• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Beta X-Fi driver adds support for features that went missing in Vista

Either they reworked the Daniel_K drivers, got him working for them, or decided to let us all play with their beta drivers while their lazy-ass developers are on another break.

Dolby® Digital and DTS® driver decode re-established for sound cards that included decoding in their Windows XP drivers (Not applicable for products that included a 3rd party software DVD player license in the package).
DVD-Audio playback re-established for sound cards that included the application in their Windows XP software suite (For Windows Vista 32-bit only).

http://support.creative.com/Product...laster&prodID=14066&prodName=X-Fi+XtremeMusic

The driver came out on the 2nd of June, but I've only just decided to update drivers.

Not sure if anyone else had spotted this, but decided to post, sorry if I missed a thread about it.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
bet that daniel_k's hand is in here

Ah, they also have a newly updated Linux driver, just a bit below it, supporting 32/64-bit Linux.
Well, it really seems Daniel-K helped kick their arses into gear actually.
Creative makes good soundcards, it just really needs to make software that compares with them.

EDIT:
I guess the Linux driver was mostly because OSS or ALSA, can't remember which at the moment, has added rudimentary support for X-Fis.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Creative seems to be opening up with their drivers, to the extent of making them feature-rich, if not trouble-free. Apparently, it's company policy that 3rd party driver coders should share their code with Creative. So you know what followed. It's not that Daniel's work brought in these features though, just that increased competition is taking toll on Creative.

Ripper, that's OSS, though the OSS xfi.so module only lets you 16-bit 44.1 kHz stereo output from a X-Fi card, nothing more.

Well, increased competition is good for us, and I do hope they continue with the driver updates.

Thanks for correcting me, and like I said, rudimentary support is still rudimentary support. Before Creative released these new Linux drivers, people on 32-bit really had no other option, and it certainly was better than no sound at all.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Well its about time.

W

wolf2009

i'm new to x-fi . so what will this driver exactly do ? whats up with dolby and dts ? sorry new to this.

anyone installed this ? working perfectly ?

When Vista came out, it sort of changed the way that drivers and sound cards communicated or sumat. I'm really not too interested in it, so I'm not too knowledgable on the subject, but basically, the drivers needed a rework to be able to work under Vista in the same way with the features of XP, and they've now finally added them.
Basically, Vista users now have the same features from their X-Fis as XP users.

W

wolf2009

so does that improve sound quality in any way or EAX in games coz i am getting a crash in fear with a certain mod. without the mod the game starts and runs fine .

also i have drivers, volume panel, and alchemy installed, do i have to uninstall all these and install this beta driver and those things again ?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The limitations that Vista sets stay. There still isn't a direct API-level interface for between DirectSound apps and the hardware, it's worked around by API-translation to OpenAL.

Features that are "new" include DD and DTS decode over SPDIF. Like any other DD/DTS decode supportive sound card, you have to configure your AC-3 filter to pass output over a working SPDIF line like, for example,:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
so does that improve sound quality in any way or EAX in games coz i am getting a crash in fear with a certain mod. without the mod the game starts and runs fine .

also i have drivers, volume panel, and alchemy installed, do i have to uninstall all these and install this beta driver and those things again ?

no - you don't need to unistall the software to install new drivers, the driver set comes with new software that will usually copy over the files already on your PC.

the drivers won't improve sound quality, but they improve functionality and capability - Vista is the big issue, though, as the audio architecture is drastically different than with XP, there have been a lot of ongoing headaches with the drivers.

To the best of my understanding, the new beta drivers have re-enabled Dolby features for Vista, features that were removed (IMO, temporarily) from an older driver set.

If you're getting crashes with one particular game, make sure ALchemy and OpenAL are up to date (probably are anyhow).

This might actually be more unstable, I would hold-off on the update, these are Beta drivers for the moment, and if you don't have audio equipment compatible with Dolby Digital and DTS, then I don't think it's worth the update.

That mod will keep crashing, unless it's directly linked to the audio, and even then, it's likely it might not improve after this update.

W

wolf2009

EAX works fine in fear with alchemy, but with the mod the game does not start . The mod worked fine until i decided to put in alchemy's supported list of games.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
EAX works fine in fear with alchemy, but with the mod the game does not start . The mod worked fine until i decided to put in alchemy's supported list of games.

does the mod use a spererate executable? If so, add that to the ALchemy list - it's worth a shot.

W

wolf2009

does the mod use a spererate executable? If so, add that to the ALchemy list - it's worth a shot.

ya , the modder told me to make a shortcut of the original exe and add something in the target line. I'll try to add it to alchemy . Thx .