go for the XArmor wireless mechanical keyboard. Its the only wireless mechanical that I know of and I've had one for over a year now and it still works great. The only issue I've had is that the Lettering on a few of the keys is fading. Other than that its been great and I believe it uses cherry mx brown switches.

System Name Raptor Lake
Processor 13900KF
Motherboard Rog Strix Z790-E Gaming Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 ti Suprim X
Storage Samsung 970 Pro SSD(512) NVMe + 850 evo ssd (500) WD 2GB NVME pcie4
Display(s) Samsung Neo 32inch curved 240hz
Case THERMALTAKE CORE X2
Audio Device(s) Rotel 1572 mk ii
Power Supply 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Steel Series Apex Pro
Software windows 11Pro x64
Please don,t buy a Razor k/b or mouse they are insanely shit products. I speak from experience, Razor deathadder mouse died after 3 month, it just gave up, and this k/b im using is a razer lycosa pile of shit keyboard that feels like lego built k/b by a 3 yr old..

i am looking to buy a sidewinder soon and replace this light up bag of shit k/b

Peace..
o yea wired Brother.. wired!

Processor i5-4670k
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Titan Triple Copper Heatpipe
Memory 8gb (2x4gb kit) Kingston HyperX Genesis Dual-DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Palit 3gb GTX 780
Storage 240GB Intel 550 Series SSD, 2TB WD Caviar Black x2, 2TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster S24B300
Case CoolerMaster Silencio 650
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 5.1
Power Supply Corsair Pro Series HX850-80 Gold Modular
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark - 7893
i am looking to buy a sidewinder soon and replace this light up bag of shit k/b

I've got the X4 and it's a great keyboard at the price point.

Tiffanimk

There is absolutely NO noticeable lag with current wireless keyboards. I utilize casting bars (quartz) and have never seen a delay from striking the hotkey to the spell actually casting. Anyone who doubts that, prove it. If milliseconds matter, then definitely go wired. But there is absolutely a market for wireless gaming keyboards, I've been searching for 3 years now and have seen many inquiries.

I've been using the Logitech k750 and personally I don't like it. It's a basic keyboard with backlighting. 4 keys have broken off so far and the battery life sucks (USB recharge). I like the feel tho, but hate the windows key.

I am once again searching for a decent wireless (gaming) keyboard. What was the final verdict? Is the mechanical keyboard listed above a good option?

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.00/6M/1333
Motherboard AsRock G31M-GS R2.0
Cooling CoolerMaster Vortex 752 - Black
Memory 4 Go (2x2) Kingston ValueRam DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Asus EN8600GT/HTDP/512M
Storage WD 3200AAKS
Display(s) 32" Irico E320GV-FHD
Case Aerocool Qx-2000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker 2 - 465w
Mouse Logitech Wave MK550 combo (M510)
Keyboard Logitech Wave MK550 combo (K350)
Software Win_7_Pro-French
Benchmark Scores Windows index : 6.5 / 6.5 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 5.9
Logitech MK550

They are tanks!! Dropped it, spilled liquid and food on it, stepped on it and smashed it in FPS rage...nothing! All work fine and you don't even need to bother to buy extra warranty.If the keyboard last you the 1 year of manufacturer it will last until you don't see prints anymore. 1200mAh AA batteries will last 3-4 months on a basis of 5-6 hours a day.

If your priority is having a good rest after school or work and playing a couple of fights or screw up the game play in Dota while sitting on the couch one of the best keyboard for this CM Storm QuickFire. I read about this here . It's cool!